Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest You have $500 in parts for a future project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Sep 8, 2018.

1. You have 500 dollars in parts for a future project, that u acumulated because they were at a good price at some point,yet you paid 1000 for a year in a storage unit.
    Is it worth it?
    Do some of you guys wait til you are ready to start your project and pay what ever price for the parts?

Or are u like me paying storage dragging heavy rusty greasy shit across state lines cuz u might need it someday?

2. Don't pay storage fees, but I moved way too much heavy car parts last year when I moved 1500 miles cross country. I have parts that are waiting for a future project, so yes guilty of collecting parts before the project is even started.

enloe and wingnutz like this.
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If I can't store it here, I dont buy it. I do have alot of attic space and shop space( less air to heat:D)

enloe and mrchewie like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I agree with the guy above, if I can't keep it here, I don't buy it. I have been known to buy a place with more storage space if I run out of room though...
    After a couple of rounds with downsizing, I'm back to if I can't keep it here, I don't buy it. Lately, I'm just buying things for the current project, one project at a time gets them finished faster. Gene

enloe likes this.

5. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I too only buy what I can store. Makes no sense at all to spend twice what the parts are worth in one year. If you dont use them for another year you will have spent $2500.00on $500.00 worth of parts. That aint good math.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. This is why I live out in the middle of nowhere. I have all the room I need for projects and buildings to put shit in.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe, RMONTY, F&J and 2 others like this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My sister bought new furniture for a house she was going to build. He husband became very ill with a dibilitating but long term disease. House didn’t get built, furniture in storage for a long time. We had discussion one day in which this came up. Do the math. For the price of storage she paid she could have bought several sets of new furniture. Suggested she get rid of furniture and storage unit immediately. She did and still not able to build new house, but is no longer wasting money on storing something she can’t use. Same math applies for car parts.

Ray

fauj and Blue One like this.
  8. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I have extra room, but I seem to collect stuff for someday projects. But now I'm realizing that some of these projects might not get done. So I've been slowly getting rid of stuff.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Some of my projects took years to collect all the stuff, racing seats became furniture for watching TV, engine parts became living room decorations,grille shell on the wall, 2x4 intake coffe table art, now I'm collecting only those parts I can easily store, I've had to pass up some real deals because I had no place to put them.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I dont have room or a use, I dont drag it home. When a shop in Spokane closed last spring I could of had a 427 rebuilt shortblock and a Ford 302 rebuilt shortblock practically given to me but I have too much shit to trip over already.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is Storage Wars still on?:confused::confused:

Bob

wicarnut likes this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you have $500 worth of parts that you don’t have a place to keep and have to pay twice what they’re worth for a year storing them then you have a couple of things neither of which does much for you.
    One is questionable logic and the other is a project that using that kind of planning isn’t likely to get done.

13. scotts52

scotts52

If you find anything like that again let me know, I'll make the drive up to get it. I keep dragging home anything and everything I find that is cheap or free. Some I use, some becomes trading material.

The37Kid likes this.
  14. Hey Seth!!!

My opinion, I will not pay to store anything.
    If it doesn't fit in my own place, it's gone.

15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Always thought I should build and rent storage buildings.
    The ones near me are always full and the renters seem to have no issues paying $1000 or more year after year to store junk that wouldn't bring $500 at a flea market or swap
    Defies any sane logic.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Short term, like a month max... is a good storage term. Like you are moving, but otherwise stash it with a friend or friends. My garage has things I have been holding for people for years.

17. If you have the room. Get yourself a storage shed. Ya only have to buy that once.

18. I didnt clear something out.
    I had more stuff than rusty parts on storage.
    My coe,my 36 gmc most of my tools etc...
    I im just sick of dragging or saving parts for other projects but i also feel bad scrapping them.

19. wicarnut

wicarnut

Years ago, comedian George Carlin had a skit about "Stuff" It's hilarious IMO about our obsession/accumulations of too much stuff and the booming storage building industry. I rented 3 spaces when I downsized 8 years ago now, I had the retirement home/garage ready, took a year to get pole building built, wired, shelves, lift, ready for my stuff/junk/misc, things I thought I needed/wanted, was going to use, etc. Well........... starting to sell some "stuff" as some things haven't been touched/used in the 8 years, even my wife is getting with the program realizing our stuff accumulation problem, when we downsized from our home, my shop, 30 years in same property, we realized we have a slight case of "Hoarders" another story all have/will face. I'm thankful how fortunate we are in our country to have the opportunities to make the money to have these problems as most of world spends all of their money to just eat/survive. God Bless America ! Everyone have a Great Day and Be Safe !

20. my problem is the parts for future projects are in the way to work on present projects, i always have to move stuff around.
    if you really think about all these original parts that we have around. someone used them, then they were taken off and stored, then they were dragged to a swop meet and it gets priced $100 . well if that was a 1938 ford part. someone kept that part for 80 years somewhere. that is a $1.25 a year storage......Seth, your doing something wrong.......:D;)

Hnstray likes this.
  21. <- This entire car was pieced together over a 30 year period. Buying parts and squirreling them away has been one of my greatest joys in life. I can look over the car and recollect all my adventures and road trips.
    The journey is a big part of the the trip.

22. I buy parts I might need years in advance if the price is right. But I would never pay to have them stored. Doesn't make sense to me. If I can't find a place to store them then I will pass on the parts until I need them. The $500 in parts might cost more in the future, but probably not the $1500 you have invested in them now.

23. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

This is a topic most of us can relate to.
    My 2 car garage is stuffed with parts of all kinds.
    Almost every nook and cranny has something in it. Rafters, shelves, walls all full up with goodies.
    When I ran out of room, I built a shed. Still have room in it so. . . Off to the swap meet I go!

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe, The37Kid and chevy57dude like this.
  24. jazz1

jazz1

Finish the body before buying any parts since the majority of projects never see their rubber hit the road.

The37Kid and Hnstray like this.
  25. I dont spend money on body work...
    Now that i have a place to store stuff, i have to spend money to hide things i dont wana see( axles,steering columns,etc)

I was just wondering if u guys feel bad throwing away good parts cuz u dont wana store/drag them around

26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Do not scrap them, sell them to the people who still think they need them....like you did.
    And, they may ACTUALLY need them. You would be doing both them and yourself a favor.

Given all the concern in this and other threads about excess ‘stuff’ and the aging out of the people who are interested in the era we deal with, I am wondering who the hoarders are planning on selling their stuff to ‘when the time is right’.

It’s later than you think, the time is ‘right’ now......at least to thin the hoard a bit.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    RMR&C, tb33anda3rd and raven like this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

I agree, but I'm happy those people are out there. Car was stored for 15 years at around $125.00 a month. that totaled $22,500. plus whatever they paid for the vehicle. I bought it for $4,500. and will be making room for it. :)Bob

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I feel a lot better now, knowing I'm not paying rent on this. :cool: Bob

[​IMG]

29. When you start doing financial math against car projects, none of it makes any sense. You get things like 2+2 = 3 or 5, it's never going to be 4.

30tudor, pila38, RMR&C and 1 other person like this.