Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features LOOK OUT FOR THIS SCAMMER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woody jim, Sep 9, 2018.

1. woody jim

woody jim

HE WANTS TO BUY MY 47 FORD TOP STAINLESS AND WANTED TO SURPISE HIS WIFE WITH IT HANGING IN HIS HOME, HIS MOVER WILL BE COMIMG TO PICK IT UP WITH A CERTIFIED CHECK, HE ALSO WANTS ALL YOUR INFO. HIS EMAIL [email protected]--HIS TEXT IS 409-210-2611-- LOOK OUT FOR THIS GUY--AND THATS HOW COME I USE PAY PAL

Bikelessbill, jazz1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. You still have to beware of Paypal .... if connected to a credit card, instead of their bank account. Dispute on card initiates a charge back, and if you're like me .... that carelessly thought of my internet sales going into my PayPal account, as a hidden piggy bank .... a rat b#stard can dispute that card and suck the disputed amount out, with your parts in his hands.

Ask me how I know. :confused:

Luckily for me, relatives an hour away, provided a legal assist.

Wraith, Kan Kustom, F&J and 6 others like this.
  3. Often wonder how far a scammer can go with your banking information. Just yesterday i did a google-earth search with the adres a potential parts buyer gave me . It was right in the middle of a field about 15 Kilometers away from the town he mentioned. Thats not right. The two different names he gave me did,nt help much.

4. 54vicky

54vicky

there will be shit to pay when lorreta finds out he is using her email account.unless he is a she to-day you never fucing know

Deuces likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Simple....just tell him ‘mover’ must have CASH in hand......nothing else will do.

That should separate real from scammer.

Ray

6. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I had this same thing happen to a friend of mine.

7. saltracer219

saltracer219

Unless I am giving it away or know the person, I deal in cash only!

Deuces, Sky Six and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Anything over $500 I like a wire transfer. A little more leg work, but both parties are better protected. If you are dealing with someone shady, they will back out immediately.

zzford likes this.
  9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

10. vega1

vega1

It's has been some time ago I sold some parts a set of front runner wheels and tires the I shipped them after payment cleared PayPal then I'll be a son of a bitch my wife calls say there is 800 missing from my account as soon as he received them he Reversed the charges say he didn't get them phone number changed so I drove two 250 miles on new year's day found the sob got the wheels back and 100 for gas this was in my wild days amazing what a saw off 12 gauge can accomplish. Don't recommend it but I was young

Sent from my Pixel 2 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mrquickwhip, harpo1313, GuyW and 16 others like this.
  11. What most have said....and beware - my paypal account I use I just put money in....and take it out....not connected to any other of my accounts...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You know what.... if I was interested in a car and serious about it, I'd show up with CASH and one of those markers to indicate if the bills were fake or not. I know a guy, who has his own business. As a hobby, he buys several muscle cars a year. Some he keeps for a while, but most get flipped. He will ONLY accept cash. PERIOD. It isn't hard to do. One day I came to hang out and I watched a cherry '69 Z28 roll out of his shop. After the guy left, he showed me a brief case with 50K in it. I almost shit. It's still the most cash (by a private person) I've ever seen in my life.

Cash eliminates ALL the bullshit.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Large amounts of cash have their own risks...robbery being one......chance encounter with law enforcement leading to suspicion/accusation of being a ‘dealer’...etc. ....there are others.

Bank to bank wire transfer seems to me to be one of the better, more secure methods of sending or receiving significant sums and unlike PayPal, cannot be reclaimed, so far as I know. I do like cash for many more common transactions, depending on circumstances.

Ray

14. vega1

vega1

You are correct I personally know a guy that sold two custom Harley s in Daytona on way back was stopped by a Fed and questioned as to why he was caring such a large amount of cash they never searched the vehicle but new the cash was there there he had to go through scales so assuming truck was x-ray ed long story short money was held for five hours and money was held for almost two months by feds he was lucky he got it back 45 k in cash

15. vega1

vega1

16. I knew someone years ago in law enforcement, he was working on detached duty for the DEA on drug cases... real scurvy looking guy. Anyway, they did a deal where they had to show some cash first. DEA has to borrow the money from the Fed Bank in NYC. The money never leaves the briefcases. They count it back at the Fed... and come up with close to $10k in funny money that the DEA had to make good on.

17. LBCD

LBCD

Using PayPal can be tricky. It’s great for EBay and reputable online stores but when selling on Craigslist and the H.A.M.B. etc...the buyer (if a scammer) will send you an email from PayPal that looks legit saying $$$ was deposited into your account but it’s a scam, fake. I always call PayPal to double check the money is in the account before I ship anything.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. I have actually dealt with movers and shippers. I have never had a legit shipper show up with someone else's money. I have heard of car haulers doing that but it is going to be a reputable company with a legit address and he is going to have paperwork with him.

Here on the HAMB we sometimes pick things up for friends, but even if it is a HAMBer that we have never personally met it is going to be someone that we can see online. I picked up a whole cash of flathead parts for a guy once when we were on a trip in the truck. Met the guy at my motel and he said, "You got a check for me?" I said to the missus, "You want to write this guy a check?" She said, "Why don't you just give him the cash instead." and we all laughed.

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  19. It's been a couple of years, but the last bank transfer I did for $400 cost me $50 in fees.
    It was an international purchase so maybe that's why. (?)

20. zzford

zzford

A wire transfer is good as cash and a lot safer. The instant the button is pushed for the transfer, the buyer cannot get the money back. It is now in your account.

21. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

My bank charged me $35 for a bank to bank transfer for $16k last spring . The only way I do business over $500. I do not ever use paypal ,they are bigger crooks than the scammers.

22. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

To expound on this a bit, Paypal will ALWAYS address you by your name in all correspondence. You will never get a real notice with "Dear Customer" or "Dear Client," etc. Another giveaway is to look first at the address appearing in the search engine box. Paypal will always have the 'https' prefix (the s on the end is a secure website extension) whereas the scammer sites will not.

I have to have it for my shop. It's too convenient for customers.

lurker mick likes this.
  23. Brewsterbuff

Brewsterbuff
    from York, PA

BEWARE! He is still trying. Just tried to get me on some hub caps.

24. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to add, simply going to your Paypal account when a "payment" Email arrives will verify if the payment is legit.

Hnstray and CudaChick1968 like this.
  25. I deal with these lowlife dicks all the time. I always say cash in hand local pickup I'm not shipping anything. You can tell who the lowlife is because they never ask about the thing you are selling. Just set up payment and pickup and they will never be there in person.

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

There are no more Cashiers Checks. They are now called Bank Checks on which payment can be stopped. Your first clue of a scam should be when some one says they will pay with a Cerified check.

Gary

27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Sorry Gman0046, but Banks & Credit Unions, at least in the Western States(CA,NV,AZ,OR,WA,etc) still issue Cashiers Checks.

28. Gman0046

Gman0046

I only passed on what the manager of a Chase Bank in Kentucky relayed to me. They no longer issue cashiers checks only Certified Bank Checks. Are you sure those "Cashier Checks" can't have its payment stopped?

Gary

29. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

You guys seem to need something like the "Swish" service/smartphone app we have here. You connect your cellphone number with your bank account in your online bank, and you get the app for your smartphone. You enter the phone number to anyone else who uses it, you see their name and can instantly transfer money to their account. They can see the money and who sent them (number & name) in the app, and the transfer can not be reversed (not under normal circumstances anyway.
    I don't use a smartphone but I have linked my cell number to my bank so I can recieve swish payments, I just can't send money to others or see the transfers w/o going to my online bank by computer or checking my account on an ATM.

30. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

@G-son what happens if you lose your phone???