Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Dodge 3W coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bostonhemi, Dec 4, 2012.

1. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I continued on the front floor with measuring and cutting and measuring and cutting. Coming next will be the transmission tunnel so I'm going to think about how to mount it because the front of it will be at an angle.
    It looks like I may be able to make the front floor pan removable with bolts after its welded together.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd and 31Dodger like this.
  2. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have most of the trimming and cutting done on the floor pan.

Attached Files:

3. Looking clean.

4. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I removed the radiator from the grill shell this morning and will be dropping it off to a shop to check for leaks this week.

Attached Files:

5. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cut out the floor under the passenger side as it would interfere with the yolk/u-joint. Maybe I will make a battery box in the future. I also started to modify the area around the cross support of the frame and I may also extend the transmission tunnel under the seat above the u-joint.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd and TFoch like this.
  6. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cut an opening through the cross brace for the transmission and will have to weld back the center portion that the shop cut out, tack welded the front floor pan together and
    also checked the traction bars for fit and it looks like they will. (Now just waiting on welder Steve for the bigger welds.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I continued working on the floor and transmission tunnel. For the front I bolted the 2 top existing bolt holes and for the rest I drilled small holes from the firewall in then I pulled the floor out and made larger holes. Under the seat area I marked up the area for the end of the transmission tunnel, cut out the a section and used my workbench and some tools as like a brake to bend the back of the section I cut for the end of the tunnel.

Attached Files:

chop job and TFoch like this.
  8. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Off to the welder.

Attached Files:

exterminator and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was a long long winter had some medical issue but finally its spring again (crossing my fingers). I found a friend to help me along get some parts ready to paint maybe next week we can do the frame n firewall then hopefully we can get that hemi back to the dyno then drop it in.

Attached Files:

10. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put in a few hrs today. It finally feels like spring.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd and TFoch like this.
  11. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another nice day today.

Attached Files:

12. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just about finished the right side of the firewall and started on the left side. Right side meaning from the drivers position :).

Attached Files:

31Dodger likes this.
  13. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost done with the firewall. I sprayed a coat of light grey primer to sand n check anything I missed.

Attached Files:

14. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The humidity finally broke so I painted the firewall and front frame with chassis paint from rattle cans. Its so much different than the devillbis gun I used to use back in the 80's. At least its clean enough now to start putting it back together and drop in the engine. Hopefully this time on the Dyno it will be better.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  15. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

Finally not another model A! Keep the dodge stuff coming. We're out here watching . Looking good man...looking good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your doing a great job with the ole-Coupe !

17. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Nice to see another Massachusetts project. Keep up the good work.

18. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just trying to get this back together and running before winter. I might be changing the front suspension eventually.

Attached Files:

19. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Great work, it's amazing how much more work you find, how many more things that go wrong you don't plan for. Looks like everything is working out great, your fab work looks awesome. Now if mine would just start moving forward.

20. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. I'm going to put the engine on the dyno next month and hope to get 375hp out of the 331 but dyno guy estimated the hp340. We will see. The block is a 56 331 industrial 9to1 pistons 60 over, cam 278 with 465 lift, 51 heads with 2'' valves, 600cfm carb.

21. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got the grill assembly together. I am waiting for my turn on the dyno; maybe by the end of the month.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  22. AHotRod

AHotRod

The grill looks great, wish you the best at the Dyno, they are very humbling :confused:

23. YES! I must echo that the grille looks GREAT! I can't wait to install mine.... post-37352-143141780492.jpg

wood remover and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Modded 105E

Modded 105E

Well said. Excellent car too.

25. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Nice work
    We may get ours going around the same time! I haven't posted anything new in years on my 30 dodge 3w

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Ever get it on the dyno again? I'm interested in seeing the results!

27. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just checked the shop and he's been too busy this month. I hope he gets to do it before the snow comes.

tartar_sammich and AHotRod like this.
  28. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally some Dyno results for the 331 Hemi. I cant figure out how to make the video smaller so I can post too. I'm just gonna post what I can until I can figure the rest.

First of all I'm really happy everything works the way its suppose to. I'm a bit disappointed in the HP just as another Hamber had mentioned. Then again its a street motor and 100 more HP than stock. We will see how it goes once I can get the coupe drivable. 282 HP

Attached Files:

29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sorry your not amped about the horsepower but silver lining is it has the cool factor of being a hemi. I had a 40 Plymouth business coupe with a stock 291 DeSoto hemi other than dual exhaust. Still got from A to B but being warmed over was a later plan. Drive and enjoy.