Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'm in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiwheelstand, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

California's population is still growing. Rate of growth has slowed, but more people move in than out.

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, but where are they coming from to CA?:confused::eek::(:mad:

Blues4U and klleetrucking like this.
  3. this is a helpful tool.
    type in the salary you have now and the place you have live.
    then type in the place you are thinking of moving to and it will tell you what salary you need to make in the new place to have the same lifestyle you had before the move
    good luck with the adventure
    Chappy
    https://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_start.aspx

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

See below

This is the question. The answer lies in the report linked here: https://lao.ca.gov/laoecontax/article/detail/265

CA's population growth is solely due to immigration from outside the country. This has been true for some time now.

deucemac likes this.
  5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Uh oh... im sensing the cloak of invisibilityo_O

6. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

I LIVE RIGHT DOWN THE STREET FROM HOT ROD'S AND CUSTOM STUFF, They helicoiled my Dodge Ram hood ornament.

they do great work, however there prices are RIDICULOUS. I fully support them for the work they do, however they prove why I do the work myself. they wanted $4k to rewire my car and make 12v, they wanted $4k to re do the door jams on my buddies 52 chevy.

but for your housing issues, check in Temecula, its about 30 min north of Escondido, cheaper living, traffic down will suck but its cheaper.

or check San Marcos, CA apartments next to Costco/Walmart on 78 & Nordahal, I lived in there little apartments for a while, cost me $1400 a month for 600sq 1bed with nice patio, but welcome to San Diego, nothing is cheap.

7. Well let me tell it to you this way, I was working with a man at the news paper before I became disabled. He was an electrician and living a good middle class blue collar life here. 3 kids and a wife, a 3 bedroom Ranch in a quiet neighborhood. Steak on Friday.

He took a job in NorCal that paid 20K a year more then he was making here. Now being from good old Calif I had some insight that he did not and warned him not to jump but he did. Last time we spoke he was living in low income housing with his wife and 3 daughters and only had steak like never.

Don't get me wrong I would give a testicle to move home but I am not so dumb as to think that it is a possibility.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yes, the folks you and I are referring to won't show up in these statistics as to where they are coming from, I don't think.

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

And most of those births are to parents or ancestors from outside of the country.

Blues4U likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

11. 34Larry

34Larry

You have a lot of advise and opinions to help in your decision. I'd say do what you want to do at your age and enjoy life at what you decide. I'm close to 80 and wish like hell I'd done the things I considered instead of laying back and vegging out and being comfortable instead of taking a risk. Being single at your age, with only yourself to lookout for is a huge advantage. Best advise is, be happy, stay away from all mind altering substances, live like tomorrow is your last day here and love what you do. Best of luck my hammer friend.

Special Ed likes this.
  12. I think that we are on the edge of becoming political here aren't we.

Well yea, I red thut everwon in Caiforny is one of dem illegals. mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

There was a time when population growth in California was from transplants from other states in the union, not so much today. I think if we could find actual numbers we would find that the migration is in the opposite direction. I live in the Midwest today, but California will always be home to me. If you are set or can find a way to be set it is a damned good place to live.

13. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Diverse immigration is yet another thing that makes California a great place to live. I would definitely make the move.

clunker and Special Ed like this.
  14. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

I think if you go work at Hot Rods and Custom Stuff with Rich and Paul there, you will do good, they are very into the community and I would hope they pay well.

BEFORE THIS GETS DELETED for california population talk.

think of this, San Diego, CA is very crouded, it is worth the extra $200-$300 a month rent to live closer to home rather than drive and waste it in gas. I currently spend $400 a month in gas to drive to and from work. just keep that in mind.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The OP hasn't responded or updated :confused:

16. AZbent

AZbent

Congratulations on your new job. I hope it all works out to good for you. The only advice i can give you, learn new skills, improve existing skills, and network to make the skills you have and will learn work for you.
    Before i moved to AZ, i ws driving trucks. My last week at trucking place, i got stuck at least once a day. As many of you know, puts chains on duallies in the snow sucks. I thought i would never miss the winters, hard to shovel sunshine etc. But, as i grow older, i've come to the conclusion that 4 seasons are good. You experiences will be different, but your heart may want to return to PA sometime. Don't burn your bridges.

17. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hi, I get it, I really do.I am not married nor a girlfriend and have no kids.I don't really even eat steak that much.You really have to understand my life up till now,and the drastic changes that I have made that I'm sure would scare the hell out a lot of people.
    The realization of what my life will be like if I stay here is far scarier to me than moving 2,700 miles to a not complete unknown.Here I don't have a chance to do what I am really good at for a living. I have basically zero social life, no where to really go that is acceptable to me,don't drink ,can't stand smoking, no hunting,fishing,ect.......... can't stand the cold,you know what a nor-easter is? I need something this drastic to jump start my life.If you saw or talked to me a year and half ago you wouldn't even know that I was the same person writing this now.Me moving to yes,CA is way more than just taking a job is goes way,way,way,way,way, way, deeper than that for many reasons we don't have time or space or a couch for.
    I have looked north of Escondido like many have suggested,but I want to stay as far away and not deal at all with daily traffic on 78 or 15.I can stay here and drive a hour or more to work and think about suicide when it snows. Closer to work+ a higher rent= happier me.
    Chris

Baumi, Max Gearhead, clunker and 3 others like this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's fine, but there is a negative financial aspect, incomes for immigrants are lower than for natives, that results in less tax revenue for the state, as native born residents move out to be replaced by immigrants. Something I posted before that was deleted by the mods, as the middle class moves out our population becomes ever more stratified, with a growing wealthy population mostly living along the coastal area and a growing poor immigrant population living mostly inland, and a shrinking middle class. With huge unfunded liabilities waiting ahead and not enough money to pay for them. The changing demographics has some cause for concern. Where is the money going to come from. Right now the state is >140Billion in debt. If you split the debt up among every person here, we each owe about $10k for our share of it. Are you ready to pay your share? The direction it is going that amount is only going up. And that doesn't include the $1Trillion in unfunded liabilities. A person considering making a move to this state needs to know what he's getting himself into.

porknbeaner likes this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

20. Well if you are suicidal living in the Basin is perfect. :rolleyes:

I once dove off a bridge in Oregon that they told me is 60 feet to the water. I never measured it. It just looked like fun and it was. Someone said, "well what if you hit a rock?" Well I didn't obviously. Older more sage me might look to see if there is a rock before I dive off.

21. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Sure I'm up to pay my share. I would pay more shares as "those with broader shoulders should carry more weight". You are describing a problem that is not limited to California or even just the states.

Baumi, redo32 and Special Ed like this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The problem in this state is the worst by far, no other state comes close; and it will eventually affect everyone who lives here, it's just a matter of time and how long we can kick the can down the road.

23. Careful fellas, if you get too political the thread will become locked or even worse.

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sorry, I'll back off. I just want the OP to be aware of what he's getting in to. Making the move with full knowledge of the situation. If he accepts the challenges and moves in anyway, God bless him, we need all the taxpayers we can get. Alright, I'll shut up now.

porknbeaner likes this.
  25. Looks like the lower end of the scale is in the 2K range. If you go by suggested standards and spend 1/3 to cover rent and utilities that puts you into the 6K per month salary.

Sometimes its hard to be honest and stay off the stump, isn't it. I think we need to base all of our life decisions on good information and when they are financial it is damned hard to separate politics isn't it. ;)

dan31, Irish Mike and redo32 like this.
  26. Damn Beaner I just dove about 30' & split my head open with two deep rows of stitches. Did a bit of recovery in the hospital on that one. Must not of hit anything vital as Uncle Sam said I was fit & here I am 85 yrs old & still kicking & screaming. Cut back a bunch on the drinkin tho. Never did like smokin. I don't think I hurt or moved the rock either so no environmental damage.

Irish Mike likes this.
  27. LOL back when we were kids they wouldn't have cared if we busted the rock.

That was a good day actually. It was a bridge on the coast had a turnout on both ends with a trail leading down to the water. A bunch of us were heading north in my old heap and when we came to the bridge I pulled off and said, "I jumping off who's with me?" well no one was, so I ran out the middle of the bridge and just dove off. What I didn't know was that my uncle was behind us (he was not actually following us it just worked out that way). I came up and heard, "Ohhhhhh Ohhhhh," and looked up and saw a shadow and turned over and went back down. I came back up just as my uncle came back up and he said to me, "You nut, are you alright?" I said, "Well of course I am you?" he just said, "Well that was a loooong way down." we laughed and he told me not to do that again.

chriseakin likes this.
  28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hemiwheelstander, Good luck with your move, hope everything goes well. Keep us informed as to what’s going on in your new endeavor. Glad you made the leap. Wish the best for you.

Bones

Irish Mike likes this.
  29. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I'll make it quick:
    1) Make the move to California and enjoy the adventure.
    2) Keep and rent out your house in PA.
    3) Find a place close to work. The amount of money you save in cheap (relatively) rent will be spent on gas + time in traffic.

30. Special Ed

Special Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.