Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'm in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiwheelstand, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

I looked at the whole country.............well only the warm places. The Carolinas were the first place I started to think about, but they can get hurricanes and ice storms and be cool to cold in the winter,none of which are appealing to me.And I know that is a broad generalization, not all of that area is like that,but I just had the mind set that getting as far away from east coast weather of any sort was the right choice for me. I just had a really good talk with my brother who is the most sensible and practical person I know and really helped me come to the conclusion that if it all feels right in the small time frame that I have been here.That the life that I want just is not possible back home,with no chance of truly being happy,then the only choice I have is the one that I made happen in front of me.
    I really do very much like I here. And know I can make it work with some compromise,planning and work.So I will fly home on Tuesday and then begin to plan a move,take the job,looking at everything as open door with chance for something better.
    No I did't find a place yet but now I know what I am looking for and sort of what to expect. So that when I do show up all Clampet style I can quickly get the right place to live,I have time to think about and plan this out.

jnaki, clunker and Special Ed like this.
  2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Good luck man , wish you the best... always remember your value, don’t compromise, keep your guard up and watch your 6

3. I’ll respond because it might have something to do with the original theme of the thread, and provide some inspiration to someone or something.

I went to art school in Boston. I moved to California and couch surfed. I worked in the animation industry for really low wages for like a year or so. I got laid off. I did stupid minimum wage jobs for awhile and handy man work. A friend of a friend got me a job painting and building sets on a low budget horror movie for a couple weeks. We were expected to work 16-18 hours a day for $100. They liked me because I could fabricate anything. This lead to more and more movies, tv commercials and hundreds of music videos. I joined the union. I was making good money. I bought a house in Echoe Park (LA). I decided to move back to the east coast. Because of my experience I was able to get into the very tight- knit movie industry in Boston. I have my own shop building sets and props. When I work, (sporadic), I make $1000 for 10+ ($1000 for a ten hour day with overtime after 10 hrs). I love my job. A few months ago we fabricated an exact replica of a lighthouse for Giselle Bunchen to dance around in. I don’t like sports but I’ve met and worked with all of the local sports celeb dudes. Next week I will be on Martha’s Vinyard for a car commercial.

I could have just stayed in my home town in NH and kept working at the brush factory that my parents also worked at, who knows, maybe I could have been a foreman by now, 30 years later, maybe not because they thought I was stupid and dressed funny.

This is a typical story for a transplant to LA. Experiences and relationships knock you around and guide you on interesting paths. No reason in the world that Wheelstander, or anyone else shouldn’t be able to go there and have similar experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    lewk, Baumi, chevy57dude and 2 others like this.
  4. You have 49 other options and the exit gate swings out.

hidez57, 51504bat and Special Ed like this.
  5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

In other words , you are not currently trying to live in so-cal pay rent/ mortgage in 2018 on a hot rod shop in Escondido wage...

First time I lived in CA was 2001 , a lot of shit has changed I moved back in 2010 lot of shit changed in the last 4 yrs

Couch surfing at 20 in the 90s is a lot different than couch surfing at 40 in 2019 dig?

clunker, mountainman2 and Irish Mike like this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

no shit.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did it, in Nor Cal, where it is even more expensive than So Cal, for 10-straight-years, until medical and legal expenses shut me down.

As for wages being stagnant, mine have tripled, in the last 18-years.

nochop and olscrounger like this.
  8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

“ legal and medical expenses shut you down” .... how do you call that making it happen?

I lived in nor cal.. the pay and job market is better there ... I have friends in SF , a buddy works for the city of San Bruno 45 an hr, good Bennies ....BUT his 3 bed house from the 70s is now valued at 1.2 m I don’t see that as sustainable

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The legal an medical expenses had nothing whatsoever to do with running the shop. I deranged person tried to murder me in Nevada. As it turns out the Nevada State Victim's Compensation Fund does not pay out unless there is a conviction, and they won't put an insane person on trial. I did my best to get a prosecution, and it cost me a ton. Hospitals do not negotiate prices with people that they believe have the means to pay.

If you know a way of raising ~$300k in a hurry, let me know. I have another business venture on-deck.

Now, you can get affordable health insurance via the state exchange. If that were the case back then, I would not have lost my shop.

kidcampbell71 and olscrounger like this.
  10. cretin

cretin

I'm 35, single, and working at a hot rod shop in Southern California for a living. I'm currently in escrow for a house. I had to increase my commute to do so, but the house and the job are worth it. It's not impossible.

11. I've been here for 21 years and have enjoyed living here. It has changed considerably, or I am just getting less tolerant in my old age, but it has been an experience that I will never forget. Moved here from Illinois in 1997. I was single and sold my house there. Lived pretty cheaply with my best friend who had moved out here a few years earlier.

I may not stay here when I retire, but I will always remember all the good times I had here and all the good people that I have met. My world definitely got bigger and I learned to really embrace the different cultures here in So Cal. It is truly a melting pot and everyone is pretty laid back and accepting. The weather is unbeatable and it is truly a beautiful state. Where else can you snow ski and surf in the same day?

Every state/area has its pros and cons, just try to focus on the positives and don't let the negatives get you down.

Have fun and if you work hard and make good decisions you will be fine and most likely won't regret it.

Good luck and get ready for a very unique experience living here in So Cal.

Life is good!!

Brian B

Irish Mike, jnaki and Nitroholic like this.
  12. Good points. Ya, I dig.

(Still think he should do it tho’)

13. Unless it's gasoline tax......:cool:

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The politicians called it a fee allowing them to bypass the 2/3 tax vote just like they did with the lumber "fee" that we get to pay every time we buy a 2x4 at Lowes.

Irish Mike likes this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, how soon do you leave?

lewk and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  16. Politics........ =BS. Back to the OP- Let him try! If he can make it= good for him, and I hope it works out. If I moved eastern from the west, I'm sure i'de have something to bitch about......
    For those who have done it, and reverted= So be it. maybe a situation, or other.....
    Yes- I will admit that the state is screwy, and not like others.
    But.....Other states have their own pitfall's also........
    Let it lie what Hemiwheelstand want's , and is doing. Some of you guy's kill me with your bullshit.....
    let the man live and prosper without your opinions......
    The only way a man learns (YOU) is by trial and error...... If it didn't work for you, who are you to say it wont work for him?............. Think before you type, and "wearing the shoe's" comes to mind.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

All I am hearing is:

I can't do it, so you shouldn't try.
    I wouldn't do it, so you shouldn't try.
    I don't like some of the things I heard about California, so you shouldn't try.
    I tried and failed, so you shouldn't try.
    And so on....

I am prospering here, and I have been through 100x the adversity that many here have, or will ever live through.

There is no reason that the OP cannot be happy, healthy, AND prosperous here. As I have said before, there are few limits here. You can, and will, rise as far as you are willing to work for your goals.

18. HELL YA

WORD!

Boneyard51 and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope it works out for you. Have lived in California my whole life but worked all over the US. Yes it is costly to live here and politics are a bit strange but I have no desire to go anywhere else--seen most of US working and didn't find a place I wanted to relocate to-nor does my wife. I worked in the utility industry (linework) for 44 years and did quite well as do my son,two son-in-laws a nephew and a grandson--all doing very well. Yes housing is pricey but wages are very good as well-no complaints and at 75 I have no desire to leave--good luck in your new endeavor. Don't let the naysayers distract you.

20. Lil32

Lil32

good luck with your decision
    I travelled all over my State for work and retired after 30 years work, I was 47, now 69y/o
    My wife and I travel to USA each year to visit LA Roadster Show and have seen 13 States
    We have always enjoyed the country and its people

partssaloon and Irish Mike like this.
  21. Hemiwheelstand -
    Hopefully, you're convinced by now.
    California dreamin'.
    I'd probably let Michelle actually ride in the car with me.
    [​IMG]

22. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello again,I am back in PA,jet lag not as bad this time.I have a lot to think about.I would like to thank all of those who responded,except for a few that where not at all constructive,you know who are. Anyway I'm taking the job and going to be moving there soon,less the world comes to an end.Still looking at places to live,but now I know what and where I am looking at,sort of.
    No,it all won't be rose colored,I get that.But I have no future where I am now and don't want one here.I only see mostly positives for me and my future moving to California,to be continued ..............................

23. exterminator

exterminator

Glass half empty-Glass half full.....it's how you look at it.:)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Boneyard51 and Special Ed like this.
  24. Hell ..... a resume' is always where you've been, to showcase where you want to go. A 2 year foray into employee #101's adventures, at a popular, and established, hot rod shop, will not only be fun, and skill fruitful ..... but it will look great for your following hire as well. Good luck to you, sir.

Max Gearhead and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Wish you good luck in this. You're still a young man, and if you had no future where you are, then yes it's time to move on to what you perceive to be something better.
    Been following the thread from the beginning of thread, and have refrained from offering any advice because I'm lacking only 2 months being 81, and my views of where I want to live are no doubt far different than a young man's. But I'm a definite believer in exiting from a deadend job and living in places you don't like, and have made decisions along those lines myself in years gone by.
    More power to you!:)

26. Look to live in Fallbrook, it's a great little farm town not too far from Escondido…..

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can check out anytime you want...
    If I had to do all over again I'd grab me a slice of San Diego.
    Torrey Pines Golf Club. Shangri frickin la!:cool:
    Old town eats:)
    Mission beach girls;)
    The Chargers...no wait o_O

lumpy 63 and Special Ed like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The glass is twice the size it needs to be for its intended purpose.

cretin likes this.
  29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

My post from last night got deleted, said it was "Off Topic". All I did was lay out the facts.

To the OP, you should know that all is not wine and roses here in sunny So Cal. There are some serious issues brewing in this state that will affect everyone who lives here. It's a shame a mod deleted my post as I got specific about those issues. Do your due diligence. More US citizens leave the state each year than move here, there are reasons for that (that the mods here won't allow me to post for some reason). If more people move out than move in, why would that be? Think about it. I don't post this to be controversial or argumentative, I'm trying to be helpful. Before someone pulls up stakes and moves across the country to live here, you should be aware of what you're getting yourself into. The state offers a lot of great, positive attributes, no doubt about it. But there are some huge negatives as well. And those negatives grow larger every year. And they are sufficient that more people make the decision to leave than to come. Think about it.

Saxman, dirty old man and Irish Mike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.