Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A juice brakes conversion.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Departed, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Hi everyone,
    I've recently purchased a set of 1948 passenger car brakes (all around) and my drums are behind the hub and the studs go through the drums, through the hub (or flange..whatever you wanna call it) and that's what holds everything together. That's all fine, but I'm gonna need new drums. The ones on there are worn out.
    So here is my question,
    Can I get new drums replacement that will fit behind the hub? And if not, do I have to buy new drums and hubs to upgrade for a drum in front of the hub set up?
    Thanks. IMG_4949.jpg

Attached Files:

2. bct

bct

3. bct

bct

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Those happen to be the hubs you need for adapting finned aluminum Buick drums

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Thanks BCT. But I'm still not sure if I can buy drums and install them behind the hub. If I put them in front of the hub, they will be too far out and won't meet the backing plate. Unless the new drums are offset deeper. Then I'd be able to put them in front of the hub. I'm not too worried about the studs, I can manage to find studs that will fit, or worse case, drill new holes in between the ones that are there already.
    What I'd like to know is, if I do get new drums, will I be able to use them on these hubs?

6. Departed...
    There are a number of vendors that sell the new US made drums, they are designed to work with either style of hub and use a non swedged wheel lug. Depending on the vendor, they run between $125.00 to $150.00 each, I have Sacramento Vintage Ford drums but I know there are other places. Just don't buy Speedway stuff, they have told me that their drums are made "oversea's"! F.Y.I., 1940 - '42 and 1946 - '48 brake shoe's, backing plates and hubs cannot be interchanged.

Departed likes this.
  7. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Thanks I was looking on Mac's and seems like they sell the drum with the hub behind only ?

8. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

9. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

There they are!!

1stGrumpy likes this.
  10. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

I have a problem.
    Here's the thing. The rear drums are mounted behind the hub. When I put the backing plate on the model A rear end. And then put the hub/drum assembly on the axle. The drum bottoms out to the backing plate and the axle is not all the way in the hub.
    Does anyone know if the rear hubs with the drums mounted behind are the same as the hubs with the drums mounted over?
    If so, would the hub fit on the model A axle with a drum mounted over the hub ?
    Seems like the model A axle is not long enough