Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A Hot Rod Takes Pikes Peak..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

A Hot Rod Takes Pikes Peak..

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Elmo Rodge, bonesy, gnichols and 12 others like this.
  2. That's AWSOME for sure.Thanks for posting this.

Texas Drifter and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Holy sh#t !! I follow Ray on IG .... but had no clue, HE was going to be the driver on the Peak ! That's an amazing feat. Just goes to show how deep the talent is in NASCAR .... for just a wrench turning, clipboard holding, ole' Crew Chief .... setting records miles high, as always.

Texas Drifter likes this.
  4. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Wow ----Thats one Hell of a ride!!! Aaron Kaufman, from GAS MONKEY GARAGE did the same run in a much modified Falcon and you really got to realize how BIG of a risk of going air bourn over the edge of the road there is.
    This MUCH modified 36 Chevy shows you how FAST and damn busy you are in that car. I lost count , after 50, how many 3rd/4th shifts he made but only TOUCHED the brake 2/3 times. Yea it is a built NASCAR with a 36 Chevy body and Yea a hell of a lot of race car knowledge went into the car. But you can't build the CAJONES to run like that. Very impressive.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I thought it was like, what 5 minutes of racing,,, but almost 15 minutes of balls-out shifting and turning in all directions,,,, amazing!

seb fontana and Texas Drifter like this.
  6. My shop got to contribute a tiny bit to this cars build and its awesome to see it go up the peak!

7. What exactly makes this ride a "hot rod", especially in a sense we at this site are expected to consider them to be ?
    Isn't this just another purpose built modern technology race car with a body having some resemblance to that of a '36 Chevy ?
    Could've as easily used panels off a '96 Bentley, '07 KIA or '18 NAShCAR Silhouette body painted to look like a Chevy or Toyota ...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  8. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Great video, to go that fast in a "new" car, wow!

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Ray Evernham gets it.
    I've never met him, but following him on Instagram has shown a small window into his life and I can't help but like the guy. He's definitely a hot rodder, having a few of his own, along with a collection of vintage Nascar racers and others.
    Living a good life!

10. noboD

noboD

Anyone that has driven up Pikes Peak in a street car can respect the ability of these drivers. Thanks for the video.

joel and Texas Drifter like this.
  11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Hmmm.... Hotrod...Hillclimb....Hotrod....Hillclimb....

[​IMG]

bonesy, Tim, saltflats and 4 others like this.
  12. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Dang, that looks like so much fun!

He makes it look so smooth and easy. Ray has some serious skills to be able to pilot that thing so well.

Texas Drifter likes this.
  13. the car is awesome and built by extremely talented folks
    will show this to students tomorrow
    but not a HAMB car by any stretch possible

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  14. Ray is a nice guy and very passionate about cars with history. HRP

15. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

Wow!!!! Having run to the top many years ago when I was young and dumb, (Flat tracked a Harley) I certainly can appreciate Ray Evernham and his dream. I damn sure wouldn't do it again! Just taking all his ideas and making them happen is awesome. The "36 looks like a "Legend" car on steroids! Love it! Then to those who question the validity of it being a hot rod, yes it is, in more ways than one can imagine. It doesn't meet any of the rules so to speak of any sanctioning body like NASCAR, SCCA, IROC or GT but rather a conglomeration of them all to satisfy the rules of the particular class he was entered in. So much for the foreign entrants! The ideas evolved and the execution was outstanding! Reminds me of Ray Brock and Ak Miller running the Baja 1000 as well as the Mexican Open 2000 mile class in the 1950's and 1960's!

Malcolm and Montana1 like this.
  16. 67Coug

67Coug

I agree 100%! This new school race car is in no way a '36 Chevy! Is any of the sheet metal even from a '36 Chevy? More than likely most, if not all, of the sheet metal panels came from an English Wheel! And obviously, the chassis and suspension were never even near a '36 Chevy.

tractorguy and low down A like this.
  17. I'm impressed.............and really does it matter that much whether it has even a bolt from a 36 Chev.........it is one hell of a car and a great effort...........sometimes I think.......nah on second thoughts maybe I better not think...........why not just enjoy it for what it is, someone having a great time in a car that they and others built, just like a hotrod.....................andyd.

18. tjm73

tjm73

Every once and a while something is so drastically cool it is allowed to slip through the HAMB filter of what's traditional and/or acceptable. This car is one of those times. If you don't like it, don't post about it. If Ryan had an issue with it and didn't want it to take up any space on the HAMB it would be gone.

B Bay Barn and Hollywood-East like this.
  19. This is the hamb
    Stuff posted here is up for any and all opinions and critiques
    Some threads are based purely on complaints and dislikes.
    I guess folks can love of hate this one as well

20. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Awesome car,hand built all Aluminum body,no CAD was used, just 40 years of Tribal knowledge building cars, all inspired when he was a kid seeing modified racers as a kid in New Jersey, it is a cool story and car some might complain it is a modern not a jalopy

21. While I have nothing against the builder, the car or their racing accomplishments, I do find posting about it here somewhat odd and off-putting, especially when the car and it's build has as much to do with a "traditional" hot rods as this one does being a classic/vintage Corvette, but I guess under the right* circumstances they can both be considered HAMB appropriate.
    aat-53ce.jpg
    Photo copyright: aat

*Anyone other than a "staff member" posting or starting a thread on either would've likely got deleted promptly, right ?
    Well, at least we're offered yet another new direction on a moral compass of this site.

tractorguy and anthony myrick like this.
  22. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

while I don't see how this is really hamb friendly, it's a fast car. pikes peak was cooler IMO before they paved it all.

only other thing I have to add about ray is I used to race against his wife and her brothers back in the 90's lol

23. Can we move on?

Did that video raise your heart rate??? It took me ten minutes to get calmed back down. What an exciting ride!!!

Phil

B Bay Barn, Tim and Montana1 like this.
  24. I didn't bother to watch it.
    Saw enough by clicking on the "Blog"(?) link due to misleading thread title and realized video apparently features same modern race car shown in the picture of the first post.
    If I wanted to see "modern racing cars in action" videos, I'd find and join some forums dedicated to them.

BAD ROD likes this.
  25. Too bad. Riding in the passenger seat was really exciting!

Phil

26. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

The way I see it is it is not posted on the HAMB Forum. It is posted on the Jalopy Journal as a Editorial. The build is not on this site at all. If it was I'm sure Ryan would delete it. Ray is a Hot Rodder plain and simple. He has saved many Historical cars. I feel its about time somebody stepped up with American ingenuity and kicked these foreign car makers ass.

27. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Neat story, stopped bothering with the internet police long ago:)

28. actually I thought this was a test to see if anyone would report a mod

BAD ROD and TTR like this.
  29. :confused: ? Where exactly is this thread if not on HAMB ? :confused: