Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Roads for spirited driving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cheap-n-dirty, Sep 2, 2018.

1. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

I just when to the New Meadows Loggers car show and the drive up US 95 from Fruitland is the best part, especially from Council, Id to New Meadows. What other drive in your area are good for "spirited" driving?

David Gersic, Blues4U, Oilguy and 4 others like this.
  2. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

here is another road in eastern Oregon. baker city to union.

David Gersic, Jet96, Oilguy and 2 others like this.
  3. pragmatist

pragmatist

You need to watch these videos at twice the speed while listening to this!

4. Nothing to add except nice country,thanks.

5. Hwy 8 from St. James to Potosi, MO :eek:

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Ohio 78 from Glouster to Malta.

7. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Tail of the Dragon. Deals Gap, North Carolina. 318 curves in 11 miles. Google tail of the dragon

Texaswino, Just Gary and wraymen like this.
  8. WOW! Not for the faint hearted.

Ben

9. lake_harley

lake_harley

Rode that one time on our old '83 Gold Wing, loaded and two-up. I was happy to see it end!

As far as fun roads, I'll take Missouri Hwy 32 from just north of Ironton, MO heading West to Salem, MO. 60-70 MPH sweepers, good pavement and not a lot of traffic.

Lynn

Montana1 likes this.
  10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ridden it a few times on motorcycles. It is fun, but does wear you out.

Just Gary likes this.
  11. Any non four lane road in WV!:cool:

62rebel, wraymen and sidevalve8ba like this.
  12. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

From Eureka Springs, Arkansas south on route 23, The Pig Trail, is a great road. Also route 7 in Arkansas through Jasper and the area roads in the Buffalo River Valley.

John

hillbilly and charleyw like this.
  13. A lot of them around here in SoCal, including half a dozen or more within 30-60 minute reach from my location.
    On average, I/we spend 2-3 Sundays a month with my avatar ride on any/many of them year round (and yes, I carry chains too, just in case).

Missed a chance to experience "Beartooth Highway" last year on our Grand Tour of Tetons and Yellowstone due to time constraints, but will make an effort to go back and do it too.

Missus informed me last night of potential Christmas travel to Santa Fe, NM.
    Going to be tough to plan routing without "conveyor belts".

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Blues4U likes this.
  14. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Nice country Baker City is... I have been there. Now if that road were in Kalifornia it would look like the surface of the moon and ride like it too!
    Great Video!

15. Rt. 16 from Marion Virginia to Tazewell. Back of the Dragon. Amazing road with more switchbacks than you can count!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  16. Special Ed

Special Ed

Hwy 74 down into Palm Desert can be a pretty "spirited" ride ... ;)
    358e16cda59723fe3970912be89cbb92.jpg

17. Been over that one in a Semi. Fun.

Ben

Chili Phil likes this.
  18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The western end of SR 74 - The Ortega Highway - from Lake Elsinore to the coast is "spirited" as well.

pprather likes this.
  19. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of Maryland's finest 2 lane roads in northern Baltimore County in my coupe

Ron Funkhouser and Just Gary like this.
  20. Well, Peachy Canyon, in Paso Robles has smooth as glass, fresh paving. Took it to Vineyard and back through the town of Roblar, Pop 44, yesterday. Very nice ride in an open car. Through a canopy of oaks and, then vineyards. But, spirited driving? There are more than a few people who have been wine tasting... Probably best enjoyed at a leisurely pace. But, what a great drive it was.

Special Ed likes this.
  21. One of my many local favorites, although on the roads like this I prefer going UP (as in Hillclimbing) with minimal or no need to use brakes and the speed can easily be controlled by throttle, at least in mine, and most (twisty) hillclimbing can be done in 2nd, as the engine torque range seem to accommodate it from about 20 to 65-70 mph just fine..
    Besides, with no mufflers, her engine scream at the higher end of that RPM range sounds sooooo bitchin', especially in narrow canyons... :)
    ... can almost give one a hard-** o_O:D

Great photo, BTW.
    Your's ?

22. I did that three times a week, in a semi. Having to share that road with idiot bicyclists was nerve wracking. Yow.

Hollywood-East, Jet96 and Special Ed like this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ big foot likes it!

24. 55styleliner

55styleliner

The Three Sisters (Twisted Sisters) in the Texas Hill Country. Awesome ride on 2 -3 or 4 wheels.

RMONTY likes this.
  25. Oilguy

Oilguy

The videos are fantastic. I love Idaho. Thanks for the ride.

26. oldsman41

oldsman41

The road to pikes peak might get your panties dirty.

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My town is full of such roads: Victoria Drive from Sea Point to Hout Bay, then back up to Constantia Nek and Rhodes Drive; Chapman's Peak Drive on to Noordhoek; Kommetjie Road from Kommetjie along the coast to Misty Cliffs, Scarborough, then back across the Peninsula to Redhill Road, one switchback after another down to Simon's Town; the Twisty to Hospital Bend and on past the University into Newlands. Even in town there are the curves up Kloofnek to the ridge leading into Camps Bay, then Kloof Road back to Clifton. And further afield are Helshoogte, the Franschhoek Pass, the Houw Hoek Pass, the old Du Toitskloof Pass, Bain's Kloof Pass, and the coast road from Gordon's Bay to Kleinmond. Ample opportunities for falling off mountains upside-down, often into the sea. It's lots of fun (unless you're stuck behind a tourist in a rental car whose very body language says, "Just look at this view!")
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here's a historic photo of an Austin 10 getting gloriously sideways on a not-yet-tarred Houw Hoek Pass:
    [​IMG]
    -pics from all over the Internet ...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  28. Crankhole

Crankhole

29. Ontario, California ?
    I must find better maps, as I'm only +/- 15 minutes away.
    Darn, that looks like more fun than two barrels full or monkeys.

30. I was invited to a car club event which included several day driving tour around S.A. last year, but the cost to attend with shipping my own car, etc, etc, was just insanely cost prohibitive.
    Would've been fun though and probably included some of the roads you mention.

Ned Ludd likes this.