Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Period correct supercharging

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NielsK, Sep 2, 2018.

1. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Hi guys. I have a nice sweet running Nash Standard Six. It'll end up in a T.R.O.G. style car. Light body, some kind of speedster body. As you probably know there are no speed parts for a Standard Six. But with 7 main bearings and fully pressurized oiling system it almost screams: "Supercharger" at me. Here goes: What options do I have? It has to be pre '48 to comply with the rules. And you UK guys please chime in. I know a lot of UK based "specials" where supercharged. If anybody has an idea where to souce a good example. . . That would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. What year did the GMC blowers start ?

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You are on the right track, those old mildly tuned low compression engines respond well to supercharging especially the centrifugal type.
    McCulloch made blowers for Ford in the 1930s. There were centrifugal blowers on Graham, Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg cars in the 30s. Graham superchargers turn up from time to time. There was a long, long thread about a Ford tractor 4 banger with one in the TROG, I suppose you have seen it.

The popular VS57 did not debut until 1953. But it has a vintage appearance and can be adapted to many engines.

There were European made aftermarket superchargers like Centric, Judson, and others. Where you would find one I don't know. Most of them were made for engines under 2 liters.

You might be able to take a turbocharger off an old diesel truck and modify the blower section into a belt driven supercharger.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Graham straight eight supercharger
    [​IMG]

From the other side
    [​IMG]

McCulloch for 30s Ford
    upload_2018-9-2_11-57-22.jpeg

McCulloch VS57 on a Ford flathead
    [​IMG]

You get the idea. It may be possible to find a vintage supercharger in Denmark, if not you should certainly be able to find an old turbo you can modify.

5. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Some more pictures of vintage superchargers;
    Miller Meet 2012 046.jpg
    Alpha Romeo
    Miller meet 054.jpg
    Miller meet 057.jpg
    I think this is a Miller impeller,
    Miller meet 052.jpg

classiccarjack and Jet96 like this.
  6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Rusty : Judson was made in Conshohocken, PA( a suburb of Philadalphia )

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Sorry for the confusion. I remember the Judson being advertised in sports car magazines in the fifties for MG, VW, Triumph etc and assumed it was imported.

The Powerplus was a similar design made in England. I believe SCOTT superchargers were made in Italy. Is the OP going to find a suitable vintage supercharger in Denmark? You never know your luck.

In any case I recommend the centrifugal type as being the simplest, lightest, and best suited to mild hop up of a road going engine. It doesn't do much at low RPM, where vintage engines are strongest, but helps a lot at medium to high speeds where they start gasping for air.

8. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

I really like the idea of modifying an old turbo. . Problem will be complying to the pre 48 rule. I have a lead on 2 small Rootes type blowers. They' ve run on a 1.5 liter Riley. Thinking of running them in tandem. They need a lot of work though

Unkl Ian likes this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This is too obvious but if you hop up an old engine you must be sure the bearings, rings, pistons, oiling system etc are in top shape or your engine will have a short life, if a merry one.

With a centrifugal supercharger you can get a horsepower increase of 30% to 40% and never hurt the engine. This supposes a blower pressure of 4 - 5 pounds. The American cars that had superchargers, considered this pressure perfectly consistent with the use of ordinary pump gas, and did not hurt driveability or engine life. But it certainly adds a lot of oomph where you need it most.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why pre 48? Are you planning on shipping the car to New Jersey for the TROG?

11. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Super nice pics by the way I would love a Graham or a Frenzel

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  13. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Unkl Ian the GMC blowers were out in 1938 on the 71 series engines.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  14. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Thanks. That was what I expected. I found a Kaiser Frazer on E . . . But somehow I can't image it in my engine bay, it's hideous Not that pricey though. I'll try and wrestle the 2 Roots type blowers from a old geezer I've met recently. They need a lot of work. But they would look killer in tandem hanging on the side of that old green six cylinder

15. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Wow I didn't know that. I've always thought they popped up in the early fifties

chris13mel and Unkl Ian like this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

I'll take a 6-71 with a Hilborn 4 port injector.....

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking for a throttle body now.

rdscotty and Deuces like this.
  19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I dont know much about superchargers except you probably need to run a chain drive:)

Just Gary likes this.
  20. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Thought of that. It would scare my pants of everytime I rev it up and that chain starts to "sing". Naaah I would be stupid enough to try it

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Leave the Riley superchargers to the Riley fans. You can do better. For your purpose a centrifugal blower is better than a roots.

NielsK likes this.
  22. topher5150

topher5150

NielsK likes this.
  23. topher5150

topher5150

also any other cool crank driven supercharger

NielsK likes this.
  24. banjorear

banjorear

Yep. When I was kid and was fooling with VW's, the Judson was the set-up. Everything fit under the hood. It allowed those 1200 CC's to actually climb a steep hill in 2nd gear. LOL!

NielsK and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

I put a Graham Supercharger on my roadster about 15yrs ago. It producrs just over the amount of power it takes to run it. They are certainly neat pieces...

It's on a '37 Dodge 218 w/ a 5 speed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

NielsK and classiccarjack like this.
  26. sunbeam

sunbeam

NielsK and Hnstray like this.
  27. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Jet96 likes this.
  28. nutrocker

nutrocker

I believe the Wade company started making blowers in ‘47 although the RO34 didn’t get fitted to the Commer TS3 till ‘53. A bit of research might find the RO34 and it’s little brother the RO20 used a lot earlier.
    Interestingly, the roots type blower like the RO34 make really good low down efficiency. As high as 90% efficient low down but dropping to 70% around the mid range revs and boost and then a massive drop to 50% at the higher revs.
    The setup I have produces a full 10 lbs of boost (according to my boost gauge) when driven at 1:1 engine speed and gives boost really low down.
    The angled intake/output flanges is due to having straight rotors. The idea is to even out the pulses that the straight rotors produce.

NielsK and Jet96 like this.
  29. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

@Inline...

I would love to see pictures of your 1937!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

An easy /cheap and great looking setup is the Wade RO34 .It already has the curved outlet underneath which makes it easy to fab the intake .Also, the rotors dont need pins . Look for old pommy Commer trucks with the flat four two stroke engine . Looks quite like a Scott .

NielsK likes this.