Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical touchy carburetors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau 51, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Beau 51

Beau 51

after countless struggles with my rochester B 1bbl am seriously considering a much more reliable replacement! can anyone out there give me some good detailed optioins? thanks,Frustrated Beau

2. Snipe

Snipe

I like the Quick Fuel Carbs. Pretty much like Holleys.
    Kurt

Deuces likes this.
  3. metalman

metalman

I put a Daytona carb on a 6 cylinder Chevy for a guy, seemed to be easy to tune and he's happy with it.

Deuces likes this.
  4. upspirate

upspirate

Uh , kinda hard for recommendations for a carb without knowing the application.

Deuces and ClayMart like this.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What kind of trouble are you having?

ClayMart likes this.
  6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Black and Decker aquarium pump

Deuces likes this.
  7. Sadly No, they are made off shore now.

8. Take a look at rebuilt Carters. Sure to have one to match your app.

6inarow likes this.
  9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Uh , kinda hard for recommendations for a carb without knowing the application."
    Aw, c'mon, it's a rochester B 1bbl! optioins, anyone?

wraymen likes this.
  10. carbking

carbking

The OP's profile suggests he/she has a 1949 Chevrolet truck.

In which case, the original would have been a Carter type W-1 identification 684s. This is an excellent carb, but as it is a one-year, one-make, one-model with unique parts; rebuilding kits are EXPENSIVE!

The 1948 carburetor was a Carter type W-1 identification 574s. Excellent carb, almost as common as dirt, inexpensive parts, inexpensive carb. The functional difference from the 574s to the 684s was the addition of a link from the choke that opened the throttle when the choke was on, acting as a fast idle link.

Chevrolet, in 1950, replaced the excellent Carter W-1 with the less-than-excellent (trying to cut down on bad-mouthing) Rochester B, which MAY be what the OP has; would have been nice to know.

Carter then released a number of type YF replacement carbs for the various type B Rochesters. The original Carter replacement for the replacement B that replaced the 684s was YF 787s. 787s was later replaced by 964s. Both 787s and 964s are excellent carburetors, relatively available, and relatively inexpensive. Also parts are readily available, and relatively inexpensive.

The 574s is virtually bullet-proof.

The 787s and 964s are slightly advanced in technology over the 574s, but both use diaphragm accelerator pumps. On a "daily driver", the diaphragms work very well. On an enthusiast vehicle that is driven only occasionally, the use of ethanol-laced fuels can cause premature failure of the diaphragm.

Jon.

Beanscoot and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Most folks do have a lot of trouble with the "B". I seem to have better luck than just about anyone due to a few details.
    1. Each of the 3 big pieces get straightened & trued. 120% of the air horns are warped from over tightening. When using new gaskets, soak in gas before ass'y. & tighten the screws several times after fireup & some use - but don't try to stop leakage by overtightening.
    2. The seat for the power valve steel ball is often corroded or nicked - dress it.
    3. Use a ball deglazer in the pump barrel until all the scoring is gone.
    4. Eliminate ALL slack in acc. pump linkage.
    5. Keep fuel pressure at 2 1/2 lbs.
    6. Keep teflon tape & deathanol fuel away from them.

12. Ditch the leaky, stinky B for a Carter YF. I've use them on 3 vehicles with great success, a 230 chevy, a 235 chevy and a 261 Chevy. The 261 runs a Ford 240/300 YF with a .110 main jet........it runs soooooo nice.

13. Roccoromane

Roccoromane

What model number or year of Ford YF replaces the Rochester, I've got ditch my leaking carb in a bad way! Lol

14. I used the 6420s and made a bolt on piece for the accelerator linkage.
    carb-1.jpg