Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects model A steering column question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coody, Aug 29, 2018.

1. coody

coody

looking for suggestions on what type of column to install in my 31 sedan.don't know if a 70 Chevy tilt column would look good. Maybe just a straight column but don't know were to get one.Don't know yet about a steering wheel either. tks!!

2. Depends on what box you want to run. I’ve used a postal Jeep in a ‘30 coupe.

3. Tilt columns in Vintage cars Stink. You should decide what era your visual effect is then dig up the steering stuff. Mix-n-Match all the years together and your finished project will just be another one hung together.
    The Wizzard

Ned Ludd likes this.
  4. coody

coody

Vega box 4"drop axle. Forgot to add that! I like the look of the forties. am looking to put a 38 ford dash in it.

5. coody

coody

I agree I had a tilt column laying around the shop.I have a 38 ford dash I want to section in for the dash.

6. Squablow

Squablow

IF you absolutely have to have a tilt, there are a few from the early to mid 60's, pre-plastic and pre-ignition in the column that look OK, better in a car that is overall 60's themed. But beyond that, a straight column looks best. Decide what steering wheel you want to run and go from there. Some 50's wheels look cool but are huge diameter so sit in the car, wheel in hand before you decide on steering wheel placement. There are straight, plain, chromed steering columns available aftermarket that look good paired with 60's style aftermarket chrome steering wheels and they're not expensive at all.

7. Postal Jeep for a used junkyard column or a lime works for a new one.

8. I like this recipe and it should not have a tilt unit in it. I put a 36 dash in my 30 Roadster with a 40 column.
    20151023_094207.jpg The stock 40 column drop bolted to the dash and I used the stock 40 key switch. Also this car is Channeled 6" so a stock body should be a walk in the park with this combo. You can use this stuff and connect to a Vega box just as well.
    The Wizzard

ydopen and Squablow like this.
  9. coody

coody

Hey! what gauges will you be using? I picked up a 38 ford dash w/ the original gauges. I wanted to use them but the temp gauge is my problem. I like the column. what do you think it would fit in a sedan?

10. Coody; My Roadster is all pre 1950. It runs a Flathead so I will be using all Stock 36 gauges, spedo, and even a 36 Radio. It really shouldn't matter what motor you choose, the Temp gauge will work just fine. What seems to be the problem with it? I see no reason many early columns can't be adapted very easily into your Sedan, we've been doing it for ever.
    The Wizzard

11. coody

coody

Wizzard; the cap tube is broke off the temp gauge.Do you know of a place were I can get replacement gauges? Maybe gas,oil,amp also. I also have a 29 roadster body w/ stock frame. picked up a complete running gear ( front & rear suspension flathead and trans from a 37 ford truck.A buddy of mine had for $500.Thought it might be a good start for a pre 50 build. 9-12-2017 062.jpg 5-9-2017 013.jpg

12. Broken cap tube is a non issue. Easy repair. Do a Google search. In fact I think it was done here as a how to some time back.
    The Wizzard

13. I don't know if a '38 and a '39 gauge are the same but I got a new temp gauge for my '39 dash in my '30 from Mac's they ain't cheap but you can get them.

14. Squablow

Squablow

Those are the gauges I run in my '26 and I have a Model A column in my car.

20180627_110615.jpg

This setup would look super weird with a tilt column in it. If that's the era you're going for, you need just a straight tube type column.

46international likes this.
  15. coody

coody

Squablow; I agree on the column! I like your dash. Real simple. Something am going for. were did you get your gauges from? I checked mac's but didn't find all I needed.

Squablow likes this.
  16. After market manual temp gauge with same size Copper tube, a very short tube for a sleeve, a bucket of Ice and some solder will make a broken one work again and be the stock unit. Go to this sight :http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge
    The Wizzard

46international likes this.
  17. I used a Ford F1 box, column & wheel

18. coody

coody

man they got a fix for everything!! going to look into this.tks

19. Squablow

Squablow

They're used original ones. If you watch ebay, good used ones come around and they arent too terrible expensive either. I just am lucky my tube was never cut.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

coody likes this.