Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quiet electric fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lcfman, Aug 29, 2018.

1. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Anyone know of a relatively quite electric fuel pump. I am currently using a Holley red pump and its really loud. This is my second pump on this vehicle and the first one was loud too.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have a Carter P4070 in my 53 F100. It is mounted just beneath the driver on the frame and it can only be heard prior to the engine starting.

Tacson likes this.
  3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

A lot depends on how you mount them. Rigid to the frame is going to be noisy. I have mine in a 90s ford truck fuel pump bracket. Can only be heard when you flip on the key to prime it. Prior I had multiple different pumps straight to the frame and they resonate like mad

rockable and RMR&C like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

I just installed one of those Carter P4070 in my sedan and it sounds plenty noisy. I used the supplied rubber isolators at the top studs between the pump and the L bracket, but it still makes noise. I think I'll add more rubber isolators between the L bracket and the frame.

I'm also willing to hear other better suggestions in case this doesn't quiet it down.

5. You need louder exhaust.

6. I see a problem with the Holley pump, noise-wise. The mounting bracket induces the user to bolt it directly to the frame of a car with no rubber isolation (first photo). I assume it is a rotary vane pump, not a vibrating diaphragm one so it has a hope of being quiet. Vibrators don't! Figure out a way to install it with a rubber isolation mount, not just a rubber 'gasket' between the bracket and frame. Better would be to drill the frame holes bigger and put the bolts thru grommets in the frame holes.

Second photo is of the Carter rotary pump I use on all my builds. It is rubber isolated and I can't hear it at all. Less than $60 which is even better!

[​IMG] carter.jpg

7. I don't quite know what to say..

8. I replaced a Carter electric pump recently with an
    Airtex External Electric Fuel Pumps E8012S
    It is "quite quiet". Can hardly hear it running. But I got it for a combination to run with a mechanical pump. I dont know if it would supply enough fuel all by itself to a hot rod engine.

0nedon likes this.
  9. 1535581931729-298970337.jpg
    Some rubber washers on each side of the mounting. With snug, not tight locking bolts&nuts helped a lot.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think all of the pumps posted are quite suitable for the purpose.

I’m at a loss figuring out what a quite pump is however :confused:

11. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

take your wife with you when you cruse, you wont be able to hear it above the BITCHING, lol.

GeezersP15, Bandit Billy and jetnow1 like this.
  12. speedshifter

speedshifter

I run a red Holly elec pump with Holly press reg set at 2 lb feeding 4 97's, worked perfect for 20,000 mi. Then it croaked. Disassembly showed upper armature bushing was dry causing armature to seize & quit turning. I drilled a small hole in the center of the top lid. A drop of oil in the hole will prevent this from happening again. Thehole can be sealed up with silicone or racer tape. Over all I consider this to be a quality pump. Greg

13. Edelbrock pumps are fairly quiet.

14. My Holley blue just took a crap......... I miss the noise already.

chevy57dude likes this.
  15. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Try putting a piece of bicycle inner tube around the entire pump. Personally I like the noise myself. These are hot rods you know...…...

scotty t likes this.
  16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Have a holley Blue pump on the lark, Its mounted with insulators and the only time I hear it is when I turn the ignition on. After I fire the engine I cant hear it:cool: Kinda miss my old 69 camaro SS396 with a holley blue pump that was solid mounted to the rear frame rail, granted I had no relay wired into it but at a stop light with the turn signal on it would change pitch...loud soft loud soft ;)Kinda miss that sound backed by a solid cammed big block.

chevy57dude likes this.
  17. My Holley wasn't bad till I got hearing aids from the VA!!!!

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I run a Carter in mine, and it's a little noisy but not too bad. Personally, I like a little noise from the pump, which can at least tell me whether or not it's working when I'm trying to troubleshoot. problem.

Tacson and ClarkH like this.
  19. Nothing?

Ben

20. My Airtex was noisey, until I hung it like a tailpipe. Sorta. Actually, a parts store pipe hanger with the "rubber" strap between the clamp an a metal strap. Clamp around pump. Strap to frame. I now struggle to hear it at switch on!

Ben

21. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Carter on my sedan makes plenty of noise. At least I'll know where I was the day it dies.

22. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As others have mentioned, a little fuel pump buzz on startup on is not a bad thing. Driving a '61 Healey 3000 many years ago I hit a pothole - hard. 1/8 mile down the road the car just quit. Turned off the ignition, turned it back on, but there was no fuel pump rattle told me exactly the problem - the spade connector was jolted off the pump. A quick re-connect and we were back in business! That was a Lucas electric pump, btw.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  23. rjones35

rjones35

You could go in-tank? Then it would be super quiet.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I mounted mine on a wood block to isolate the noise

25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I installed one of theses pumps in my flathead powered 40 coupe a couple of years ago. It is mounted on 1/4" thick rubber. It is much more quiet than the Holley type pump I was running before.
    upload_2018-8-30_10-21-27.png
    Of course I keep an identical spare pump in the trunk with all of the correct hose and electrical fittings ready for a quick swap in case of pump failure. So far no problems though.

rjones35 likes this.
  26. RidingMechanic

RidingMechanic
    from Cincinnati

Anyone running a Facet pump? These are the continuation of the old Bendix Elmira pumps used on vintage sports cars and aircraft. There's a variety of outlet sizes and capacities. They click when you first power them up and they're filling the carbs, but after that I can barely hear anything. For high performance applications they're often plumbed in series.

There's a bunch of cheap copies that popped up recently and I'd assume they're hit and miss quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Facet-Purola...TF8&qid=1535650356&sr=1-8&keywords=facet+pump

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Fac...F8&qid=1535650356&sr=1-12&keywords=facet+pump

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=FACET

27. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Carter P4070 is the quietest best flowing we have found.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. RmK57

RmK57

My vote goes for the Carter also. Those Holley blue, red, black pumps are quite noisy especially if your fuel system is dead headed with the pump hammering away all the time. No thanks.

29. I haven't read all the replies, but are you mounting the fuel pump on rubber, that will quieten it down. HRP

30. RmK57

RmK57

That was on a 64 Falcon I had a while back. The 57 I have now has the biggest mechanical Carter they make. It supplies plenty enough for the 514 in it now.