Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tire truing or shaving?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by modified, Aug 27, 2018.

1. modified

modified

Got them off with no damage!

Sent from my SM-N900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

winduptoy and Stogy like this.
  2. modified

modified

That's what I am hoping to find!

Stogy likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car Doctor I know there are other threads but you said your tires were new would they not replace?

A Boner talked to a rep and he said road-force wasn't good for skinny Bias Plys yet they will accept a printout saying the tire is not salvageable? Theres many angles to this and from the consumer end a lot of running around spending money to hear bad news. Bottom line is if the tire is no good it should be replaced under warranty. Glad your problem was rectified.

Its also easy to see there are several methods of pacifying out of round conditions in today's modern methods. when they are exhausted buy new...or return under warranty.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  4. car doctor

car doctor

I never tried to have them replaced. This is the second set of front tires I have put on the car and had to have the first set shaved too. The rear tires no problem at all. Both sets of front tires were coker Firestone bias ply 5.60x15. I just think the tire molds they are using are old and not to good or true.

Stogy likes this.
  5. modified

modified

My guy is shaving my tires on the car

Stogy likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first set was good after shaving as well? You replaced them after how many miles. Did you feel the lifetime of the tires was influenced drmatically by the shaving?

modified likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I posted a video of a fella shaving a tire on a Deuce...:confused:...uhhh nope that would be a Model A with 32 Grill and Shell...:D...using the floor model on one of the other threads on shaving.

And another machine same place...I'm not sure but this may be a 2 step process shave and polish perhaps?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/shaving-tires.1116536/

8. BJR

BJR

Shave the tires, makes them round. Road force balance them, puts them in balance. Put balance beads in them and mount them on car. Balance beads will fix out of balance brake drums. Lots of brake drums are way out of balance. Unless the tires/wheels are balanced on car the out of balance brake drums can still cause wheel hop at speed.

modified and Stogy like this.
  9. modified

modified

I think I may try the balance beads after the shaving!

Stogy likes this.
  10. car doctor

car doctor

I had about 10,000 miles on the first set, still a little tread left but I was taking some long trips with the coupe and not having a spare tire I decided to get new ones for the front. The back tires are still pretty good yet. Don't lay too much tire with the flathead!!!

11. I wouldn't worry about mileage accuracy.
    Regardless of the type of vehicles, I've always followed these "a-rule-of-thumb"s:
    Replace tires every 5-6 years (from date of manufacture) or when 75-80 % of thread is worn, which ever comes first.
    And depending on type of driving and/or tires, rotate every 2.5K or 5K miles.
    Anything less and I would probably have to discard my "car guy" outfits and start wearing bright colored, flower print dresses. :rolleyes:

Stogy likes this.
  12. modified

modified

I think I may try the balance beads after the shaving!

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A customer at a Safety Center where I was employed became incensed, then hysterical when he realized some RUBBER was being shaved from his tires!
    He bellowed, "25,000 miles of good rubber laying on the floor, and I'm payin' em ta do it!"
    He was counseled, and finally succumbed to the warm blanket of UNcommon sense.
    We were confident that the rubber shaved could be his own, but with the smoothness gained the longevity would be in his favor.
    He stopped in a week later to thank all involved. Reported a ride 'smoother than when car was brand new'.

Stogy and modified like this.
  14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Lots of opinions here, and you know what they say about that.BUT. I have had very good luck with on the car strobe lite balancing. Balances everything together.BUT that kind of balancing is very hard to find today .Just one more opinion!!

15. koolbeans

koolbeans

Do it. Then balance them on the car. Best thing since sliced bread and caviar. You will be amazed.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

modified likes this.
  16. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

I like this idea, throw some borrowed radial wheels/tires and go for a ride. Maybe there is some suspension issues.....then you will understand how much is tire vs suspension and know what best. It's easy and cheap. I also like the "on the car" wheel balance idea above though I realize how hard it is to find a shop that still does this. I further would contact coker and ask them if they have a booklet or something on the internet describing the procedures necessary for best case balancing of biased tires. Good luck

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using H.A.M.B. mobile app

modified likes this.
  17. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

FYI there are older and newer stick on weights, older being heavy lead and newer one are steel and less heavy. Try to use the heavier lead ones which in California are now illegal! With the new steal ones the tire shop has to put like 10 weights in an area that is like 6 inches wide because you can't stick them! If the shop uses the old lead ones it can be spread over a narrower area....like 3 inches. Thus the weight is closest to where it needs to be according to the balancing machine and therefore more effective. IE the balancing machines pinpoint the exact location on wheel where the weights need to be and amount of weight......but when they add that amount of weight over a 6 inch area I think you get a less effective balancing job.....or at least there is room for improvement in the balance job.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using H.A.M.B. mobile app

modified likes this.
  18. modified

modified

What do you think of balance beads??

19. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

No experience w them. My little old lady neighbor is 80 and still operates a tire shop!. I saw that when the lead weights went away here in Calif the tire hands would put on like 10 weights....which previously would be 3 weights or one bigger weight. That's a little wheel and tire compared to my suburban wheel. With my suburban they would have to put 25 weights......ineffective. In this case the environmental effects of having lead weights in the landfills exceed the actual need for lead weights. So they are not avail in CA. Tire shops routinely put on these long trains of weight and the wheel still isn't balanced when it leaves the door! Good luck chief!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

46international and modified like this.
  20. How the heck can that be?

modified likes this.
  21. Well, maybe that rep knows more than you, I and many others put together... or maybe he just believed it before he got fired ? :rolleyes:

modified and 46international like this.
  22. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Chances are they didn't break tire down, move it to different spot on rim. A good tire man may try this more than once. Amazing how much difference that makes some times.

modified and TTR like this.
  23. :cool:

(See my 4th signature line)

modified likes this.
  24. modified

modified

I got the call today for my tire shaving appointment @ 9:00am 10/1/2018!
    DynaBeads ordered today.
    Can't wait to see what happens, stay tuned!

Stogy likes this.
  25. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Questions:
    Is there a difference between being out of round and just being flatspotted?
    If the tire is flatspotted, will shaving cure the flatspotting?

Stogy and modified like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting question as @modified is taking wheels off to his tech so when not under weighted load will flat spots disappear if they existed? Does the tech overinflate the tire to remove flat spots prior to shaving? Are flat spots external or within the internal part of the tire.

modified likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@modified are you having your tech spin balance after shaving and then adding beads and respinning to recheck balance?

28. modified

modified

At this point all I know is the "shaver" wants me to drive 15 miles or so to get the tires hot and by 9:00 it should be about 90° outside.
    I was told by a buddy at SoCal Speed Shop (who swears by this guy) that after the tires are trued the "shaver" will have me drive it to get the tires hot again for a re-check or final trim.

46international and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm excited to see the results of all of this...it's a gearhead thing I guess. The Rubber Race...:D

modified likes this.
  30. modified

modified

Yea, I'm excited to see the results too! My buddy at SoCal uses this guy to true his tires and he also uses the DynaBeads and has been very happy with the results!

Stogy likes this.