Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs This is not long beach..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KFC, Aug 27, 2018.

1. KFC

KFC
    from UK

Back in the tail end of 2015 I bought Tim Musico’ 41 ford custom and had it shipped it to the UK, it arrived in December and I set about getting it ready for the Uk roads while waiting for registration etc.

This is how it sat on arrival, I had concerns about the chop from the pictures I’d seen but I was happy as a pig in shit when I saw it in the metal.

We went through it top to tail rebuilt the front suspension, brakes, took the wiring loom out and reinstalled it.
    Powder coated a lot of suspension, replaced Slaved cylinders, new drums, new ball joints.
    I pulled the steering box and stripped it, it wasn’t bad so reassembled and set up correctly. We also unreversd eye the front spring.

The car had come with a rechromed front bumper which Tim chose not to fit, I felt it needed a bumper and sourced a accessory bumper guard while I was at it.

I also sourced a pair of Appleton’s, the car had run a set back when it was first customised in the late 70’s early 80’s

While the column was out I restored the column drop and column. I also ordered up a lime works Crestliner wheel and 40 ford style column shifter in stainless steel, I’d also scored a period correct indicator switch which was restored rewired and installed.
    The car had very little in the way of switches or etc, so a set of appropriate switches where sourced I also installed electric wipers and a heater to add to the luxury.

I also made up some carpets to smarten things up.

To be continued..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! If I got a car like that I´d be happy as a pig in shit, too! Good work and good buy! have fun!

3. KFC

KFC
    from UK

4. It's a beauty!

hendelec and Hnstray like this.
  5. KFC

KFC
    from UK

6. Looks like a cool show. I would love to see some more pictures of that Caddy.

7. Where did you find ball joints on a 41 Ford?
    Really nice custom/

verde742, warhorseracing and Malcolm like this.
  8. The addition of the front bumper and the Appletons made a vast improvement on an already nice car.

Mick

hendelec likes this.
  9. They got them from the angel hair store...……..

10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best chop on a '41 Ford business coupe I've ever seen. Congrats! Good to see the car being finished.

hendelec likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very nice ride - Thanks for sharing pics of it & car show

hendelec likes this.
  12. LBCD

LBCD

this is Long Beach! Great looking 41 and great thread title, you got my attention real quick! I follow you on IG and you do some great interior work!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

hendelec likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Very likely the English version of tie rod ends...which are, of course, ball joints....

hendelec, joel and 56don like this.
  14. verde742

verde742

Now we know where ALL the angel hair went.......:rolleyes:

pitman, Ralphies54 and hendelec like this.
  15. brady1929

brady1929

Great job.

hendelec likes this.
  16. KFC

KFC
    from UK

Yep, wait it’ll get worse.

So I used the car as it was that summer and started to make a plan of what I wanted to change
    I couldn’t live with the airbag setup so it was decided to make the car static height, the fuel tank and air tank were in the boot (trunk) and basically made it useless, the exhaust sounded a bit muscle car 2.5” system, tubular headers exits at the axle.

Next to a stock height 40 ford in the workshop, it was 10 inches lower at the running board

Couple of local shows

Even made a honourable mention in custom car magazine

Come September life changed for the worst and I decided life was to short for it not be the car I dreamt it would be so phase one started

Dropping the car off at Buckland Automotive for the chassis to sorted.

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hanging on a limb...What's Next?...Stogy exclaimed with eager anticipation...:D

hendelec likes this.
  18. KFC

KFC
    from UK

Work time now I’ll add a bit later, fair to say it got a little out of hand

hendelec and Stogy like this.
  19. fortynut

fortynut

I have no gripe against money, or what it buys; nor do I need to complain that our cousins across the pond in England, or their kin in Australia maybe use their disposable income more wisely. But, judging from their appreciation for our hobby, and their eye for some of the best specimens, is it me, or do other fellow HAMBers worry when we want to see what our hot rod/ custom past was like, we're going to need airfare to do so? And, evermore embarrassing is they have a better idea of what is era correct. KFC, don't think I am being xenophobic, but you are the perfect custodian of this beautiful custom. I'm just trying to make point about the difference between someone who sees these cars for what they are, and others who think they exist in great numbers. Each one that still exists is a one-of-a-kind work of art. When they find permanent homes (as far as permanent can be), there won't be any more of them. And, even though I have never been much on the speculative side of these cars as investments, finite numbers of anything of value fluctuates upwards in the passage of time. At some future point most of us, who scrape by and hide parts under our beds and in closets until we have enough to build our dreams, will be so far from owning something built back when magic was in the air, as we will be from laying down a wad for a fresh Ferrari. Just saying.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    48fordnut, Baumi, Ranchero59 and 2 others like this.
  20. KFC

KFC
    from UK

For a long time the exchange rate was in majorly in our favour and a lot of people took advantage of it.

That said this car hung around along time before I bought it, I don’t think the pictures did it justice but equally the finish looks better in pics than reality.

To illustrate the point I sold my 32 glass roadster over here for £20k and this landed cost me £17k landed from memory

21. KFC

KFC
    from UK

So the car was now in the capable hands of Adrian smith and his team at buckland, who cut it into small bits.

First job was to in C notch the frame about 6”, remove the airbag set up and fit coil overs, all floors rear of the rear window where removed and re made, petrol tank moved under the floor and fuel filler flap reinstated, in the process it was found the rear roll pan was mainly fibreglass and filler so the rear roll pan and boot shut panel where remade from scratch, the boot latch was remade to be a bit more user friendly and the number plate aperture and mount were reconfigured.

The exhausts where remade in 2” stainless exiting all the way at the back and ramshorn corvette headers fitted. At the same time I got them to fit an Ali rad with trans cooler I’d bought and a properly mounted electric fan
    The car was transformed both in drive ride and sound

22. GeeRam

GeeRam

Excellent.

Certainly in good hands with Ade and the crew up there :cool:

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Beautiful looking Custom!
    Seems odd that the builder focused work on the chop, paint work, etc. but left a rusty, unrebuilt front suspension under it.

24. KFC

KFC
    from UK

To be fair most of it was probably fine but the car had been on the road 5 years and some of the lowering and mods where a bit crude. I like to know it’s all good and the plan for this car is to drive it so it needs to be good.

25. KFC

KFC
    from UK

So December 2016 I got the car back from Ade and at this point decided that after the car doing two winters in the Uk plus correctional works and touch ups, the door jambs needed painting, the front wings had micro blistered (prep that is fine in California isn’t upto Uk damp and temperature change)
    = repaint
    So the car was booked in for February time, in the meantime I planned the upholstery, stripped back all the floors and painted them, cleaned the underside and stone chipped it then sound deadened the car ( literally everywhere)

I’m not Eblackdesign but you get the gist

Rear shelf area
    Door panel and seat

Somewhere in here I fitted a new 3rd member I thought the car was Erving a bit much at motorway speeds so fitted a 3.00 only to find what was in it was 2.76 anyway least I knew it was new.

Any way 1st of January rolled round and a customer of mine that was booked in before me at the paint shop cancelled last minute so mine got moved up, I stripped it to the minimum required to drive it and dropped it off for paint.

The Autoshop a local Aston martin franchised body shop (the only Uk no main dealer) took on the work, we’d worked together on some customer projects and got to know each other well. Plus rich and Chris the body man and painter are both old school talented guys.

Guess what happened next

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you are doing it up right.
    I'm wondering if possibly part of the difference for car guys in the UK and the US is that US folks in general get hit harder with the It has to be the latest flashiest trick of the week thing rather than appreciating things the way they always were as part of life. Here there seems to be too much emphasis placed on things having to be the newest, flashiest and grandest of all be it buildings cars or other things.

27. rustythumb

rustythumb

hi, i'm the guy who owned your car back in the 80's & 90's. [stock drive train then]. it just keeps getting better! by the way,in what part of the u.k. do you live? i ask because i was born in birmingham [war baby] , but have lived in so cal since then.

28. KFC

KFC
    from UK

That’s brilliant, I’ve come across other owners on Instagram (the chap who fitted the sbc and trans)

I’m in Gloucestershire about 60 miles south of Birmingham

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.