Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you have a radio in your Hot Rod or Custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 27, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

117 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Yes, I do but it doesn't work

25 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Yes, I do but I never turn it on

34 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. No, I would rather hear the engine

165 vote(s)
    48.4%
  1. Lil32

Lil32

radio/CD player under seat with 6 stacker in trunk
    plays Beach Boys or ZZ Tops

dana barlow likes this.
  2. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Don’t have one in my 31 coupe, or my daily driver.
    Never had one in my Harley either. Prefer the sound of great pipes to made up music.
    Of course if any station ever plays all Jimmy Hendrix, all the time, I’m in!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. With worn out glass packs and a straight cut V8 Halibrand, added to wind noise, I can't hear somebody yelling next to me. No wonder I don't have one. Maybe in the sedan some day.

5. 49deluxe

49deluxe

I have an original AM radio in my ‘49 chevy. It’s nothing fancy but I don’t have it to be fancy, I have it because its original and I love original.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

49ratfink likes this.
  6. gene-koning

gene-koning

My coupe has no radio. At 60 mph with the windows down, and my loss of low range hearing, it would have to be cranked way up for me to hear it good enough to enjoy the music. I can however still carry on a conversation with my passenger without shouting.

When I'm alone, I enjoy the quite of my own little world. There are times when I think I wouldn't mind having some music, but then I remember all the stuff that gets tied to the music and decide it isn't worth the effort to install something.

The new truck won't get a radio either, I wouldn't be able to hear it at all. My old truck has a radio, I listen to it until I can't stand all the commercials (which isn't very long), then shut it off. When I drive my wife's car (mostly in the winter), I can listen to the radio in it. I can turn it up so I can hear it (the windows are up), but my wife keeps turning it down. Then all I hear is some high pitched sounds, and people mumbling. Gene

7. my 33 pickup has a radio but I cant hear it with the old flowmasters going down the highway and Taboo doesn't have one either as the das was smoothed up in the early 90's

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5-channel, 15" subwoofer, 1600W, quiet mufflers.

49ratfink likes this.
  9. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Got AM/FM Cassette in my 49 Chevy and AM/FM CD in my 40 and only use it for the clock to tell time going down the road.

Camshaft and Twice Pipes is the only music I listen to.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  10. hudson48

hudson48

I have Retrosound in all three(Roadster/Hudson/Riviera). Modern radios with built in technology for today.
    They have a range of styles and faceplates that can be used for whatever era you want. I went with the same basic radio in all three cars so that I only have to remember one set of instructions to operate and change settings. Can't hear much in the roadster at speed though. The other cars are great.
    1 Roadster radio.jpg 2 Hudson radio.jpg 3 Riviera radio.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  11. Hmmm, not really sure if I have true Hot Rods or Customs......but 3 vehicles have radios (well, 2 but the 3rd one will). The ones that don't have radios are the louder ones that are music by themselves :).

12. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

[​IMG][​IMG]

Both of these have sound. The 50 has an original radio I converted to AM/FM Stereo with iPod input. Has an led at the top to tell you if you are on AM or FM or FM Stereo. I just installed a unit with an FM radio and MP3 player I got off of EBay in the 32. Really tiny unit. Came with nice small speakers I installed in the corners of rear window. Has surprisingly good sound. My trip back to Seattle from Montana after buying the car told me I needed some tunes on long drives.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow and jnaki like this.
  13. 392

Not yet but could entertain it. Low on my list.

14. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Radio yes. Able to hear anything over the wind noise, mufflers, and road noise, no!

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  15. No radio, would rather listen to a lightly muffled flathead V8.

car doctor likes this.
  16. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Have one in my 29 Pickup that doesn't work . original AM Radio in my 53 Coupe Deville was Professionally restored , not working . My 33 never had one , My 48 Ford Coupe has one with a CD which I do like and use often. IMG_0201.JPG

dana barlow and jnaki like this.
  17. topher5150

topher5150

did you have to do much to the dash opening on your 48?

I love driving with music, and a nice exhaust. I'm gonna be the guy bombing down the road blasting 80's thrash metal

waxhead likes this.
  18. I voted no I would rather hear my engine but the real truth is no I just don't have one.

I did make a startling discovery about 15 or so years back. I was in a very light but not HAMB friendly pickup truck back in the early part of the century and driving to a photo shoot. It had a fair stereo in it and the local radio station for whatever reason was playing the worlds best late '60s early '70s rock. Well I got to rockin' and rollin' as did the little truck and I blasted right passed my photo shoot. It was then that I figured out that music is a distraction that I probably cannot afford in a vehicle that may get me into trouble.

OK that's my rabbit trail for the day. I voted no I would rather hear my engine when the truth is that I just don't have one. ;)

19. Roadster-No Coupe-Yes but reception is not good with the antenna under the car and then the engine noise. I think lowdug37 has the right idea. I would love to play this while driving a Hot Rod! If this music does not get you in the mood ,then you got no soul!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Deuces, Blues4U and 49ratfink like this.
  20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Hot rods and Rock & Roll go hand in hand.

Attached Files:

Deuces, robracer1 and dana barlow like this.
  21. Yes, i put a big system in everything I build. I find that 1 watt per horsepower works out well for volume.

lucky ink, Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  22. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My Brother traded for the 48 , a couple months before he passed away , The Radio/CD was in there when I inherited the car , so I can't say what needed to be altered if anything . D Mc

23. There is one in the '50 coupe but I haven't tried it, it's a original AM and I guess if it does work it's probably just talk shows and colon-cleansing infomercials like LAROKE said. :D HRP

Deuces, LAROKE and upspirate like this.
  24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'd rather have no steering wheel than no radio. Even when the engine is sounding great, on a long drive it's like listening to the same song over and over again. Even a good one gets old after a while. I see no reason why you can't be creative and figure a way to put some tunes in the car without being obnoxious about it. It doesn't have to be a brand new Pioneer head unit sawed into an original dash.

25. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Dana you are right-when we were kids no music was unthinkable! Now I find I care less and less about it so I have no radio in my cars.

26. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Radio? Hell, it doesn't even have windshield wipers......

Deuces and LAROKE like this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd like to know how many of you without any radio in the car have a collection of music at home?
    I figure if you are not a big music person a stereo would be much less important since there is not too much to listen to on the radio any more.

28. I have a large music collection at home. I always have a radio in any car quiet enough to hear the thing. Wind and engine noise makes it a waste of time to install tunes, in the RPU.

29. Deuces

Deuces

Page at his best...

30. Deuces

Deuces

500 in mine.....
    Wish I could say the same for my umm.... Wonna be cammer. :(

milwscruffy likes this.