Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

2. elgringo71

elgringo71

Courtesy of @jpierce (These were taken by his mother at Bonneville in 1964 except for the black and white one I think.
    3A168694-79F5-42E9-931C-82695962F287.jpeg 6FE745FC-2911-47CA-8500-8292C4977447.jpeg 30B25A28-985D-4552-B896-35251A32E2CD.jpeg B3B82F15-2C7F-42E7-B1FB-A6329BDCFAC0.jpeg

3. I realize this is a vette thread, but wanted to say... i've been noticing cars for the past 50 years, and I can't say I remember seeing an olds? buick? station wagon like the blue one ahead of the vette in the last photo...

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jason your pictures above of the Lufkin Jones Corvette are pretty cool. Does anyone know if the car survives? I have a pretty thin file on the car but do not remember reading if it is still around.

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Love the thread.......great cars.......especially the early pictures. Here's my contribution.
    Friday, August 17th, headed to the Tri-State Hot Rod Revival in Julesburg, Colorado.
    Nephew driving his '58 Nomad wagon in front of me, hard to see but little brother in his '31 Chevy roadster on the right.
    Julesburg_1.jpg
    Getting ready for tech inspection and waiting for time trails to begin.
    Julesburg_2.jpg
    Julesburg_3.jpg Just wanted to make a timed run to see what she would do. I was good until I dumped the clutch.
    Unfortunately.......an offering was made to the God of Speed. ET: 0.0 Took out half of the pinion yoke and a strut rod bolt on the passenger side. I drove back home in a late model Saturday morning to get my tow vehicle and trailer, and by the time I made it back out and loaded the car in the afternoon, the rains came and rained out racing for Saturday. Julesburg_4.jpg
    Sunday morning, we were headed back home.
    Julesburg_5.jpg Oldest brother says breaking her at the track is a "badge of honor".
    Younger brother says, "break, fix.... repeat". OK, got that!!!
    Got her fixed and took her out to a local show today.
    I only hope Jim Dillon approves.....the street version.....not the trailered version. Happy Motoring!!
    Julesburg_6.jpg

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

9. jimdillon

jimdillon

Daddy-O, I not only approve I applaud you. I go to shows and have early Vettes drive by me and I cannot even hear if they have an engine little alone an alleged sports car engine. You run yours which I think is cool and what they should do once in a while.

My avatar car has been a bit of a handful getting it right so it handles better (lack of caster) and hopefully I will get it out on the track next year. If the truth be told, I do not push the car as hard as I could as I know you can break them. I have a 9" in the red car with a custom driveshaft so I don't believe there is weakness there-if there is any weakness it is between my ears as I do not want to damage it unnecessarily. I have run my black 62 more recently but I admittedly do not push it too hard either.

Your car has 58 year old components and with today's sticky launch areas you are almost begging for breakage if you push them. My black car has a 4 speed with a 327 and I have replaced the axles with Moser and the center section with an Eaton posi (3.70 so not a killer gear) and I figure if I really hammer on it at let's say the Meltdown I will break a driveshaft yoke. I constantly check the driveshaft but almost use it as insurance if I get careless on the launch. Long story short I often come out at idle or sometimes in the 2000 range. I have come out at over 3000 and it does well but only when there is no glue on the surface.

A couple of years ago I started a build of another 62 out of parts (and the project has stalled miserably as I need to do things that pays the bills) and my objective was to use an Olds/Pontiac setup (some of which I bought off of Vetrod-Jim) so that I could hammer on it out of the hole. I did hammer on the black car out of the hole a bit more than normal at the pie crust event in June at Byron but that is because there was no track prep for the first 60'. Just wheel hopped anyways so no real common sense there.

I think it is really cool running your car and next time try coming out at idle. Also I will give you the info on the Moser axles if you want. Not true drag racing axles but they are nice "hobby" axles and fit great and are relatively inexpensive.

Glad to see you got it out at the show. These cars do not always cooperate. Yesterday I took my black car out for the Hines Drive cruise and it died in the slow traffic. I believe it was a vapor lock but then the carb started flooding like crazy so had to take the carb apart. They do let you down on occasion but all it does is make me figure out how to make it better and not happen again.

Hope you get it back on the track again even if it just for fun. Kudos to you.

10. vetrod62

vetrod62

Here is how you do it. No mercy, 6500 launch.

11. loudbang

loudbang

Nice BUT not really hammering it NO BANGSHIFTS LOL :rolleyes:

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jim glad to see you posting. Your car is awesome to say the least. I still have a picture of it in the shop to remind me of how they are supposed to come out of the hole.

You are correct that 6500 is the way they should leave but you have some pretty good parts in your car, much better than the stock parts, as you know very well. I have had very little time to concentrate on Vette stuff lately and this week my project 62 that was supposed to carry the Olds/Pontiac stuff you sold me is being pushed out of the working shop.

Making money is one of those distractions that get in the way of having fun with building and running old Vettes on the strip. I will keep trying though and hopefully get back on it sooner rather than later. Cool video of course but anyone that runs these old Vettes on the track get my thumbs up. Thanks for reminding us of how it should be done.

13. noboD

noboD

Vetrod that sounds incredible. Jim, I thought you were working on the Cadillac? Today is Saturday, you should try it. I can do whatever I want as long as the wife doesn't see me.

Bowtie Coupe, enloe and loudbang like this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

I taught you well my son.... ;)

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug I want to get back on the Cadillac but another "must do project" pushed it aside momentarily-I hope. That plus this farm or ranch or whatever one wants to call it takes up more time with upkeep etc in the spring and summer months. Maybe I will get more done in winter. Wish there was a way to clone myself to get things actually done.

16. vetrod62

vetrod62

Hi Jim D, Just trying to get back in the groove. The last 9 months I have been distracted by a bad right leg, almost could not walk any more. It seems that the hip is bone to bone. Had a total hip replacement that had complications. It is just getting well enough to get around. I hope to get to the track this fall. I found a lot more HP and 2000 more RPMs and want to see how it runs.

You are correct, I have worked through many parts to get it run after run without breaking. To you guys with stock parts, as they say on "Street Outlaws"... "Don't do any of the dumb stuff I do" without a lot of prep. Jim

17. vetrod62

vetrod62

LB, that is as fast as it will shift. I would guess the fit of the blocker rings to the cones are not perfect. Something to do in the future. Basically stock m-22. Not like the transmissions back in the 60s. Jim

18. 1961 Olds Fiesta Wagon

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Steve Norton

Steve Norton

Jim. Ended up with the 56 Vette we talked about at the Meltdowns. Have not decided what direction to go yet. Can I get your email to send pics. Steve Norton. [email protected]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I wanna see pics too:)

21. noboD

noboD

Yea, anyhow. '56-7 is the best looking Corvette body ever.

scotty t, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Don't give Jim an exclusive!
    We like pictures too:D

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  23. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

. Looks like a blast to drive. Good Luck with the hip.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. jimdillon

jimdillon

Guys I don't think Steve was giving me an exclusive. We had discussed the car at the Meltdown and I told him good luck with looking at it and ship me a picture or two. I always like it when guys pick up another project. Makes me feel like I am not such a nut myself with all of my junk. The picture is on his ramp truck which is really cool. It is a Hodges hauler bed (if my memory is OK I thought they were in Kentucky) on a stretched one ton Chev/GMC (not sure which). I always wanted one and called them a couple of times but never pulled the trigger. Cool ramp trucks for sure-Steve came to the Meltdown in style IMO.

Will be interesting to see which direction Steve takes it. If I had a vote it may be one of the roadster drag cars of the 67-69 era. I am not a fan of the birdcages they require with the roadsters today if they want to run some impressive numbers so it would require a car that would pass tech with a limited cage/rollbar, if that is possible. Maybe a close to stock 283 or 327 with some warpaint would fill the bill and pass tech-possibly.

Steve's call for sure and if his other 56 is any indication of his vision then I am sure he will hit another out of the park. For those not familiar this is his other 56-Tunnel Rat. IMG_3544.JPG IMG_3546.JPG IMG_3547.JPG IMG_3550.JPG IMG_17502r5.jpg

1947knuck, mkebaird, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  25. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Jim that's the problem that a owner/builder has to consider, my MG looks the way it did when it raced in the 60's but it turned out to be much quicker, so I decided that it was important to race the car the way it looked when raced so I built an appropriate motor to keep it at 11.0s. It's still a blast and the people that knew the car back when enjoy seeing it. I use pump high test gas and there is less wear and tear. In fact I just pulled the spool out and am putting in a new posi unit.

Pat

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pat, people I am sure still like to see your car out there and the times are secondary to most. In trying to recreate an era we have to do so within the confines of the present day rules. No sense in arguing about them but go have some fun.

loudbang, enloe, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  27. Philroy

Philroy

28. noboD

noboD

Hey Jim, we were bustin' your chops not Steve's. I am sure he will do the right thing. Lots of possibilities.

loudbang, enloe and Deuces like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

From Bangkok Dean

hot bkk (2).jpg

From the web

hot1.jpg

30. 1934coupe

1934coupe

LB it's about time you got up! Jim this #11 64ish Corvette seems to me that the body was modified, sectioned, widened or something. All the lines or bulges seem more pronounced than the stock versions. I have seen this car posted earlier and thought that then. Do you have any input as to what I am seeing or am I nuts.

Pat