Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lights or Hidden Lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Aug 26, 2018.

?
  1. Lights

94 vote(s)
    87.9%
  2. Hidden lights

13 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Headlights are for seeing and to be seen. You need to make sure people can see you driving at night.

2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

37 Ford headlights may look very good installed in those fenders! Definitely would not mount them behind the grill!

3. You can't see this ?
    20180819_210851.jpg 20180820_002851.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Put one in the scoop and make motorcycle noises.

5. These grills are ridiculously overpriced, I dont think I want to go cutting it up.
    To answer your other question about in the fender, now to me that is streetrodderish.
    FB_IMG_1535332399519.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  6. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

dude just look at that light pattern! Its utter crap with shadowy bars through it.
    are you willing to risk your life, your passengers life and any other person on the roads life?
    Hate to have to drive like that on the open roads.

The early 50s Buicks had a marker light housing with grill bar/teeth on top or bottom. Added into your front fenders they may work with your grills bars. Add motor cycle headlights or LEDs.

Or just keep them up top.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. I would not cut it up either. Maybe some smaller really bright lights between the bars.

Clik and swade41 like this.
  8. A perspective and a lecture are way two different things, I'm a grown man, even drove truck over 20 years, I think I know the ramifications of the law.
    If I didn't think I could see or be seen I wouldn't even consider it and yes I'm pretty sure the direction I'm going in with the lights but maybe there's another "suggestion" out there. Maybe someone knows about some tiny lights that put out a million candle watts that'll fit between the grill bars or where I have the turn signal/parking lights ???

9. Uh, I have a motorcycle, but I can't post it on here, so I'm good there..hahaha

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

might want to look at interior again with that statement - lots of options for running headlights on/in fenders out there

chryslerfan55 and 5window like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's on the lines I was thinking.

loudbang likes this.
  12. XXL__

XXL__

Thanks for the clarification. As a responsible one of those, maybe keep your lights fully operational and safe, and you can take off the lights to look like a salt racer next time you take it to the salt.

13. Joe H

Joe H

Use a hideaway head light in the fenders, open when on, closed when off. GTO, Vette, Buick, surely something could be made to work better then behind the grill. Low to the ground like they are, you might as well just call them running lights or fog lights, because out on the road, all you will see is just above the road surface, not whats coming at you!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and upspirate like this.
  14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Forget the bright red paint and rib bumper , this design would be your best solution. The hidden headlight look was actually used quite a bit on late 30's early 40's gm rods in the late 80's . Of course so was pastel paint!
    But one I remembered was a 40 Chevy with a blown block and big tires. A street rod? I guess it depends on your perspective. But most would be changing your shorts after riding in it!!! I build cars to suite my taste, no one else's. But I always build safety first . I vote for the smooth look but with lights exposed. Be creative, just not rectangular ! lol Larry

15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Better yet check out the Photo shop thread and see what moose did to your truck with the picture Dick Stevens posted for you. I like it!!!!!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and swade41 like this.
  16. a photo outside a garage vs driving at speed on a highway is a different story.

just please be careful with what YOU decide to put on the road. Hide-a-way headlights work. But function over "cool factor" is king.

Even the Y-Job has hidden headlights but correctly been seen at night was key.

Ah, good luck anyhow.

17. I think I know what I have, it sure ain't no damn street rod.
    Screenshot_20180826-223959_Gallery.jpg

18. ken bogren

ken bogren

Hidden headlights like a 42 DeSoto?

42-desot0.jpg

19. Whoa, no like, it makes the front look way to wide. I originally nixed the headlights from the original location for that very reason, I wanted more fat fender look up front to match the roundness of the top and full roundness of the rear fenders. You know a visually wider/curvier front fender.

20. 5window

5window

Being able to see bright lights from in front of your truck doesn't necessarily correlate to being able to see the road from inside your truck. If you already had decided what you were going to do, why start a thread and ask for advice or opinions? If you do want opinions, why not respect that 95% of those polled don't favor the idea. Your truck, you decide, but don't get mad if folks disagree.

chryslerfan55 and XXL__ like this.
  21. 5window

5window

State of New York Vehicle and Traffic Law: " d) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, equipped with any device such as, but not limited to, a snow plow blade, which blocks or impairs the projection of light from the headlamps of such vehicle, shall be equipped with at least two additional headlamps on the front which headlamps meet all the requirements of this subdivision for headlamps except those provisions of paragraph (b) of this subdivision specifically limiting the height of the beam of any headlamp." All you need is one grumpy police officer.

loudbang and gimpyshotrods like this.
  22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That's called a "distinction without a difference"..........further, you ask for opinions, receive them and reply with a disgruntled attitude. If you know what you like and do not like, why bother to ask. You get useful references to laws that are worthy of consideration and you call it a 'lecture'....perspective, if you had it, would reveal a pattern here.

scotty t, Peanut 1959, XXL__ and 4 others like this.
  23. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I like the smooth look without the frog eyes. Just don't know the best solution. Actually I do like the original type half in/half out of the fender top, similar to the 46-7 Studebaker truck lights.

5window and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

[​IMG]
    Did you just want agreement with what you have chosen, or why would you start a thread and a poll when you aren't going to consider what the vast majority have voted to do? I happen to think this is a good look but we all know opinions are like assholes, we all have them and it is your prerogative to ignore ours.

25. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Is that going to be a big spotlight sticking up threw the hood? :)

clem and 5window like this.
  26. hotcargo

hotcargo

to my way of thinking..............stock lights but moved in towards the centre 1 inch or 1 1/2 inches per side

steve in Oz

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  27. Why are you assuming the direction I'm going in ???

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  29. Oh boy, I'm not disgruntled but I sure can be if you want me too.
    I have a poll about headlight location but instead I do get a lecture on state laws, twice mind you and now you want to be my psychiatrist or English teacher, which one I'm not sure of.
    Some want to call my truck a street rod which again has nothing to do with the poll and another guy wants to imply I have a death trap, "
    yanks can drive some real road kill death traps"
    In NY state we have to get inspections once a year, I have 6 licensed vehicles plus a car trailer all on the road getting inspected. I think I know how it goes more so than a person that doesn't even live in the state !
    Again it's a simple poll about headlight location, nothing more nothing less. If you read my posts I even said that maybe someone knows of a small light to hide that will provide ample light I'm all ears.
    But I'm certainly not going to cut my grill, put the stock lights on or cut my fenders up to put in lights I don't want just because someone here likes it.
    I've owned this truck for over 25 years and almost all of those years I've thought about these headlights. I've ran through most any location and style in my head or during mockup in that time. I narrowed it down to 2 possibilities which I provided a poll for, evidently I must not understand the poll process or something.

30. This was a strong possibility but I had them in even further than that. What I did was measured the width of the rear fenders and brought that measurement to the front. I then duct taped the stock lights inboard so the front fender from outside lip to headlight equaled the width of the rear. A problem I ran into was the headlight pod ran into the hood sides before I could get that equal width look.
    I might even have a photo of that still.