Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty chrome bumper, is there anything I can do? update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Squablow

Squablow

With rust that brown, I don't think you're going to do any harm using some kind of scrubby pad, copper is better but even a really well lubed SOS pad, at this point, isn't going to harm it. Get the big flaky shit off and then polish them really good with some buffing compound, I really like Wizards Turbo Cut, and then a wax.

That bumper might not be flawless in the end, but that looks like it'll polish up really well with some care. If you've got tiny pits with no plating left at all, touch them up with some bright silver paint, it'll help blend in the specks and hopefully keep rust stains off of the shiny part longer than just leaving it.

2. Squablow

Squablow

If you use straight polish on it from the get-go, you risk scrubbing old, loose rust and debris against the good part of the chrome and that's worse, you're going to need to use something aggressive first to get the bad, looser shit off so it doesn't get stuck to your polish rag and rubbed against the chrome. That stuff will polish off, though.

3. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I've used a SOS pad to remove light surface rust.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'd slam a couple of Mountain Dews, and get after that with a bucket of water and a couple of SOS pads. When you're happy with that, get the buffer out and hit it with this:
    [​IMG]
    Never gonna be show quality, but you knew that. Cruise-In, driver quality, hell yes! Just takes a little time and elbow grease. (You knew that too :D).
    Show us the results, what ever plan of attack you use.

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I've had excellent results with glass bead blasting rusty chrome. It removes the rust but doesn't harm the chrome at all. Then a light rub with aluminum foil and coke. Then wax. Works well.
    SPark

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Purchase a bag of citric acid online cheap. Mix a couple cups in with some water in a vessel big enough to soak that thing for a day or 2. Pull it out rinse it off and all that rust will be gone. Citric acid is mild but effective, also cheap and easy.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. I've had really good results by buffing with a loose cotton buff and white rouge compound. Messy, but does a pretty good job of cleaning out the smaller pits, removing minor marring/scratches, and smooths out any 'blisters' in the chrome. I've done some really nasty motorcycle exhaust systems this way (rusty, blued, baked-on crap), and while they didn't look new, they looked a hell of a lot better. This won't fix places where the plating is missing, but will bring back what there is to near-new luster without leaving the scratches you get from metal wool or rubbing with aluminum. The only caution I'll give is don't get too heavy-handed as it is possible to buff through to the nickel if you get carried away.

8. Don't use steel wool, steel rusts right? Why would you embed more steel in it to rust. Also steel wool will further scratch what chrome is left.
    I use use brass wool, it seems expensive and hard to get. But you can get some of it fine grit on eBay for 20.00 bucks.
    Use that with the turtle wax chrome cleaner.
    That is if there is chrome left under it.

If there is no chrome clean the same way then use a Gibbs type oil to keep it brushed metal looking for a while.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  9. I have had really good success with DuPont rubbing compound on the rust that is more a scum than bubbled, damaged, peeling, etc. Polished it to near perfect like. Hit it with Turtle wax and almost as good as new.

10. There is no doubt you guys have given me a lot of different things to try. HRP

chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  11. A Boner

A Boner

SOS pad at first.....then dry......then Gibbs oil to preserve. Repete Gibbs oil a couple of days later and check color of rag.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. Please post pics when your are done, then some in about 6 months, so we can see if it lasts.

It helps then next guy asking the same question.
    One other thing you call always throw some wax over it once cleaned..

13. Frank32

Frank32

I use this from home depot and steel wool.

Attached Files:

14. Has anyone tried CLR? HRP

chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  15. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Another vote for OOOO steel wool. I’ve used it with great success. Use it with a good wax and the bumper will come out as good as it can be made short of rechroming.

16. There is also the "tin foil and WD40" method that works well... lots of elbow grease required, but it works :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1864.JPG IMG_1865.JPG Clem.. sorry to take so long. Front edge and top of this windwing frame were done with vinyl 3 years ago and need to be done again. This is not chrome tape. It's vinyl and done with water just like sides of trucks or race car numbers. It's a little dull from wiping off. I need to do it again. Use 45* angles at meeting points to look the best. There are rust pits under; the rear side window's front edge has it too.

18. Is that old chrome or stainless under the vinyl? So was it cleaned/polished first, then washed (soapy water to remove residue, then vinyl on top?

It looks good. A nice way to keep it looking good.

Any update on those bumpers? @HOTRODPRIMER

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. A Boner

A Boner

Where did you buy the new bumper?

HOTRODPRIMER and stanlow69 like this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

Works fantastic on bare metal.....don't know how it would react on the chrome though.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. 'Mo

'Mo

X2!
    Get it by the gallon at the grocery store, make a vat, and soak overnight.
    Rinse with baking soda/water to neutralize. You'll be amazed.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. I have gathered up several of the materials suggested and plan on trying to clean the bumpers up this weekend, I'll get back with the results. HRP

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

It may be too far gone now since the time you first ask about it 3 months ago:D
    ......just joking, hope all goes well;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. there used to be a product by turtle wax for cleaning chrome- worked really good

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. jazz1

jazz1

I removed rust with Mothers and used wax to seal it on OT car, until affordable aftermarket bumpers were availAble

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. I bought a 47 caddy with a rusty grill. Used plain old SOS pads and elbow grease. Waxed it afterward. Left some pits but shined up nicely.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. I took these photos this morning. HRP

294.JPG

295.JPG

I got a lot of work ahead of me. :rolleyes:

298.JPG

The rear bumper looks pretty food

296.JPG

297.JPG

28. A Boner

A Boner

Start with the passenger side of the front bumper. Use a SOS pad and rinse with water. Then post a pic.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. I tried rags soaked in CLR and left it on for a few hours while I worked on the drivers side door latch and when I removed them I couldn't see where it did anything , although it is cleaner.:D

The next thing I will try is the SOS soap pads. HRP

poprivit likes this.
  30. I've had really good luck with Brite Boy, it takes the stain away but the pits are still there. But there has to still be some chrome underneath.
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.