Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Dean Jeffries Custom Carrera in Monterey this August

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Karrera, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Hyfire

Hyfire

It went to a good guy. He plans on keeping it Kustom, which is the way it should be.

2. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

loudbang likes this.
  3. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

Phew! Done!
    You've got guts, Jack!
    Let's hope it stays the way Dean did it and in the public view, not hidden away.
    Congratulations....on letting go.
    Well done! Screenshot_2018-08-25-07-42-57-1.jpeg

Sent from the red phone

loudbang and Jimmy B like this.
  4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

$436,750...not sure if that included buyer’s premium.

5. Hyfire

Hyfire

Can’t wait to hear how it went down, Jack. Talk about a car with amazing history.

6. metalman

metalman

Well done? Sounds like it fell short of the estimated value by quite a bit.

7. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

"Well done" on letting go!
    The bidders spoke. Twice!
    Mark

Sent from the red phone

8. 392

I'm probably going to take heat but I like it and I don't, I know there is history behind it but the frontend to me looks goofy. Maybe just me.

9. kursplat

kursplat

love that car, glad it's going to a good home...
    i kind of thought everyone around here knew not to pick on the old porsche threads...

Attached Files:

10. Karrera

Karrera

I have to admit I was a little disappointed - I really think that Dean's Porsche is worth a lot more than what I sold it for. I honestly thought it would sell for closer to $600K - especially given its history and all of the work I put into it.
    But - I had to do what is best for the car and the new buyer is based in Los Angeles and is a Dean Jeffries fan so the Carrera will absolutely be preserved and has gone back home to where it was "born." I would expect the new owner will be showing the car regularly around California - I know he mentioned a Porsche Club of America event at the Petersen in September that he wants to attend. In addition the Carrera has been invited to attend the Rennsport Reunion at Laguna Seca from September 27-30th. It has been invited to be displayed at the Porsche Pavilion in the Paddock area. I hope that someday it will be on display at the Petersen Museum so that it can be shared with all of Dean's fans in Los Angeles. I am glad that the new owner is a fan of the car and the man who built it so except for a few less dollars than I'd hoped for it worked out OK.

I knew I should have gotten Dean to tell me if Steve McQueen ever took the Porsche for a spin up Mulholland Drive... it's just up the hill from his old shop and we all know Steve was a big fan of Porsches. They were friends so its a pretty sure bet that Steve would have asked to get behind the wheel at some point. Alain De Cadenet was telling me a story about how Steve was visiting his shop in England and asked to borrow his old Triumph motorcycle for a spin and disappeared with it for the rest of the afternoon and evening. When Alain came in the next morning the bike was back with a note on the seat saying "Thanks for the loan of the bike - Steve" and friends of his said they saw Steve and the bike more than 25 miles away that afternoon. If I'd thought ahead and gotten Dean to confirm that Steve McQueen drove his car I might have gotten another $1,000 for it....

11. My opinion is Dean has always been underappreciated (except at Indy). True, his Mantaray won Oakland, but overall he just didn't receive the recognition he deserved. When it came to hotrodding, he and MT stood in rare company. Dean-Jeffries-Ford-GT.jpg

kidcampbell71, stanlow69 and Malcolm like this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I agree, Dean was always underrated. He and I had an interesting chat one year, he walked up to my '52 Porsche Cabrio and said he'd never seen a split-windshield Porsche. (with curved glass, yet)
    Mine was the 6th of 35 made, and only 3 had the later style rear wheel wells.
    Mine was an old Pan-American race survivor, ran with skirts covering all 4 wheels!
    "Lovely" ex wife forced its sale...Good news, got rid of her just 7 months after!

SquintBoy, loudbang, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  13. And who else would chop up an original Ford GT40 roadster and lengthen it because it "looked better"? :eek: THAT'S a hotrodder, folks.

dean jeffries15.jpg

Restored to its original configuration after he passed.

dean jeffries17.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  14. Karrera

Karrera

Which was such a shame because every time I visited Dean in his shop he was tinkering on that GT-40, making some part for it and just happy to be playing with his "toy". He was making some inner fender liners for the GT-40 the last time I visited him because he was tired of rocks thrown up by the rear tires chipping the paint from the inside out because the rear body shell was so thin. That 4-cam Ford Indy engine was a very cool piece and he had a spare one on an engine stand in the corner. They were given to him by his friend A. J. Foyt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Karrera, thank you so much for posting those pictures.

By chance when I was visiting Foyt's old shop on Toledo in Houston, I stood by and watched Howard Gilbert assembling one of those 4 cammers.

Is the Indy car in one of your pictures a Foyt Parnelli?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  16. Karrera

Karrera

I think it is - Dean said AJ gave it to him and its got Foyt's famous #14 on it.

bonesy, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  17. Hyfire

Hyfire

Looks like you got a lot more than cash out of that car Karrera.

Priceless.

18. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I absolutely love this! It’s great that this wonderful car has found a great home and will be preserved for others to enjoy. Thank you for taking the time to share your story.

I’ll never even remotely come close to owning a complete one but I will one day have an engine out of one. I’m on the hunt even if I have to buy it one nut/bolt at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Mike

Mike

The headlight / driving light placement and treatment on this machine have always put me off a bit. I dig everything else about the car.

20. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

When I last visited him I was fascinated with the GT and the manta ray. We bs’ed a while he gave me his sons’ business card, a local politician, tried to reach him when his dad passed, no luck.

21. mkebaird

mkebaird

What a timeless beauty! Could have been built this year!

22. Karrera

Karrera

Malcolm, Terry Buffum, sdluck and 6 others like this.
  23. sdluck

sdluck

Great story,thanks for sharing.