Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty chrome bumper, is there anything I can do? update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 24, 2018.

1. To clean them up and make them look a little more presentable short of having them re-chromed?

The front bumper & turn signal housings on the coupe are showing their age and looking pretty bad and replating is out of the question for now.

Anyone have suggestions on how to clean the chrome or at least remove some of the rust and improve the looks? HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Oxalic acid. spray it on, scrub wash off thouroghly. Years ago I worked for a detailer and it would take bumpers with rust showing all over and make them look way better. It's not going to take out pits and the like but the red will be gone.

grapeboy, jazz1, wvenfield and 3 others like this.
  3. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I have had good luck with White scotch brite and clr, then wax the snot outa it.

jazz1, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. 0000 steel wool with water and Ajax worked for me
    Then some atf and steel wool
    And then it looks like cotton batton soaked in something but it’s called NEVER DULL works great

5. X2 I have used the 0000 steel wool on lots of chrome and if you don't actually scrub it, but gently polish with it, it works well. Some people hear the word steel wool and scream that it will scratch the finish but the 0000 is not the course stuff, I have even used it on cleaning plastics.

Please....don't paint the bumpers! Looks awful.

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In case those don't work,,Also there is now some stratchy chrome tape that if put on right,a smooth clean bumper,looks like new chrome,last about 2 years if kept out of sun at lest some of the time. Sign shops have it. Rechroming the bumper maybe good if ya find a place that's low enough $

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  7. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

8. I take Ospho and pour a little in a dish, cut out some aluminum foil about a 3" x 3" square and wad it up in ball. Dip the foil in the ospho and scrub the offending chrome. The foil knocks the rust down and the Ospho converts it. Then seal it with wax.

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I always use soap SOS pads and water but Ive heard people say oh that will scratch the chrome but Ive never really noticed any significant scratches on the bumpers, wheels, bezels etc Ive cleaned,They have always looked a lot better but then most of the stuff Ive cleaned wasnt bordering perfection either.
    Actually thats the first thing I wanted to mention when I saw this car in another thread, SOS pads and water would knock that junk off there quick

scotty t, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As kids we used Coke and aluminum foil

11. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

Do they make a Chrome Wrap like wrap they use on cars?

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Citric Acid, food grade mixed with water. 15 minutes in the tank. Scan0488.jpg Scan0491.jpg

13. upspirate

upspirate

I was going to say if the other methods don't satisfy you , maybe those wrap places will have something that will be better until you decide to get it re-chromed

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep.. Have it chrome wrapped I you want it to look better. Chrome vinyl numbers on race cars look good. But I'd really have it smooth as it will show ripples but not pits. I bought a small roll and did some wind wings. After a couple of years the need to be done again. Still look great but don't have the "mirror" look anymore.

15. clem

clem

HRP,
    Let’s see the end results please.
    Thanks

16. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

My normal goto for rust these days is electrolysis bath but not sure how that would go with chrome plating and the fact the bumper is so large it would rule it out anyways.

Have used store brought chrome scrubs but I find Aluminum foil and coke works just as well. soak the smaller parts over night in a coke bath(contains acid) then scrub with foil.

17. cretin

cretin

My old man read about using window cleaner and aluminum foil. He used it on a chrome sbc water pump we had lying around and he was pretty impressed with the result.
    I must admit, it worked well. Well enough to get bolted onto the engine in the '54.

IMG_7409.JPG

18. My Ford bumpers were not as bad as yours, I used Noxon polish and steel wool and it got all the rust off. I need to go over them again and wax them after. The bumpers are decent driver quality.

19. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

20. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fold up some aluminum foil about 8 plies thick. As you are rubbing the bumper, pour on a can of Coke at the same time. Used this a lot. Wax after words. Would last about 2-3 weeks.

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Is Dallas Plating in Dallas GA still in business? Not really that far from you, and they may have an exchange bumper.

22. moparjimd60

moparjimd60

Might give hart plating in Carrollton ga they do great work and are very reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Having them plated is just not in the budget at this time, I just want to improve the looks and anything I can do myself I can use that toward the metal work. HRP

chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  24. Nevr-Dull is my go to!

25. I've got a can of that around here somewhere now all I have to do is find it, we used it on a antique brass bed and it sure turned out nice.

It never occurred to me to try it on chrome. HRP

chryslerfan55, 3W JOHN and bowie like this.
  26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I use copper scrubbing pads and Pledge. Steel wool scratches, you can see the fine scratches if you look close. This may be a minor point if the chrome is already scratched to hell. But, I still use the scrubbing pads. 3 for a $1 buck at the dollar store.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

try white vinegar, works good and is user friendly!

28. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had good luck with Vandenplas’s suggestion. However, I usually go with WD40 instead of atf. I have found the current version of Never Dull seems to be missing something; so that old can of it you have ; is probably still the good stuff.