Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC squeaking motor question? help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ozzies 57, Aug 24, 2018.

1. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

SBC 350 motor. went on one of those super slow miserable cruises at hot august nights in Reno, 1 MPH for 1.5 hours. no overheating made it great. then when I got back home I could hear what sounded like a water pump squeak... however I wasn't leaking any fluid and if I hit the accelerator enough it disappears.
    I took both belts off and started the car. still has the squeak. now I am a little more worried. it can't be the alt. or A/C, it isn't the belts, and it can't be the water pump. so who has EXPERIENCE in something like this??? what is the most likely culprit?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. It is a mouse engine.

Happydaze, pat59, moparjimd60 and 2 others like this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Look in the valve covers and see if it's wet.

302GMC likes this.
  4. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

and if it is not, is it a oil pump issue?

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Does it have roller lifters?

Johnny Gee and lumpy 63 like this.
  6. 24riverview

24riverview

Balancer moving around on the rubber?

7. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

Not good news-had the same "squeak'-blown head gasket between middle two cylinders!mine actually torched a trough in the block,never blew water out or got into the water jacket

8. tinkirk

tinkirk

Does it go away when bringing the rpm's up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check oil Pressure & check valve clearance.

10. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I rebuilt a 292 Chevy inline that developed a strange squeak. I tracked it down to where I could make it go away by loosening the front rocker arm. More pressure equaled more high pitched squeaking. The guy I was helping decided to leave the front rocker arm at less than optimal adjustment so I never got to the actual problem. Strangest squeak I ever found.

slowmotion, pat59 and Moriarity like this.
  12. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

Cam bearing?

13. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

If you don't have one already. Buy or borrow a stethoscope find out Exactly were the squeak is coming from.

blowby likes this.
  14. Worn rocker arm and pivot ball will set up a squeak sometimes, usually if they've been oil-starved. Suppose a push-rod end could do the same thing at the rocker arm socket too.

Maybe loosen or remove the fuel pump, start it for a few seconds, and see if that changes anything. Also check the engine mounts and give 'em a spray with some silicone lube and see if it quiets down. If it's an automatic check that the convertor bolts are tight, though if they're loose they usually make a tick or knock noise.

15. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

O.k thinking ill go valve covers off first and look for something in there. It's a 56 chevy so it only has an oil dummy light. So I will run a cheaper gauge to the block and see about oil pressure. I'm going to assume the head gasket or block isnt blown. Runs great and I wouldn't say it is overly loud. Just obnoxious to me. Then I'll check back in.

firstinsteele likes this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe a vacuum leak?

17. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a bad cam bearing squeal, but it didn't go away at higher rpm. First thing I'd do is check under the valve covers.

18. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Try disconnecting the PCV and see if it goes away.

19. flathead4d

flathead4d

Had a squeak on a 70's Chevy. Turned out to be a a push rod not getting any oil at the rocker.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Back in the mid 70's I built a 355 small block and a brand new Chevy blue stripe pushrod had one end ball that didn't get drilled all the way through, burned it up along with a rocker arm.

21. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

so wait for it. I tried a couple things today and got frustrated, and I hit the headers with the palm of my hand while using a few choice words as I pushed myself up out of that stooped over stance we all know so well. an there it was the squeak! so I hit them again, the squeak, went to the other side and hit the valve covers and....wait for it, the squeak. so that means it isn't mechanical and I have narrowed it down to 90% sure it must be motor mounts, the engine has a nice little lopping movement to it when idling, not much but its there, obviously it smooths out on acceleration and 2 hour cruise of almost always idling must have either cracked the rubber on one, or else the main bolt is loose, either way I am feeling pretty confident this might be a fairly inexpensive fix. (fingers crossed).
    thanks all for all the info.

swade41 likes this.
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I bet that kept you up nights wondering what was wrong all this time. Myself, I always sleep well after the bed springs go silent. :)