Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'm thinking ahead, what's a good alternitive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 23, 2018.

1. I'm not to crazy about the early mustang T handle automatic shiftier in the '50 coupe and thought I would ask what you guys have used .HRP

[​IMG]

USMercUte, 3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Fordors

Fordors

The Mustang sure looks better than the Lokar style shifter some use in a post ‘48 car. My personal preference would be one that has the appearance of a stick trans shifter, but not to be a poser, I just like that look.

3. I've been gathering parts for a '50 Ford that I haven't yet found. The shifter I've put away for this project is a Hurst / Indy automatic shifter. I have one in my 41 Ford truck and always liked how it worked and felt.

3W JOHN, deadbeat and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. 1965 GTO auto shifter. Compact. White knob.

5. Stock looking column shifter.

6. I have to second that. There isn't ANY store-bought automatic floor shifter that looks right in a '49-early 60s car with a bench seat IMO. Bucket seats and a console, maybe... And a fake 'manual' looking shifter will look, well, fake....

The upside to those shifters is they're so short and close to the floor that most people don't notice them...

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

9. If you've got your heart set on a floor shifter, look at the one Squirrel built for his AWB Chevy 2. Period correct!

10. dan31

dan31

For a cruiser/ custom i've seen the Lokar shifters with a bend look ok with a bench seat . You believe can get an adaptor that allows you to change the knob while retaining the safety button feature. I think a hot rod with a bench seat and auto on the floor may be a little harder to pull off but not impossible.

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I'm using a b&m z gate on my 56 but do not have the plastic covers on it, very utilitarian looking but for yours, It may be worth doing a genie shifter or making your own out of that mustang, I can see about 18" to 24" double s bends looking real classy in there honestly. Plus no button if you did that, just a shifter gate. But that's my personal take everyone will have their own opinions on shifters. If you did cut the mustang one off low and build up from it you could also make something super cool and would be one off, use some 1/2" solid square stock twisted like for handrails on the house, only at the bottom and then roll the corners out when you get up to the top to make it round and then taper to thread into a cool shifter knob. The possibilities are endless man. Whatever change you make will be an upgrade so don't stress too hard.

Attached Files:

12. catdad49

catdad49

Danny, with a column shift, the missus can sit closer. Just sayin'!

13. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Column would be my choice

14. Terrible80

Terrible80

Column is cool, floor shift with an automatic is just the easy way out.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN, 49ratfink and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You already got a hole in the floor, switch it over to a 4 speed, just had to be a smart ass, couldn't help myself:D

I have to go with the popular opinion, I like the column idea the best.:cool:

NoSurf, nickk, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  16. 62rebel

62rebel

Column. Temple's down in Lexington has to have a couple of automatic shoeboxes you can score the column from.

17. As most of you know I bought this car as a project and having been working on it the past several weeks I can say who ever installed the engine,transmission and rear axle did a good job but some of their other work fell short of the mark, like the short mustang shiftier,I guess it was just easy.

I like the idea of a column shift also but refuse to use the aftermarket columns, no tilt or telescopic street rod stuff for me,I want to keep it simple.

This isn't something I have to do right now but I want to start looking for a good replacement column,or at least the parts to convert my existing column back to a automatic or a stick, I adapted my old 40 Ford sedan from a stick shift to a automatic, it was actually pretty straight forward. HRP

18. Use the stock manual 3 spd tube and shifter and adapt it to the auto trans. Some holders/bushings and a plate/arm at the end for the linkage.

19. 62rebel

62rebel

You could probably use the auto column from any Ford up through 54 without too much hassle. Can't say if anything from '56 and newer would work.

20. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Isn't using the Mword banned here? :D

21. If you're looking for a OEM Ford column, look for a '58 through about '62 Cruisomatic unit. Up until those, all Ford automatics only had two detents on the shifter for forward gears (Lo-Drive). The Cruisomatic has the three detents needed for the later trans (Lo-D1-D2).

Some monkey-motion will be needed if keeping the original steering wheel, but you will gain a built-in turn signal switch.

22. I believe you will find that the automobile itself is considered off topic as is it's later incarnations front suspension but engines,transmissions,seats and rear axles have been installed in many hot rods & customs since the day the started entering the junk yards.HRP

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. I am totally a novice when it comes to the shoebox Fords, are the steering boxes part of the steering column like the '54 Fords? HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  24. My 47 Hudson used the stock shifter from its 3-speed days on the column and simple linkage was built to accommodate the automatic. There was no shift position indicator so you had to feel/count the detent clicks to know what gear it was in. It wasn't perfect as you couldn't pull it all the way into low but it looked right and functioned right in drive or 2nd. All that said to say, I'm with the guys that say put it on the column.

25. Yep.... Ford didn't fully ditch that design until the mid '60s...

'58 did mark the year that Ford finally removed the horn wire going down through the steering shaft and moved the horn contact to the turn switch. If you retain the stock steering box, you'll have the option of going either way.

26. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

or you could put a T5 in it

loudbang, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I was busting your balls HRP. "It's all good" as the kids say.

28. As cool as that would be I prefer to keep this one simple,besides I have a 5 speed in the wagon. HRP

29. Yeah, I know. HRP