Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:eek::mad::confused:

Deuces likes this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know, I know. I may reverse and switch gears (pun intended)

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. 73RR

73RR

There are a couple of us making adapters for the TorqueFlight and then others using gm stuff.

When you shop prices be sure to ask what is included so you can balance the costs.

4. Yes, there is a Mopar overdrive auto that bolts up just like the early Torque flight with an adapter. Wish I had my notes on hand but I believe the application was 89- 92 318 2wheel drive full size Truck.
    The Wizzard

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, I dropped off the covers and pan to get them tanked and the machineinst said he has never seen such pristine covers
    upload_2018-8-22_10-41-15.png
    They will look better chromed, I should have them back from the plater in a couple of days since they are a bit slow right now.
    Why I am actually posting today is that I also took the block down to him to check the roundness of those holes. Well they aint. He is going to do a rough bore at .30 and see if they clean up, he believes they will. So now I have to order some slugs. You Hemi guys tell me, compression? 9.5:1? I will call Hot heads and see what they have in stock once I know for sure the bore.

Also dropping off my mains and rods tomorrow, time to get this little hemi back in one piece. Your opinions are welcome. If I could make 330 HP I would be pleased with a single 4 BBL. It was 230 stock with a 2 BBL, 250 with a 4 BBL. I have a reground cam that came with the motor, I will take it to the machinist in the am as well so we can try to figure out what it is.

6. Your using a Machinist that can't tell you what comp ratio to build. Are you in the wrong hands? I know who I'd be using and he is Dang close to you.
    The Wizzard

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I called Hot Heads and he said it would make one HP per CI at 10:1 ratio pistons and a decent regrind cam. An extra $500 over the stock slugs to have Ross make them to fit!. I ordered a harmonic balancer and flex plate while I had him on the horn.

I just dropped the block off at Archie's because he is down the street and did some cheap tanking of those tins for me. In his defense, I didn't ask him about jumping the ratio up, I thought about that on my way in to work. :cool: Who you thinking of?

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. Your in the Best place you can be. Archie is a personal friend and has done lot's of work for me. I'm batting 100% to date. The Hemi design will let you run higher ratio without issues. Don't short change yourself. What I've learned with Archie is to just tell him how you plan to use the Motor and what you want it to do then get out of his way. Him and Dennis are the A Team. They have made lot's of H.P. for myself and many Customers over the years. Nothing but High Regards for both of them.
    The Wizzard

9. :DThose old hemi engines do real well with just 8to9:1 compression and a blower too:D

On a side note here about out of round holes.
    I've been pondering this and seeking a logical and believable answer to this conundrum.
    I've asked every engine rebuilder I've had a chance to ask and I've asked it before here.

Here goes again:
    On a new bore and hone, machinists will use a torque plate to simulate block distortions and then hone the cylinders true round removing any distortion in the bore caused by the head bolt torque. Obviously that makes perfect sense and perfectly.
    But

When ever they check a used block they DO NOT use a torque plate and every block they ever check has out of round cylinders. Duhhhh because the head bolt torque they needed to add in to make them round is not there. If they were to check the brand new work on the block honed with a torque plate after removing the torque plate the bore would be out of round if the torque plate were doing anything.

To me, this is much like the window glazer giving out free BB guns to kids in the neighborhood.

10. Like you, I have had that conversation in 2 different machine shops. The best answer I ever got was that it depended on how out of round before it was a good reason to bore along with how much tapper top to bottom. Less than .002 was a non issue I was told. So then I followed up with, you know back when I was actually doing machine work myself no one had ever heard of a Torque Plate. How did those motors seat rings and run another 100K miles? One answer was "just luck I guess" second answer was "better rings in those days". Makes me wonder just how important a Torque Plate actually is.
    The Wizzard

11. My other question would be, do all the new blocks on the assembly line get a Torque Plate bolted on for first bore?
    The Wizzard

12. No,
    The block gets honed round.
    The head get bolted on and the pistons and rings wear the distorted areas of the block away.
    Then a machinist measures the block and finds out of round cylinders .
    See where this goes??

And of course by the logic -
    A full blue printed and torque plate honed block should be out of round without heads or torque plate.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Here is a good read from Wiseco pistons.

http://blog.wiseco.com/piston-to-wall-clearance-myths-mysteries-and-misconceptions-explained

14. I read a quote about HEMI's
    "When the zippers come down and the tape measure comes out the HEMI IS ALWAYS BIGGER"

15. I posted that a few years ago. They should put that on a t shirt.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Another T-shirt.
    If you got a hemi you you don't have to stuff your socks down the front of your pants!

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless your william Shatner. The enterprise didn't have a hemi obviously

18. 392

Nothing like a Hemi

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  19. Hombre

Hombre

As to intakes. I installed a 330 Desoto in a 1949 Ford F1, I could not find a tall deck 4 barrel manifold anywhere. I did find a 4 barrel manifold off of a S22 Desoto 291 low deck engine. Was a very simple thing to make spacers for that manifold to fit it to my tall deck engine, I did it in one day with a die grinder and some aluminum plate, so you can use the low deck manifold on the tall deck motors. Just takes a little work. This Desoto engine was also the only Desoto I have ever seen that had adjustable rocker arm bumps on the valve covers. It didn't have the adjustable rockers though just the bumps. zzaszzx1 (Medium).jpg 1949 Ford F1 016 (Medium).jpg Hemi Swap 025 (Small).jpg

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Creative. What headers are those?

Hombre, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After being out of town on a golf trip (7 rounds in 5 days) I returned to a phone call from the machinist informing me that it took .40 to clean up the cylinders. More to do with the rather rough ridge reaming (say that 5 times fast) than round holes. I'll drop by his place in the morning to get the low down and the estimate for the labor and new slugs.

I also returned to a voice mail from the chrome shop telling me my valve covers were ready. One week turn time for a coat of the shiny stuff.
    upload_2018-8-30_17-25-54.png
    I also plated the very nice wire covers that I got from a fellow HAMBer, it takes a community they say.
    The valley pan didn't really need the shiny treatment but Troy saw it in the truck and said he'd throw it in.
    upload_2018-8-30_17-28-23.png
    Now to make it run as good as it will look. :cool:

22. Hombre

Hombre

Those are my own built headers, then sent them to jet Hot for the coating.

23. Hombre

Hombre

Your chrome guy did a very nice job on those shiny parts and quick too.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He never ceases to amaze me.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. You've said Troy at the chrome shop. I've delt with a Tony if it's the same shop off St.Johns. I know a while back he had a bad M.C. wreck. Did Tony end up selling out?
    The Wizzard

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, he didn't sell it. Troy is "Chrome Tony's" son. Tony is still around the shop, I said hi to him last night when I was there. He got pretty messed up in the bike accident, lost a lot of short term memory. Troy is the man you want to get to know.

Outback, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stopped by Somer's and we have our game plan. .40 over bore, 10:1 pistons, chevy pins to eliminate the bushings with minimal machine work to fit them, zero deck the block, index the cam, balance everything, polish the crank that I dropped off this morning and he is going to slide a couple of valves out the heads to check the machine work that was done prior to my acquiring the hemi.

We may have the cam re-ground, he is still researching what we have. It was a re-grind, new in the box and the only marking was RV2. That's about as useful as "1/4 race". :D

Outback, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. All sounds good. I bet Archie will be talking to Kenny at O.C.G. He's been in the mix on every motor I've had done for myself for as long as I can remember.
    The Wizzard

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a few road bumps in my oil pan. I pounded them out with a 1/4 socket extension and a hammer. I metal finished it, primered it and finished it with paint from Eastwood. Catalyzed ceramic engine paint. Wear a respirator.
    upload_2018-9-22_17-39-50.png
    This is the pan
    upload_2018-9-22_17-40-32.png
    The block will be the same
    upload_2018-9-22_17-41-14.png
    This is good rattle can