Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably got some help from the guys who faked the moon landing!

2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Jim,
    I've been thinking some of those same things. Maybe a picture of you by the car in it's present state holding today's newspaper. Kinda like kidnappers do.

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahha, that's a good idea! What all of you suspicious guys are missing is that Jim's days obviously have 48 hours. So he's actually only working part time....

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I'm retired, so I have all day...I've been getting up by 6 am, and going to bed at midnight. And taking several breaks during the day.

5. 1934coupe

1934coupe

And what do you do in your spare time! C'mon back to work.

Pat

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Man, working in the heat takes a heavy physical toll. I guess you're used to it, but dang, that's impressive.

7. squirrel

squirrel

My shop is usually between 75 and 80 degrees in the summertime, it's not bad. Well insulated, and I have a swamp cooler in the window.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Swamp coolers work great in Jim's part of the country, where the humidity is quite low compared
    to let's say GA where if we can get the Summer humidity below 90% we're doing great, LOL. I've got a great big old 5 ton "package unit" AC on 3 ph, so it's not tpo bad if I keep it set around 82* just to try and get the humidity out.

chryslerfan55 and Floater03 like this.
  9. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The rear wheel openings look entirely too refined. It just feels wrong for a Squirrel car. Please do something quirky that we can bash on? All this speed and finesse is making my head spin:D

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

BTW... 6am to midnight is my current schedule. I guess this work thing is my bottleneck.

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just saw this on the Bakersfield. CA Craigslist More photos in the ad.
    https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/nostalgia-drag-altered/6676904300.html
    Nostalgia Drag - Altered Wheelbase Funny Car - $28500 (Virginia)
    1966 Barracuda AWB (Altered wheelbase) Nostalgia Drag race car, "Mad Hatter" is in need of a new home.
    This style car is where the "Funny" in Funny Car came from.

Currently has a fresh 468 Chevrolet big block, Blown with Enderle injected on alcohol.
    Fresh Power Glide with brake.
    12-Bolt Chevy rear with 4:56 pro-gear, 40-spline Moser alloy axles, and 9-inch Ford housing ends.
    4" drop Straight Axle with hair pins and transverse spring front suspension.

This car is freshly built professionally and is built safe, while still keeping the vintage drag design.
    Included are a few in progress construction pics. As you can see, it's all steel and well built.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. phat rat

phat rat

I like Squirrels better

13. squirrel

squirrel

me too, that's why I didn't buy that one.

14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

To use a text term, IMHO there is no comparison !

Pat

loudbang and Surfcityrocker like this.
  15. They did not lengthen the front fenders and that looks strange. More like an AWB.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. phat rat

phat rat

You think it might be because it is an AWB

chryslerfan55, OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

my replacement crankshaft showed up yesterday, and it seems to be the right one. So I'm back at work on the engine, making things fit. I have the crank in the block, and the hub on, so I can get the blower drive finalized, hopefully. Oddly, the water pump pulley aligns with the crank pulley using a 1" spacer I already had. And the upper blower pulley seems to be real close to lining up (there's 1/2" extra width on the pulleys, so it's not critical that it be perfectly aligned). I put a piston in a hole, and the deck height looks right. The bearings feel right, although I still need to check oil clearance. And I think the oil pan and pickup and windage tray will all work, I had to do a little massaging to get them to all work together.

Still so many things to check, I should have heads back in the next day or two, although the valve job won't be completely finished yet. I have to check valve to piston clearance, and get the valvetrain assembled enough to figure out the pushrod length, and hopefully get pushrods made in time.

Lots more work to do, I have to be on the road in two weeks, and there's a holiday weekend coming up, to speed things along :)

mockup14.jpg

18. vitamindart

vitamindart

I agree as well, Squirrel's is a lot better

loudbang likes this.
  19. Thanks, I guess I should have read the description before posting.

20. noboD

noboD

I'm thinkin' we will have video with sound of the engine by Sunday night. Remember the time lapsed photography and mirrors.

21. Manton offers adjustable push rods to get the correct length. They have a jam nut to lock the adjuster in place. They get sent in and they make pushrods to match. The kit is around 35 dollars. They work great.

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I made my own. I am cheap and so were they.

SR100, egads, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

I have the Manton checking pushrods.. I'm a little confused about where to set the adjuster on the rocker arm, for one thing.

But it is fun to watch the pretty parts move when I turn the crank.

24. 1 to 2 threads showing on the adjuster. When ordering talk to Al. You need to also provide the size of the adjuster screw ball and the size for the lifter. I highly recommend the tool steel screws and cups. If the cups get smoked they can replace them. I would get stock outside diameter so there are no interference issues with the head or gasket. They can be made with a thicker wall for added strength. Al will get you set up.

25. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

2 weeks- damn it took me two weeks to change the transmission on my truck!

26. ...after all this work, Jim needs to take a road trip,...to relax

loudbang likes this.
  27. there is nothing relaxing about drag week.

loudbang and egads like this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

The three day drive there will be so relaxing...since I can't be working on the car!

Progress is being made, I got pushrods ordered, as far as I can tell the engine might actually go together some time next week. I'm assembling the transmission now. I plan to do a final mock up of the engine in the car before I assemble the engine, once I get the trans together, to figure out a bunch of details about where stuff fits, how it connects, see what's missing, start on the wiring and plumbing, etc.

and I might get some more help next week, my son is planning to visit for a bit.

29. egads

egads

I don't think most people realize how stressful, exhausting, nerve wracking (and fun) Drag Week can be.

62hotcat and loudbang like this.
  30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

And you get to drive your race car to the tracks. :)

chryslerfan55, OahuEli and loudbang like this.