Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2018 H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 20, 2018.

1. 348Auggie

348Auggie

Thanks to Ryan and all the guys that makes this event happen every year. Every year my wife and I look forward to making passes down the strip. Our cars are not fast but 3 or 4 times a year we get to live the dream.

2. Brandi

Brandi

I mean, that’s probably what is most likely going to happen. We were a little light this year, I think I counted 26 people in there last year.

Tim likes this.
  3. raven

raven

Rats, I missed all the chicks in the pool. I guess I need to change my focus some...
    Thank Boss for seeing the bigger picture in what this get together has become to our sorry asses. It’s the one event I will not miss (and haven’t missed one yet) all year. Great friends and a good time to build new friendships. That you for all you and your crew does and for putting up with us.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

NoSurf, Sancho and Tim like this.
  4. He don't have to do much to put up with you but thanks for thinkin of me. :D :D :D

Sancho and raven like this.
  5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Another great year in the books!
    Like @flamedabone said, I will also be at the HAMB Drags as long as you keep having them @Ryan

This year was my 12th in a row and I decided not to race. It really was nice just hanging out, visiting with old and new friends, and enjoying a day a the drags.

So much to be said, so many to thank. I need to get my ass in gear and to a photo/story thread.

flatout51, kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  6. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

Thanks for the kind words Ryan. And thanks to the Mo-Kan crew. The best in Drag Racing as far as I'm concerned! Couple of photos by Nate Luke from Saturday , first one should get you going.
    39685784_10216960135625994_3072937615821897728_o.jpg 39607959_10216960135425989_7141215855039217664_o.jpg

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Uh. Woah... Where/When can we see the rest!!!!?????

hiboy32 likes this.
  8. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Carl, what a great photo of Randy. I am saving that one.

Thank you so much for all your hard work.

John

9. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Yeah what he said. Ryan, it was a blast as usual. I also wil keep going if the event does. This year really did it for me. I got to ride a hot lap with Rocky in the 33, badass, also went late-night main drag terrorizing with Cactus in the B.B.

NoSurf, kidcampbell71, Tim and 2 others like this.
  10. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Ryan- Well written, and it makes me realize I need to get back out there for the next one and support you guys- It's been a long time (and the first was really 16 years ago???)...
    P1010006.JPG

Rick28, KCTA Chris, badvolvo and 7 others like this.
  11. I got a stern look from my wife the next morning when she saw this...haha!
    A5592271-F856-4B7B-98FB-404DD72971DF.jpeg

12. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Ryan...thank you for having this event, this year, and every year past & future. I've been out of the game for a while, but the right mixture of free time, motivation, and friends got me to my first HAMB drags since 2014. At first I was a little disappointed when it seemed like the event was dying off. By the time I had a chance to think about it a second time I didn't really care because three huge things were accomplished for me. 1)It was one of the most fun HAMB drags I have attended. 2)My cousin Michael (who has helped my dad and I work on cars throughout the years) got his first HAMB Drags experience and said it was one of the most fun weekends of his life. After this weekend I could tell that the gospel of hot rods and kustoms has FOR SURE taken up residence in his soul. 3)It gave me an enormous shot of motivation for next year. I'm pretty sure St. Louis is going to come back next year with a massive amount of hot rods, kustoms, race cars, and friends/spectators....so be ready.

Also, it was just exhilarating to catch up with people I haven't seen outside of Facebook/Instagram in 4,5, even 10 years. I know there were a few people I didn't get to talk to, so I was bummed about that, but I'll be back next year to hang out, race, and to spread that gospel!

Myself and @J.Ukrop posted some pictures and video on an Instagram account that we use to post pics of cool vintage stuff. You can find it on Instagram @Atomic_Age_Alchemy Also, don't forget to check out The Rodder's Journal for the rest of Joey's coverage.

Last but not least, I must have thought about Bob K 400 times over the weekend. I sure do miss him but his zest for life and eagerness to have fun and make friends will stick with me forever.

J.Ukrop, Malcolm, NoSurf and 6 others like this.
  13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks for all the work that goes into it. I ain’t the fastest but I’ll keep coming as long as you guys will have me.

14. lake_harley

lake_harley

This was the first year I attended the HAMB Drags. A friend and I went to the swap meet at Sp'fld on Friday and then enjoyed Friday evening hanging out at the LaQuita, even though we had to stay next door at the Quality Inn. To say we enjoyed the trip and the drag racing on Saturday would be an understatement.

My friend has always been a polished and chrome sort of guy, but it was fun to see his positive reaction to the basic hot rods that make the HAMB. I came away with elevated enthusiasm to really get to work on my (hopefully) HAMB friendly '31 Coupe.

I know I'd plan to attend next year with either my T roadster or my '31 Coupe...providing the Coupe would be ready (just starting on it). I'd hope my wife will join me in '19 to see what I kept yammering about when I got back home this year. Don't know that I'd actually make a pass on the drag strip, but actually being part of the event with a hot rod would be so much more fun than just being a spectator.

Lynn

kidcampbell71, cactus1 and Nick32vic like this.
  15. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

It's been a few plus years since I have made it to the hamb drags, but it's not because I haven't wanted to. I've missed a lot of events in the last few years. Missing this years drags really hit hard because I really had wanted to enter the street driven flathead class with my T roadster.
    Thanks for keeping it going. I will be back, ideally racing, but I'd be happy spectating too.
    My son, who's 9, is getting into vintage racing and I intend on taking advantage of that as long as I can.
    He wants to build a flathead rail, so Go Sam Go!!

16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

As someone who has made all but five HAMB Drags I am thrilled that it's on for the forseeable future. My wife Terry and I have made lifelong friends of folks we had only met on line because of getting to know them at this event. Hell it's how I became a Vagabond, recruited by Fiddy at two in the morning under a rain soaked pop up.
    Some of them I see once a year, at the drags. That alone is worth the trip.
    Thanks a million for all you do, I know it ain't easy.

17. ryno

ryno

now that's memories that last a life time!

kidcampbell71, cactus1, raven and 2 others like this.
  18. ryno

ryno

always a great time @Ryan , thank you for all you and the family put into it. excited for whats to come! as always count me in on what ever needs done

19. Man, if you are going to be there, I will try. Race my "HOT" '50 against your "37?

Ben

20. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

https://www.nateluke.com/
    Don't think he has posted them yet. He was doing video as well. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry fellas.....couldn't make it - business travel late last week and early this week.

Held down the Fort....
    Killed 40-50 - 100 ( lost count) fucking spammers while you guys were having fun over the weekend …and not have to - come Monday morning.

Looks like a good time was had by all.

( proud of Rocky - you did it man !)

kidcampbell71, Tim and cactus1 like this.
  22. Roadsir

Roadsir

@Ryan Thanks for putting this on. Consider enlisting help and more volunteers to reduce your workload and stress. I would certainly volunteer my time to help with any aspects of the event.

I think this was my 5th or 6th HAMB drags but the last three in a row as a drag participant. Last year I drove 9 hours each way and broke on the first pass (I don't think I broke the beams). Didn't phase me, I still had fun.

I had a really nice time this year, brought my wife for the first time and I think she had a nice time as well. I could could see a few recommendations.

Friday night is people are pretty reserved - knowing that Saturday is race day, and a fair amount of people take off after Saturdays drags. Perhaps an after party band/party Saturday would liven things up, and encourage more people to stay,

G C/S class is pretty large - Perhaps ask participants to class themselves by times 10-11 sec, 11-12 sec, 12-13, 13-14 for some better heads up racing. Fans might like that.
    Vintage exhibition class? 10 significant spots to make a non-competitive exhibition run. Could be a theme kind of like the flathead deal this year.......Olds, Pontiac, Nailhead, Hemi, or type vintage rails, etc.
    Leave some time at the end of the day for Grudge Racing - friendly wagering, callouts.
    330ft pit bike races?

But thank you again for keeping up with this!

Eric Hendrickson

raven, Russco, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I obviously didn't make it this year but looking back over the years have never read anything by anyone who didn't enjoy the event and that says a lot.
    Some thoughts:
    Events don't have to grow or be the "biggest"event to be the best or the most fun.
    What they do have to have is a good to great venue, fun people around you and some interesting cars to watch or look at. They don't have to be big name world famous cars but HAMB famous is pretty cool in it's own. I'd much rather drive the 1833.3 miles from here to there to watch a couple of built on the Hamb cars run than drive 150 miles to watch some NHRA pro run.
    For us as spectators or racers the smaller number of cars racing or even the smaller number of spectators means we get to talk to people we only have gone back and forth on the Hamb for years before that.
    Most of what we consider to be the most fun events were ones where we were around fun people, had a good time and made a lot of memories. They weren't the biggest, the flashiest or the most famous. First time my wife and I went to Billetproof at Chehalis she remarked "this is just like the events we went to in Texas back in the 70's" meaning that it was a fun event rather than a "we gotta draw big numbers" event. We walked and visited all afternoon at that one always running into someone we knew or someone who had a cool car we wanted to know about.
    Now to go out and dig though the sheds and figure out what I can use to put together a ride that will banzai to Missouri and back maybe with a stop at Bonneville on the way there if the timing is right that won't bust my budget too bad an someone will fall in love with when I get back as there is no way I'll have the 48 ready by next year.

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You know, the people know or should know about this event.
    Not sure the effort to promote it is needed.
    The ones that get it will come, and those are the ones you want.

MO_JUNK and dan griffin like this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

26. Crab

Crab
    from Tulsa, OK

Ryan, Thanks for the years of fun at the HAMB Drags. This was my 14th year straight to be there and I look forward to it every year. I miss some of the folks that we have lost or just don't come anymore.
    I got a few pictures and put them on my website:
    http://www.crablogic.com/hamb18.htm
    There is a link to all the previous years at the top.
    I still have pics on PhotoBucket, so they suck on a mobile device, Sorry.
    CRAB

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Thanks Ryan and to all who worked so hard to make this another great event.

Nick32vic likes this.
  28. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Thanks Crab.
    Great shots.
    It is always great to have you around for a visit.

John

Crab and Nick32vic like this.
  29. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan , Thank you and your crew for all the hard work that goes into putting on the event. Last year was the first time I had attended the HAMB Drags . My Wife and I had a blast . Couldn't make it this year due to a Family commitment . It is on the calendar for next year.

30. @Ryan
    "But I gave up on that goal a few years back and started taking it one year at a time looking for a threshold between pain and profit."

"But you know it ain't all about wealth
    As long as you make a note to (Express yourself!)"