Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Interesting comments when stopped for the light

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the day, a friend of mine had a ratty 55 Ford four door Fairlane with blackwall tires, a 312 Mercury engine, wolverine cam, a 57 Ford Nascar 2x4 set up and a Ford P/U open drive three speed. We were out cruising one night and came upon a 54 Ford two door with nice paint, wheels and tires, dual exhaust and an obvious small V8 and a three speed. I was riding shotgun and asked the driver if he would run us. He replied we'll beat you. I said I know but we never raced a real hot rod before and would just like to see how much you'd beat us by. At the next light it was on. We blew the doors off that 54 Ford and then pulled over. The kids in the 54 started to look over the 55. I still remember them looking under the hood and saying Holy Shit it has two four barrels. Same result when they looked inside and saw the floor shift.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the day I had a 58 black Impala with a 280 HP 348 with three factory two barrels and a close ratio three speed on the column. It was a hog off the line but not bad from a roll. When out street racing and encountering a car with an automatic I used to tell them since you have an automatic I'll give you a break and run you from a roll. Don't remember anyone not taking the offer.

Gary

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. No, Junji, it was blue. I'm still embarrassed!

HOTRODPRIMER and jnaki like this.
  4. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Ha!!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. No words necessary!:rolleyes:
    CT Dragway 150.JPG

6. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I want to do is watch.

7. I might've mentioned this somewhere here before, but one of my most memorable comments while driving my Roadster came few years ago when a friend (an actor) and I pulled up to a stoplight and right next to some large sedan (Cadillac ?) from the '80s(?) with two "aging"/"mature" dolled-up ladies (think Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Blvd") in it and its front windows rolled down as they both appeared to be smoking cigarettes.
    After few seconds of casually viewing (i.e. checking out ?) the Roadster and apparently listening its rumble, the driver suddenly yelled out loud with her quite raspy (smokers ?) voice "REV IT UP, BABY !!"
    Not only was this enormously entertaining moment in its surprise, but being we're also life-long vintage movie fans and this "scene" took place literally on SUNSET BLVD (right behind UCLA), made it even better and definitely memorable.

8. Deuces

Deuces

Ha ha....:D
    We'll never grow up!!!!...... :D

9. Deuces

Deuces

10. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

2 guys in a Japanese 4 Runner pulled up next to me , rolled down the window and asked what I had in it ? I replied a Ford 302 , He asked how fast will it go ? I said " bout a thousand miles an hour "

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

I have vintage Ferrari's that we often drive. Going out for a Sunday drive and stopped at a lightm a guy leans out of his car and sez, What a cool custom Camero.

The particular Ferrari is a 400i. 2+2 cabriolet, Red of course. Looks like a little bit like an older Camero from the rear. But with the prancing horse obvious from the rear and the Bornani wire wheels, not really.

We thought it was a bit funny,

brasscarguy

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

13. wicarnut

wicarnut

Yes, he eventually did learn to speed shift his 4 speed 409 Biscayne. jnaki your memory brought one up for me this AM. Back around 64/65 a neighbor had a 62 Impala SS, Red, 409, 2x4's, 4 speed, street slicks, and other mods, NIGHT TRAIN or LOCOMOTION name on quarter panel. the car was fast, he used to tell me they made enough money street racing to make the payments on it. He could not shift the car to save his life, BUT his 100# 5' wife never missed a shift, that was their hook as guys figured a girl can't race. One of the fastest street cars in Milwaukee until the Hemi cars, 396, 427 cars started coming out, Street racing was big event for me until 1970, I left that venue at that time and went open wheel dirt track racing for 21+ years, so many fun memories from my youth, actually all my life, the HAMB wakes my old brain up every AM with my coffee, now if I could only remember what I did last week/month. LOL

scott27, 302GMC, pitman and 4 others like this.
  14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Was driving my pink 59 Lark back from the alignment shop a few months ago, has a solid cammed 327, fenderwell headers and a 4spd . At the time it had 2 chamber noise masters on it....i was in stop and go traffic close to home when all of a sudden this young gal in a POS honda starts honking and cussing at me:mad: turns out she was pissed off cause she was trying to talk on her f ing cell phone while driving and she thought my car was too loud!! So of course I showed her what LOUD was:D

15. Did anyone get hurt in that wreck? :D HRP

16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I'm from the NYC area so you never can tell what's next to you at a light. I'm driving my fenderless, Deuce, roadster and come up to a stop light. Window goes down in the car next to me and it's an Indian family, not American Indian but from India. I hear, "sir, what has happened to your mud guards, did someone steal them"? Thankfully the light turned green and I just floored it.

clem, 61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

"So that's what old people drive?"

18. robracer1

robracer1

Stopped at a red in my 32 roadster highboy a young lady with some other lady's with her pulls next to me in her Honda and hollers SIR WHAT KIND OF CAR IS THAT, I holler back ITS A 32 FORD, then she hollers MY FRIENDS AND I LOVE THE COLOR BUT WE ARE WONDERING WHAT COUNTRY IT CAME FROM, I looked at her thinking you dumb ( I can't say the words I used ) and just shook my head and drove off when the light changed!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. primed34

primed34

No but your sister got cut in it.

20. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

What's important is did you beat him.

21. What I don't like is the thoughtless scumbags that honk their horn at me. That gets a single-digit response and I did have to apologize to my neighbor a few months back...

22. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The one comment I would always get when I had my old Galaxie was "That sure is a nice Fairlane"..... then years later I Picked up a Fairlane and I would get the comment "That sure is a nice Galaxie" oh those non car guy car lovers HA Ha

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Oh, so we're doing the classic put-downs and trash talkin', are we? :rolleyes:
    Back in the 60's, my classmate and co-worker Jerry and I are out one night in his '61 Chevy hardtop. It had glass packs, fresh wax, nothing custom except a few shaved emblems. It was just a nice cruiser. We eventually pulled into a local drive-in and happened to park next to Wayne, another co-worker of ours. Now, Wayne's car was a scruffy, tired 4-door post car but he had a young lady with him in his less impressive car. In a feeble attempt to sit a little taller his first comment to Jerry was "I see you got yer mom's car tonight!" Jerry comes right back with "I see you got YOUR mom's car tonight, too" to which Wayne had nothing else to say. :p

24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A guy behind me actually asked, "What year and make is your car?"

Attached Files:

25. In Oregon, you can't pump your own gas...

When I came back from California in '06 with my newly purchased '56 Chevy 210 HT on a uhaul trailer behind my Silverado 4x4, I stopped at VERY small town gas station to fuel up. A late 60's, early 70's convenience store owner/employee came out, sized up my car on the trailer and she exclaimed...

"OOOH! A STUDEBAKER!"

26. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

So I spot this 69 dart up ahead and I'm trying to chase it down. I finally catch a break and pull up beside it at the red light. I look over and there is this beautiful young girl driving it. We make eye contact. ..I then tell her..You know you're prolly not gonna believe me..but I have a dart exactly like that at home. She smiled..then said your right I don't believe you and peeled off thru the green light. Never seen her or that dart again

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. If you were a quick thinker,you should have said."That could be arranged,,rat now too.

28. This morning I drove the sedan to the shop and a man followed me into the parking lot and as I got out he rolled up behind me and ask, "how old is that car?"

Now mind you this guy followed me a few blocks before I stopped.

I ask him did he notice the license plate and his reply was, "Yes, but what does the iodine state have to do with the car?"

[​IMG]

I told him the license plate is a YOM ( year of manufacture ) for when the car was built, he replied, "that's nice but what year is the car?"

I finally said, "It's a 1932 Ford" and with that he said, "wow" and drove off.

I was beginning to think we sure have some real knuckleheads here in South Carolina until he pulled out in the street,thank goodness he was from out of state.
    :D HRP

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Oh yes there are!!! Beautiful girl, and looks very close to a girlfriend I had in the early 70's; the one that got away, and she totally crushed my heart and spirit. Then a few years ago, she posts to my ClassMates.Com account; I told my wife about it, and asked her what I should do? Do I respond or what? "Do whatever you want". There was a little back and forth, and that led to me digging up some info on her. Turns out, she's been married and divorced FIVE times! Dodged a bullet, a rocket, there. Anyway, back to the car thread: I've told this story before. Driving down the highway and stopped at a traffic light; nice day, windows down in my wife's 5.0 Mustang. I stopped beside a Pontiac Solstice, a little two seater, sporty car with two teenage boys in it. Obviously, it was "daddy's car". The passenger sees me looking at the car, and he says, "nice car, huh?" Smart ass. So I said, "yeah!!!, that's one of them new Pontiac Tampons, you gotta be a real pussy to drive one". Pisses them off, and as the light goes green, they're off, burning the tires a little. They did't see the unmarked, Snohomish County Sheriff's car right behind them. And, as the cop hits his hidden grille lights, he looks over at me with this big grin on his face. Game, set, match! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  30. Mistake One! You told the wife. Mistake Two, you ask, what should I do? Mistake Three, when she says "Do whatever you want" That was a test. You flunked! I am 71, and married to the same woman for 47 years. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.