Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special Is Ready for Bonneville!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Aug 4, 2018.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

See that, but just want to know details:):cool:

old flopper likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The radio broadcast/online link doesn't get much if any communication from course 1 aka rookie course prior to the runs. He reads the speeds off the screen after they are posted but that may be well after the fact.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm witnessing all the drama of the old 'Cisco Kid' series...
    "Mystery...Adventure...Romance..." This is great, HAMBers covering...Winduptoy, you're making it just like being there!
    The unfolding saga in this thread...Wow! Coil wire...
    Well, just like the times I was there... Loving it!

By the way...the old longish former Lakes car of Muroc (Leroy Newmeier) then became Chrisman's ol' #25: Lookalike...operated by 'Anderson team'?
    Fooled me for a few seconds at Pomona... thought it was #25...front axle gave it away. Amazing tribute!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Is the truck alright , no contact ??????????

5. Talk to my brother about an hour ago. They are not sure they have the tune right, but if you hum a few bars... plus might change rear gear. Don't know if they will make another pass today.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's Tuesday so some of the guys who went down for the weekend probably headed home and aren't around the truck or the pits anymore. Good thing is a lot of the posers went home too and you get a lot better chance to see or be around the race cars.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. old flopper

old flopper

The plug readings should help with tune, but with density altitude ranging from ~ 6k ft in morning to over 7k ft in afternoon they’ll need to tune to time of day of run. Gear change should depend on exit speed (last measured point) and what driver felt plus RPM’s at that point, plus was that at end of 2 mile or 3 mile course (unknown to us).

Edit: They might also consider losing some of that ballast weight from the bed.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  8. Everything is going great gentleman! We’re just busy working. Crew is getting in the zone and things are running smooth. Video to follow if we find some WiFi.

CD016B9D-185E-407C-B776-1FB9E3948E3D.png

9. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is great stuff. Fantastic. Just to be able to run on the salt is a dream come true.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. I'll try to fill in the days details .
    We got in a run around 8ish the truck went out really good ran out through first gear Dave shifted at 6000 RPM to high at around the 3/4 mile marker the shift point got us closer to the power band this way and was accelerating slowly but ok and was on a really good run when the coil wire decided it wanted to fall off. Totaly my fault for not catching that beforehand. Next...
    We went back to the pit and checked everything out, changed jets and headed back out around 10.45 got in another run and ran 111.6 and picked up a sputter about 3/4 in to the second mile. Just a tiny bit lean but a really clean run. We spent the rest of today debriefing and making plans for tomorrow. Didn't want to run this afternoon because the corrected alt. Was way over 7000 feet and the humidity and temps were not good. We plan to run tomorrow morning around the same times so we can get good data and compare it to the two runs we got today.
    Learning as we go and hope to go faster. Stay tuned and I will try to keep posting when I and crew are not thrashing on the truck.
    Thank you all for your interest and well wishes... John

11. XXL__

XXL__

No need to post. Just click "Watch Thread" on right side just below title on any page in the thread.

dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  12. Joel Reeves

Joel Reeves

STUPID QUESTION OF THE DAY: Is there a limit on push truck speed? (I was just wondering if the race truck could be pushed fast enough to start in high gear. I have no idea at what speed Dave is shifting)

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

High gear only works ok on the 5 mile course with about 80% nitro in the tank. There is no speed limit on the truck when pushing off only after going to the return road and when on the return roads. Running a 2 speed trans with quite a drop between gears has its drawbacks and is why most vintage engine competitors use multiple gear transmissions. Today many are at 5 speeds. These have other drawbacks as in parasitic load/drag. OD's are hard without the extra HP to overcome the extra loads they cause.
    Bonneville is a lot tougher on naturally aspirated gasoline in general and it's taken me years to find a way to overcome the altitude and high daily temperature consistently. For the most part I still haven't but that has never stopped me, Rich, or many of us... Either we are just hard headed or d--b... I'll go for the hardheaded.

14. old flopper

old flopper

Great info John, thanks from sharing. You guys are pulling through problems well that are often experienced with racing when far away from home.

Total spark advance correction may help with weather related performance also. If you can get good enough reading of color change point on plug ground strap..... Heck.... Just remove all traction weight and tell Dave to drive though wheel spin to keep engine revs up at shift change! :D

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  15. Scott_Rod

Scott_Rod

Jimmy Six says;
    “ There is no speed limit on the truck when pushing off”
    Interesting,,,,,
    How about we put a twin turbo LS motor in Doug Dyer’s push truck. That should be good for at least a 75 mph shove off.
    The SCTA folks might have an issue with that idea,,,,,, Something about the “spirit of the rules”.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With those guys the push truck wouldn't be LS powered but there would be a late Shelby Mustang sitting in a local wrecking yard with an empty engine compartment.
    I'd imagine that there are a couple of push rigs that can match the race car for speed out there though..

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There have been very small bikes that had push trucks faster than the bike. I think it was Rick Yacoucci who slowed down after the push turned out and still got some BMST award for speed compared to displacement.

flyin-t, Stogy, dirty old man and 3 others like this.
  18. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Best Bonneville story ever !!!!! Theres a reason a "record" is called a record!!!

19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. cmbrucew

cmbrucew
    from Socal

Maybe not good to post pictures of rental trucks on the salt.
    Just saying.
    Bruce

LBCD, XXL__ and dirty old man like this.
  23. old flopper

old flopper

That’s good news to me, maybe get to run through 3 mile marker and have time to get engine up into power band in high gear. :cool:

24. 10 back on course 3
    Should run around1100

25. old flopper

old flopper

Good info John,….Tell Dave to run it all way through end of 3 mile marker!.... Don’t know why but they didn’t even post your 2 mile speed in results from yesterday.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks John, I've been listening for the number of the Mustang ahead of it to be called so I could pay closer attention

27. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I know this isn't a proper reply to what you guys are doing, but could you run this class with a newer body truck with the old motor?? from my reading the PP class isn't "classic" so you could run something like a 96 f150 and drop that six into it and still be in the same class??