Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Speed Week 2018 - My Photo Impressions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Greenberg, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

I finally got to go to Speed Week, which was a big bucket list item for me. It was definitely a lot of fun and the results, photo wise, were mixed. I did not do very well capturing cars making their speed runs. I did get quite a few of cars on the salt, in the pits, a few at the hotel car show at the Nugget in Wendover and so forth. The skies got progressively smokier each day I was there. Speed Week goes until Thursday, but I could only stay for the weekend. I signed up late, so was staying near the airport in SLC so there was a lot of driving back and forth each day - approximately 110 miles each way. So anyway, here are the photos for better or worse. I probably won't have much in the way of captions on this. Give it a couple days to really start gaining traction while I try to get my other active thread for the Lucky 7 Poker Run caught up (https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...un-2018-photos-from-an-amazing-event.1117124/) . As always - thanks for stopping by. Please feel free to add info on the cars, people, etc. if you know it. Speed Week 2018 OMD-0216-Edit-001.jpg
    This car has a Ford 460 enlarged to 496 CI. Driven by Patrick Brown and owned by
    Cole Cutter, it broke the old record for cars with an FRMR body and A engine of 216.522 handily with a speed on the long course of 225.823. I sat next to Patrick at lunch the day before and it did its initial run at 224.203.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dan, good to see a familiar face with a camera growing out of it.... looking forward to your perspective

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Thanks Larry (@winduptoy). Glad you were able to make it and that we got to hang out a bit. It was great meeting Neil too.
    Speed Week 2018 OMD-0941-Edit.jpg
    A freshly built '33 built by the Outlaw Speed Shop caught romping around on the salt.

kiwijeff, jrbunch, bonesy and 54 others like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^What a great picture

5. Great shots Dan! I'm sure you captured photos of the Maryland boys Jim Ireland (Irishjr) and Andy Volpini (OL 55)?

lothiandon1940 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks - look forward to more

7. jim snow

jim snow

As always looking forward to seeing your photos. Thanks Dan. Snowman

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to have a seriously long lens and a steady hand to capture the cars while they are running down the course. Now, lets see those photos you took.

9. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Thanks @Bandit Billy - I have more of that '33 coming. Thanks a lot Scott (@Scooterville). I did indeed get a number of pictures of Andy and Jason, as well as, Jim and his friend Jim. You're welcome and thanks Snowman (@jim snow) - you will be happy to know that I came through it intact - no sunburn and my eyes, though a bit salt blind at times, came through it too. @Mr48chev - I actually did have the super long lens and even a tripod to steady it. The problem was knowing when and where they were coming from and then getting a bead on them. I actually say them coming through looking like a wavy mirage. So, I basically didn't waste too much time on it and went around the rest of the place getting the cars I could capture well.
    Scott - here is the first of Andy and Jason as they arrived at the Hop Up party on Sunday evening.
    Speed Week 2018 OMD-2182_3_4-2.jpg

kiwijeff, PONTNAK123, bonesy and 39 others like this.
  10. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Speed Week 2018 OMD-1388-Edit-2.jpg
    All kinds of cars show up even if they are not racing. So is the case of this gorgeous '49 Ford.

kiwijeff, sdluck, jrbunch and 43 others like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Glad to hear you survived the hot dog avalanche lol. Been looking forward to your photos, I’m sure the environment has got a wicked learning curve

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

It has its challenges, but there are certain things that are easier too. Thanks @Tim
    Speed Week 2018 OMD-1257.jpg

kiwijeff, jrbunch, bonesy and 48 others like this.
  13. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Thank you Dan. Always look forward in seeing you fantastic photos.

14. Nobey

Nobey

Can't wait for more, thanks Dan.....

15. Thank you,as always great photos.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. littlebluecoupe

littlebluecoupe

Dan. The picture of the 33 three window on the salt is unreal. What a great picture! Bet your trip was fantastic. You leave us wanting more. Thanks. Bud

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dan I don't know if they use the CB in the tower any more but last time I was there I had the CB turned on to the channel they were on and the FM radio tuned into Landspeed.com 's frequency Sitting out at the two mile or three mile that gave us a better chance of knowing who was running and when.

18. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Looking forward to more.

19. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

You're welcome @Ranchero59, @Nobey, and @Texas Webb - thanks! Thanks Bud (@littlebluecoupe) . There are more of that car and more of that kind of picture coming. Thanks @Mr48chev. Someone told me about it and I was trying to use it but it wasn't coming in that well. I am not sure how far down the track I was. I kept turning away because cool things always seemed to be going by behind me. It wasn't just not knowing exactly when, but also trying to focus through the heat waves which made things look like a mirage and hard to get sharp. It is all stuff I will have to practice more on. Thanks @T&A Flathead
    Speed Week 2018 OMD-1864-Edit.jpg

kiwijeff, jrbunch, bonesy and 32 others like this.
  20. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Dan, Thank you for the great pics. Speed week is another bucket list item for me, & your pics make it more of a priority!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. So Dan, tell me, did you set any land speed records coming from your hotel and/or returning to it?:eek::D That was a big chunk of time out of your day, but you were there, man. You were there! And, we appreciate it greatly. Fantastic pix in a unique environment.

22. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

You're welcome @akoutlaw - I hope you get to go. I finally did after trying for a few years. Thanks for stopping by.
    Well Wayne (@Bowtie Coupe) I resisted that urge to go super fast on the 110 mile stretch of I-80 between my hotel and the flats but it was sure tempting - that road is smooth and flat and the traffic was pretty light especially at night when I headed back to the hotel. I am sure I would have got more pictures if I were closer, but those are the breaks. Next year, around early March, I will get a hotel room in Wendover like everyone else - hopefully. It was fun blasting around the salt in my car - it seemed that a lot of time I drove from photo op to photo op - the place is huge! It was certainly a very unique environment - a lot of these will look like they were taken in Antarctica or something. A big contributing factor was all the fires in California that made the skies hazier and whiter day by day. Although the backgrounds might not be as colorful as they would be without the smoke, the haze actually made photographing the cars a bit easier.
    Thank you Wayne - I appreciate you taking the time to look at my threads.

Here is a source of info on all the cars and their speeds - look them up by number: http://www.scta-bni.org/sw-race-results.html
    Speed Week 2018 OMD-1900_1_2-7.jpg
    The Kiwi Coupe - I believe it was running in the 120mph range

kiwijeff, jrbunch, dwollam and 28 others like this.
  23. So glad to hear that your travels back and forth were uneventful. Sometimes it's such a pain trying to figure out what's a good lead time to obtain a hotel room and then remember to look for one in that timeframe. It certainly sounds as if you had some fun in addition to snapping some fabulous shots. What an incredible natural wonder in addition to all the fantastic cars. Dan, I'd be following your threads even if they were nothing but pix of Tonka Toys in the backyard. I can't express well enough just how much I appreciate, and I'm sure many others wud agree with me, the fact that you travel to these wonderful events of your own volition taking outstanding pix for all of us to enjoy all while at your time and expense. Not to mention the additional time you spend editing and posting those incredible pix. Saying thank you just doesn't seem enough.

24. jim snow

jim snow

What he said. Snowman

25. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Well thanks again Wayne and Snowman. I definitely appreciate it.
    Speed Week 2018 OMD-1824-Edit-004.jpg
    A newly finished, almost stock '34 roadster brought by the Elmer gang that I was fortunate to get them to pose for me late in the day on Sunday. The skies would normally be bright blue but due to all the smoke from fires in California, it looked pretty bleak and surreal like this getting progressively worse the days I was there. I think it made for some interesting and different photos though. I kind of like how it looks like it could be Antarctica or something.

kiwijeff, bonesy, dwollam and 32 others like this.
  26. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Speed Week 2018 OMD-1991_tonemapped-4.jpg
    Five M Racing - XO/PRO - at least 107 mph

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    kiwijeff, jrbunch, bonesy and 27 others like this.
  27. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

28. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. brady1929

brady1929

Great pics Dan.