Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Question on car shows.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Every Friday night all summer long we've got a local cruise night, I like to go 'cuz it's Friday night and I feel like sittin' my ass in a chair and bullshittin' with friends. That being said, when Saturday comes, I'd much rather be driving it around! :D

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

We may want to start some sort of support group...

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I like shows. I like to see what people drove to them especially. I don't get to go to many shows and when I do, I've learned to avoid the guys with nervous or confrontational body language like standing, crossed arms and nervous hovering. I don't actually mind a little bullshit though so I usually just let myself be amused by it when I step in some and go on about enjoying the day. You don't gotta like the owners to appreciate their cars!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    trollst likes this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Is not life grand?:D

5. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I used to hit a show every weekend but now I'm more selective with the theme like hot rods and customs. I'll go to almost anything with some swaps and probably go through it three times before the days over.

I prefer shows 50-75 miles away that I can get to without tolls ans even highways. I got sick of the local shows with the same cars,same faces, same bitchers, same new rides, same DJ playing the same tunes, same people sitting at the same picnic tables, the same.......

I like a good long ride to see cars I've never seen before. I like meeting new people with the fondness of hot rods and customs or a good story about the stupid auto related thing we did as kids.

Most of all "I LOVE THE ICE CREAM".

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

INVISIBLEKID, jimmy six and trollst like this.
  6. And then, there's always pie and ice cream !! :D

7. I didn't say that if your showed your car you had a problem. I said that car shows attract men like that.

That said this could be a good thread, if anyone her is actually able to answer the question, honestly or otherwise.

Good question, well articulated. ;)

8. 34Larry

34Larry

Just going to interrupt here to say what is being said on this is about what I imagined. I ran the risk of it being a repeat of this subject, but sometimes that is a good thing because if that subject being from the distant past and it needs refreshing for the more recent crowd that has joined or came across the H.A.M.B. Personally after starting again to show my recently completed 34, I don't find it as, lets say exciting as I did back in the decade of the 90's when I was at a show every week end, sometimes both days. Of course I was single then, and not now. Mostly great cars to be sure, nice folks willing to share their ideas, cars, and all but after seeing most of the cars, talking with a few guys, gabbing a dog and plopping my ass in chair it does get plenty boring. So I'm not doing many these days, have other fish on the line that need frying. Thanks to all who responded to my question, now its out to the garage to find something to tinker with on the Ford.

9. Latigo

Latigo

Gotta say, I enjoy seeing rods going down the road or being driven around town much more than just setting at a car show.
    Seeing them in their natural habitat without the lawn chairs.

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What pisses me off when I go to a car show, is I see a pristine, two four or three duece stock car and think “ I could have bought one of those x number of years ago for x$ and didn’t. “ And now it’s worth xxx$.
    Then I walk around depressed! Lol

Bones

11. I think that these types of topics need revisited every once in a while. It gives everyone a chance to get inside of their heads, I personally don't try to go there any more than I have to because inside mine is a pretty scary place.

There is nothing in the world wrong with being proud of an accomplishment and wanting to show it off. Perhaps that is one reason we post what we are building, or even share our knowledge if the truth be known. Sometimes maybe better to just not ask about the truth. LOL

patmanta and trollst like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoy building cars and driving them...parking them, not so much. I go once in a while if there is a bar and a band and some buddies to hang with but I show up late and leave early. It's not that I am unsocial but there are a lot of dumbasses out there, I don't think it contagious but why take unnecessary risks?

milwscruffy, Gman0046 and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I host about 8 little cruise in’s a year. Gather between 60-150 cars, grill some free food and relax for the evening.

Why do we do it? Honestly I’m to damn busy to go see my hot rod buddies individually so if I offer some free food and some shade they are sure to all show up lol.

I couldn’t care less what they drive to the “event”

That being said it does bring out some pretty cool stuff that I’ve never seen before and I meet some great new people that have turned into friends.

I guess it’s more social for me.

Clearly as I haven’t washed my car in over a year but I still show up in it ;)

14. That is an interesting twist...hmmm. Just what kind of pie is it that you like? I like cheesecake, could that be considered a pie?

15. Right now, I'm liking two crust peach. Have to take advantage of summer.
    Cheesecake has a bottom crust, it can be considered pie, I guess. Being from Alabama, I'd have thought you'd prefer pecan pie. Which leads to arguments about pronouncing pecan...

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  16. Here is a something of note. I like raisin pie, nut I don't like raisin custard pie. There is oother pie that I really like but this is a family oriented board isn't it.

In Mexico Cheese Cakes is actually called Cheese Pie.

as for how to pronounce pecan I had a southerner tell me he could tell I was from Calif because of the way I pronounced pecan. Then proceeded to tell me the proper way to pronounce pecan. Now the joke is that I grew up saying pecan just like Paula Dean which raises the question is she really southern or just a fake making money on a gimic. :rolleyes:

Shutter Speed likes this.
  17. Guess I am an oddball, as I hate "pea con" pie. Too sweet the way they make it here. I do love peach pie though and now you have made me crave it....nice going....

Chili Phil and Flathead Dave like this.
  18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Key Lime Pie is one of the favorites in the Florida Pan Handle. The slightly tart taste is great. Pa con as we call it in the South is pretty good as well. Not interestedd in anything called Pea can.

Gary

Tim likes this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Peperoni, olives and mushrooms, the perfect pie.

Boneyard51 and karl share like this.
  20. In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, it would be a "Moon Pie".
    Just for the record.

Shutter Speed likes this.
    chevy57dude likes this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like a lot of pie in the sky (or in your eye) dreamin'

23. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with you, Ben. Low calorie, too.

24. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum .........:rolleyes:

25. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

We may want to start some sort of support group...

I can lend my 2 hands to support something......

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know about Pee-Can, but I Can-Pee more often than not.

27. I agree with the "social aspect" and "gleaning of ideas" of going to shows. Yeah, sometimes you run across an asshat, but I've spent many pleasureful hours visiting with an old friend I'd never met before.
    It seems I find less of the asshats at the larger shows, more seem to hang around the little local shows, where they can be the "big fish in a small pond" dude.

wicarnut likes this.
  28. LOL when I was a kid still (younger that 21) I used to cash my paycheck at a local liquor store. I always bought a Moon Pie and a 1.2 pint of Bourbon. The guy that owned the store called me Moon Pie. He also gave me a case of Moon Pies and a fifth of Bourbon for my 21st Birthday. Said really loud in the store that it was a glorious day, I was no longer 22. :D

chevy57dude likes this.