Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stuck distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Aug 13, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The distributor in the 351-W I put in my F100 is stuck,been letting it warm up and soaking with PB Blaster but still will not budge. Was there any kind of tool made to grab on to a distributor as the vise grips are not doing the job.

2. oldolds

oldolds

They can be a bugger. Time and patience. I have broken a couple. Try putting the tube from the blaster on starting fluid. Sometimes that cuts oil better.

3. choptop40

choptop40

Hey hey...a basin wrench might work...it's the tool that's used for plumbing to reach under the sink to loosen the faucet...

4. No specific tool that I know of ??
    You may have to take it apart then put it back together after a cleaning and might as well get good internals what ever they may be

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Unkl Ian likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got some black powder that will get it out. The valve covers and pan might not like it though.

Truck64 and Hnstray like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I once picked op a 1969 Cougar, with a 351C, by the distributor, with a forklift.

Still did not come out.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

this usually works. Might need a new distributor when you're done.

tekton-chisel.jpg

czuch, vtx1800 and Oldmics like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That does indeed work.

classiccarjack likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Been there, done that. Traded the car off it was still stuck. Aluminum distributor shaft and cast iron block + moisture and time = electrolysis corrosion due to the two dissimilar metals. That's why anytime I pull a Ford distributor, I coat it with antiseize before it goes back in.

You'll probably have to beat it out from the bottom side. Not fun.

czuch and Unkl Ian like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was thinking old wood chisel to jimmy it up. I broke one trying to get it out one time and had to buy the customer a replacement.

11. Wedges, and a LOT of heat ?

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Some folks say, it's still there today.

Wait, no. That ain't it. How'd ya get it outta there?

pat59 and Muttley like this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do have another distributor so I can destroy the one that is in it,I will have to look into that plumbers basin wrench. I think it needs a timing chain so the cover is going to come off and should have more room to grab at the distributor with the water pump out of the way.

14. classiccarjack likes this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In all fairness, I have seen this in a Chevrolet engine as well. Any aluminum distributor housing/iron block is subject to it under the right conditions. At least in this case it is in the front of the engine compartment.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've never had it happen to me in a Chevy, but agree it's possible. First one was in a 289, I beat it out with a 5lb hammer. Second one was in a 302, never fixed it.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hammer and chisel.

Truck64 likes this.
  18. There's a process that I've heard of but never tried myself.

It involved heating the block around the distributor, within reason. Maybe with a propane torch if it can be done safely, or maybe using an electric heat gun. Have something handy to pry up on the distributor housing and some insulated or heavy leather gloves. After applying heat to the block give the distributor housing a few blasts with a CO2 fire extinguisher to chill it quickly. Or maybe try packing the area around the housing with crushed dry ice. Hopefully the housing may shrink enough to break free of the block and allow you to twist the distributor back and forth while lifting and/or prying it upward.

3340 likes this.
  19. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I had that same problem this weekend. Hammer and chisel, no go. Pipe wrench, no go. All this with PB Blaster of course....
    Over an hour into it....

A few burps with a dull chisel bit in my impact gun....came right out. Gonna re-use the distributor....

Almost forgot, had Max Gearhead on the opposite side with nice even upward pressure with a prybar....

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Unshinned beat me to it. Dull air chisel, on low, kinda pushing up, and a little time will get them out. It’s the vibration that does the work.

Bones

Bandit Billy likes this.
  21. :D:D:D

Hnstray likes this.
  22. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Jeff, Snap on makes a puller fork piece that fits a axle puller. They work pretty good......

Hnstray likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

if you had a picture, we could probably make our own? quick google doesn't find it.

24. cshades

cshades
    from wi

We have used the engine crane to put force on it, spray and hammer --- hope for the best. sometimes it comes out all together and sometimes it destroys it.

25. RmK57

RmK57

If it were easy enough to remove the oil pan you could pound it out through the bottom.

26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"IF" my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle! :D

Ray

54vicky, czuch and Truck64 like this.
  27. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yes, Snap-on did make a special tool for this. I found it in an old catalog but I don't know where that catalog is now, if I find it I'll get a picture and part number of it.

I have taken one out of a 221 the hard way, wrecked the dizzy and chipped a gear tooth.

I also recently successfully (as in no damage) removed a stuck dizzy from a 390 with the usual soaking in miracle spray plus careful prying and twisting.
    I guess now I know just how much that thin aluminum distributor housing can take.

28. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Have one stuck in a ‘67 390 GT that I don’t think has ever been messed with. Sawzall across the body so I could get the intake off for mock-up with the dual quad intake for engine height/location. Been soaking it 2 years. Nothing has touched it. Time is about here to get serious. Will be either heat/hammer or just put it on the engine stand and beat it out from the bottom. Time to stop being nice.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  29. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

If I had some ham, I could make a ham sandwich, if I had some bread.

54vicky and Hnstray like this.