Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Question on car shows.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Aug 13, 2018.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Porknbeaner said on the burnout crash thread: People wonder why I avoid car shows. They usually attract guys with little man syndrome and those guy just have to show off somehow.

Sorry PnB but this is not my reason. I think I'm ok with my manhood and not at all after praise to boost my self-esteem. But having said that and believing it. I asked myself "why do I enjoy doing so". I never really analyzed getting down to the nitty-gritty, and in doing so it boiled down to this. I enjoy showing what creativity can do to a car. I enjoy other car guys and talk about what their is to them, and their family. I really enjoy others rides as long as it is pre '70 and the creativity in those cars, whether they are hot rod or custom. I enjoy being out in the "car"world with "car" guys. I enjoy supporting worth while fund raisers and this is my way to do that and those that go to charity are tax deductible if you keep a bona fide record of attendance. There are other reasons also. But that's enough of my blathering.
    So now I'm going to ask you guys the question:
    Why do you show your car or go to car shows.
    PnBer, no disrespect my cyber friend, you brought up a really great question to my mind.

2. samurai mike

samurai mike

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just as each of us are different from the next person - some times not so obvious and others very obvious - much like all of the rides out there - it is great to go and seem them up close & personal - plus, at times, good to talk to owners and get more details about their ride - of course, sometimes this is not always a rewarding experience - getting to see others reaction to your ride, or another that caught your attention - being able to support those that go through all of effort required to put on a show/cruise - many times it helps raise funds for a specific charity, or others in need - using the experience as an excuse to put some miles on my ride, and often see other towns that I do not spend any time in - spending time with friends, often that you may not see on a regular basis - taking pictures of rides at shows to share with others that did not make it to show for one reason or another - always like to check out swap meets to find what I have on my needs list - often finding stuff that I never knew that I needed until I saw it -

chevy57dude, wicarnut and clem like this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

I had a different take on PnB’s statement, I think he was speaking about the idiots that have to do that burnout, or pull a run on a busy street to enhance their manhood.

5. To hang out with other people who love cars like I do. To see cars and share the hobby with young and old alike.
    Edit - Local show last week, very young guy with a 5.0 sitting by it with his family. He had done some cosmetic alterations. Cartoon character headliner, mom helped with that I believe. He was so enthusiastic telling me about it. I told him how a friend back in school did the same with a Jack Daniel's banner. His dad perked right up and said "I had one of those!'' Entry level stuff, not my scene. But we have the cars in common and connected across the generations. I wasn't the old grouch too snobby to look at stuff I wouldn't build. Later, a family whose son is confined to a scooter and cannot speak rolled up to see my cars. I had him roll up beside mine and opened the door so he could see the interior. Using his Ipad type device, the computer Stephen Hawking voice asked why I have 2 shifters. Talking to him like any other person in the world, I explained the reverse lockout rule and how the Ramrod Hurst works. This guy will never drive a car. But he sure likes 'em. That day, I was there for him.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ughh..... the cars, maybe

Bones

Terrible80 likes this.
  7. Usually when I go to a show or cruise in I'll look at what interest me,but the best part is meeting up with friends and bench racing.

I am around non car people everyday and associating with like minded people makes me a happy camper. HRP

8. "U" forgot a letter in the title. And I don't go to car shows unless they're free.

9. verde742

verde742

I find I can look at cleavage and the sun LONGER while wearing dark sunglasses

10. When I used to go many years ago it was to enjoy the cars and to get ideas that I could use. That was before everything could be bought off the shelf. Not too many innovative ideas anymore, everything you see can be bought.

bryanyeskie and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spreading the gospel...and it's never the same old song and dance...and like @Jalopy Joker says ya get out for a drive and jibber jabber about this n' that...a small part of the big picture.

Shutter Speed and chevy57dude like this.
  12. 29moonshine

29moonshine

every thing has to be bought now because there are nothing in the parts yard

pat59 likes this.
  13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I don't know where you guys are looking but I see gobs of creativity and old parts right here on the hamb, that's the biggest reason I'm here.. I also go to cruise-ins, big and little shows so I can get more ideas and parts and talk to people that have the same interest as I....

aerocolor, lothiandon1940 and trollst like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are always those idiots who can't get by without "showing those guys how my car runs" It doesn't matter what kind of car event you go to be it car show, rod run or the drags there is always at least one who decides that he has to put on a display of speed and a good amount of time it isn't someone who is a participant of the event or even a paid spectator but some local guy who can't help but showing those hot rod guys that his car will crank it.

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree 100%. I'll walk on by if I'm not interested, but I can talk to any car guy or gal. I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into a ricer or late model even if it's not something I'd own. There's a common interest there, even if our rides are totally different.

wicarnut likes this.
  16. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I thought I was the only one that done that, the cleavage part not the sun so much. I feel so much better about myself knowing there are other like minded guys around:rolleyes:

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a car guy who goes to Donut Derelics most Saturday mornings in Huntington Beach. It's talked about here often so many of you know it. Around 7:00 am folks start leaving and one or two just need to light-um-up. Over the yrs I've witnessed some nice cars wrecked and for the most part the cheers when they do. If there is one I always hope it's a single car...

Tman and jnaki like this.
  18. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My favorite shows and cruise-ins are the ones where there are no awards. We have a few around here that charge like $5 to enter, give you a dash plaque and you walk around, talk to the car owners, walk by the new stuff or anything else you are not interested in and just have fun with out the drama of the trophy hounds. I have even had guys come to one of our monthly Dairy Queen get togethers that asked what time the trophies would be awarded and when we said there are none got all huffy and left. Their lose!! I have gotten over the burn outs but they do happen by some of the guys that are feeling their oats when leaving sometimes. Is it a sin to watch them even if you don't participate?:confused:;)

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

why do I go to car shows? I go to look at cars and take pictures. don't like people. they should all park their cars and then leave so they get out of my way. come back at 6:00 and take them home. if I drive an old car to a show it is to have a spot for my cooler and a chair. I don't care if people like it or not, I don't have this junk for anyone but me.

I really don't think I'd like some Grand Wazoo shiney beautiful car at a show. I wouldn't want everyone looking at me when I drove by. if I wanted attention I'd get a mowhawk haircut and face tattoos.

56don and lumpy 63 like this.
  20. bobkatrods and Shutter Speed like this.
  21. verde742

verde742

we are HERE for you !!!!:)

22. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I am not a big fan of car shows where guys plant their asses in lawn chairs and tell anyone who walks by how bitchin their car is, And after 30 seconds of talking to them you realize they didn't have two thirds of #%*@ all involved in building it. I have also read the thread on the dumb ass who injured a spectator at a show in Oregon....Stupid Move. On the other hand I remember back in the 70s going to downtown San Diego at the end of the world of wheels show late on Sunday night , Just to watch the Hot Rods I'd been admiring all weekend leave the show, It was a blast for a teenage boy to see quite a few of the cars hammer it when they left, The cops were there and as long as they didn't get stupid it didn't seem to be a problem. Not condoning it Its just the way it was. My Favorite show is still CHHR We get to go racing, bench racing, check out the swap meet, the show in the grove, The cackle cars, camp out , drink beer and bbq....After that its hard to enjoy a show for guy looking for a shiny momento to take home...unless its a . Wally!

23. toml24

toml24

I went to Donut Derelicts 52 weeks a year, for one purpose, that was to FANTASIZE. Truth be told, I will never have the $$ to own my own '27 Ford Tall-T, a '32 Ford 5-window Coupe, or a '37 Chevy. So I went to DD every Saturday morning to dream about seeing those cars in my driveway. I would never, ever chop a car for style, but, I would not mind using modern technology to restore a car. I've moved away so my visits to DD are very rare these days, but I can still fantasize can't I?

firstinsteele likes this.
  24. I was at 3 different car shows in the last 10 days, and going to one on Thursday. I spend a whole lot more time talking to the people (old and new friends) than I do looking at the cars. Of course, there are always those cars you can't walk past without a much closer look. I haven't been to a car show yet in my life where I haven't learned something, met someone new and interesting, or had a long conversation with an old friend.

pitman, firstinsteele and wicarnut like this.
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

I enjoy the social aspect of the car shows, cruises, have made many friends with like car interests. The diversity of the people/cars keeps me participating. We are all different, (Best part IMO) It's real easy to walk past cars and away from an Asshat at car events. I sometimes enjoy the mountains of BS that comes with the territory, can be very entertaining, just like here with fellow HAMB CarCrazy's. Have a Great Day !

26. 392

If I had the picture of beating a dead horse I would add.......but I don't.

27. raymay

raymay

Been going to cruises and some selected car shows since the early 70's and later this morning I will be driving one of my Customs from New York to Michigan again for the annual Woodward Dream Cruise. My 40+ year old kids still talk about the events we shared and the Grandkids show similar excitement when we get to attend them together. I do enjoy meeting people and seeing the vehicles and builds that interest me. In the Northeast not much happens in the winter unless it is an indoor event. Our car club organizes some local garage tours, others have traveled west to events like Bonneville, Vegas, California or any event they may have put on their bucket list. Yes there are a few showoffs who think spinning the tires is cool. Well there is a time an place for that and a cruise or car show crowded with people walking around is probably not the best choice. I have to say in retirement, continuing to enjoy the interests I have had in our sport certainly helps us Gray Beards stay young and I can't think of a better group of people to have as good friends.

wicarnut and chevy57dude like this.
  28. I go for the swap meets. I usually won't go unless there is a swap meet, or free. Still don't see the logic in paying someone to look at my car.
    I used to go to look at pretty girls, but now days they are mostly my age and my weight so they are about as attractive as me...o_O

29. In before the lock.
    Most big car shows are on nice summer days, I'd rather be on the beach where I can cool off. I'd probably go to a few in cooler months. There is a local after-labor day show VERY close to me and I avoid it like the plague. It also has a crafts show with all mass-produced stuff and almost everyone has similar products. The traffic in and out is a zoo.