Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bill Hirsch Paint - Excellent Service!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HuskerNation, Aug 13, 2018.

1. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I purchased the Bill Hirsch “space age bright aluminum 2000 degree paint in a pint can for the painting of my engine. The paint has been streaking terribly & this morning was the worst!

Yesterday I painted the head and again had streaking. After getting advice on this issue from Hirsch Paint to repaint it again, I once again prepared & started painting the head. It became so bad I had to stop.

Does anyone have suggestions before I throw this crap away, strip the head & find something else? I couldn’t be more frustrated after days and days of preparation for paint, so please help!!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. BJR

BJR

Metalic paint almost always does that when brushed on. With silver paint most of the pigment is metallic. You need to spray it to get it even.

3. oldolds

oldolds

I think you will be surprised how much that evens out after some heat and time happens. I know it doesn't make sense but 500 miles and a couple weeks it will look ok.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spray it! Put on a light coat, get it tacky, put on a heavy coat or two, pull the gun back and fog the metallic over the wet paint coat evenly. You will like it.

Slopok, loudbang and HuskerNation like this.

5. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

Home Depot has these , never used one myself but have seen others . If you don’t have spray equipment. IMG_0738.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LBCD and dan griffin like this.
  6. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Thank you all for your help & great ideas. Fortunately the guys at Bill Hirsch Paint have come to my rescue & are sending me a spray can of the paint!

7. belair

belair

Hirsch makes good stuff. Operator error.

8. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

HAHA! There’s always a chance for that, just ask my wife!

I actually shot a video of what it was doing, but I can’t figure out a way to load it.

Either way, I am grateful for Jeff Hirsch going the extra mile and help me out, it says a lot about them!

Hyfire likes this.
  9. Roadsir

Roadsir

After you brush it try dabbing it with a foam brush. I did that wit the Oldsmobile Gold on my 322 and it really evened it out.

10. dan griffin

dan griffin

I have had good results with these little sprayers.

Ed Angel likes this.
  11. edselsouth1

edselsouth1

I have actually sprayed quarter panels with those Preval sprayers. Turned out nice. Still use them occasionally. Rims in the avatar pic were done using Preval sprayers.

12. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Home Depot? they have been around for years as far back as can remember, only available at the paint supply store

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I use the Perval sprayers a lot for little jobs, less cleanup than a pot & gun!

14. In case you're not aware, you can't upload videos directly to the HAMB. They should first be uploaded to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo or the one of a couple other approved video hosting services. Then you place a link to the videos on the forums here.

If YouTube (or other video hosting site) is saying the files are too large to be uploaded they may have to be edited at a lower resolution and/or shorter duration. Video files are humongous compared to still image files.

15. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

HD actually does stock the Preval sprayers, my local HD has 21 in stock. Which is surprising as they seem to not have 75% of what I need.

I will have to brake down & try using one of those video sources recommended.

Almost forgot, I did the dabbing method with the sponge brush as it was drying but it wasn’t working for me. Eventually I just kept coming back to it brushing gently, it did improve but just not enough.

Probably operator error!

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Husker, remember even with the spray bombs, to fog that last coat over a nice heavy wet coat to even out the metallic so it doesn't "model". It works like a charm.

HuskerNation likes this.
  17. It sounds like they came through for you. You might want to change the title. A lot of people read only the title and and it is negative.

Charlie Stephens

18. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

Yea up here in Alaska I’ve seen them in the Paint department. Been awhile since I’ve noticed them .

19. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Charlie, I thought about it yesterday but didn’t realize I could do that. Thank you for letting me know & hopefully this is a more appropriate title considering all their help!

dan31 and Tim like this.
  20. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

UPDATE:

Last night I received the complementary can of spray paint from Jeff Hirsch Paints called “Space Age Bright Aluminum” (2000 degree temp). It’s the same paint as before except in a spray can vs brush on. Today I prepared & repainted the engine head & Block.

WOW! It looks amazing & trust me, these photos don’t do it justice, it is absolutely gorgeous. Again, I want to give a huge compliment to Jeff Hirsch for going the extra mile and helping me out by sending me a can of the spray paint at no charge. It says a lot about their willingness to stand behind their products, even when nothing was found wrong with the paint I originally purchased.

No question, I’m a customer for life!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tb33anda3rd, loudbang, belair and 2 others like this.
  21. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

That looks great ! And hey I have a friend with some cool Hudson parts . Aluminum head dual carb intakes even a complete motor . [​IMG]

loudbang and HuskerNation like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice. I've been looking at their Chevrolet engine gray that is said to be the correct shade for the engine in my 48. It's a late 292 but I want it stock gray with the finned aluminum. It won't fool anyone in the know but I'd like a know it all or two to point out the souped up 216 in it.

loudbang likes this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

24. bangerbob

bangerbob

loudbang likes this.