Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Another crash at car show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oilguy, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. News update: The Dalles resident Craig Byers, 28, badly injured Friday night when a car “rapidly accelerated” at the Neon Cruise and hit a parked car which then struck him, remained in serious condition at a Portland hospital Monday...

Lawsuit's a-comin'

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. X-cpe

X-cpe

The one question these guys never seem to ask themselves is "Who else is going to pay for my dumb assery." There are two cardinal rules for squirrelyness. 1. Don't do anything that makes anyone else have to think. 2. Don't do anything that makes anyone have to react.

chryslerfan55 and dan31 like this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Sorry to hear the injuries were severe..........it was bad enough if they were minor.....but now .......

As for how crashes like this affecting the promoter's ability to afford future events.....In the County just south of where I live, it is a very scenic rural setting with lots of trees. In the Autumn, for many years, the county tourism people have sponsored a "Color Drive" through the area. People set up various roadside stands offering all manner of antiques, tasty treats, etc.

Last year at least one of the vendors offered apple cider, a common local product. Several people got sick from it, not deathly, but most certainly miserable. Of course, a lawsuit was filed. The damage done wasn't even close to the seriousness of this thread's subject incident.

Nonetheless, the consequence was the local agency promoter announced they couldn't/wouldn't sponsor the event any longer, citing Liability Insurance coverage availability/affordability as the reason.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  4. Jeez I thought I stumbled onto the Ralph E. Nader restores club reading these comments, isnt this a hot rodders forum, like nobody here has ever gunned their car a time or two. Better not kick that choke down, might get away from ya.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:cool:

6. morac41

morac41

Its the 1% ers that f$#k it up for every one else ...police get edgy and make it hard for everyone doing the right thing.....promoter losing his venue....insurance companies increasing premiums ....ect

7. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Not sure up there in the states but down here in New Zealand we have burnout comps at some of our car shows. And the ones that dont have that outlet means the dudes just do it latter that night.
    Not that I would know anything about that of course officer.

\m/(-.-)\,,/

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

I did my share of burnouts in my younger days. I was lucky nothing bad happened. There have been times when the tires on my coupe have chirped, but certainly not a burn out. There is a pretty big difference. There are times and places things like that can happen safely. A crowded street or where a lot of spectators are, is not the time or the place.

I've been part of a few organized shows that do controlled burn out areas and they are popular events. We encourage everyone leaving the show not to do burnouts when leaving, we tell them the police are ready and willing to write them up for such things. For the most part, we have been pretty successful at preventing our show participants from performing display of power activities when the cars leave. Most of the trouble comes from the local guys, and the police have them covered pretty well.

Out town just had its annual Cruise Night. There were well over 1,000 cars parking on the streets and parking lots down town. Some down town streets were closed off and a cruise circuit was opened up from 6:30 until after 8:00. The streets were full of cars, trucks and bikes cruising. The Cruise night also has a burn out contest, with a prize for the winner. On the Cruise circuit, the police are tolerant of a few tire chirps, but anything more then that is quickly addressed. Sat night was the 40th annual Cruise Night, the spectator crowd was estimated at around 10K. It was a fun night.

As for the guy that had the crash, if he did indeed go around "pulling the front tires off the ground" a few times before this crash, and someone didn't call him on it, they share in his responsibility to some extent.

I was just on a Mopar web site and some were posting pictures of The Mopar Nationals in Ohio. They were showing videos cars doing heavy smoke shows with people and cars all around, and they thought it was great. One guy posted pictures of the black tire stripes on the pavement from the weekend, he said that 4 lane highway had all 4 lanes covered with tire marks for over a 4 miles stretch. It appears the fool in the short Chevy isn't alone in his stupidity. Gene

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have seen many foolish/dangerous displays with high HP cars, usually at venues where alcohol is sold, IMO Hp and booze is a bad combination. Makes for some stories., tavern with huge parking lot, big cruise night, long straight road out front, guys leave, burnouts, full on 1/8 +mile pass, So........ local sheriffs walk around warning everyone, behave, its gotten out of control, Well some guys didn't think they were serious. Men leave, same display, 4 guys went to jail that evening, cars flat bedded, big time fines. DUI, etc, Sheriff had a road block set up the road a mile or so. That calmed it down some. Another quick story, local restaurant/bar put on 1X a year, eats/free beer. Grandpa with Grandma in car wants to one of the guys with his older Vette , jumps on too soon leaving lot, does a smokin 360 , jumps curb before he lifts, luckily doesn't hit anybody or thing and Grandma was hot, could hear her screaming at him, poor guy, never came around anymore, Note, leave wife/girlfriend home when anticipating attack of stupid, they tend to be our governor, probably a good thing. I'm not all that judgmental, as a kid, drove like a "Dumb Ass" and it still happens on occasion, my signature covers it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Thor1 and Gman0046 like this.
  10. We had a show, actually a morning cruise that the state troopers oversee on Sunday mornings. Yet some tool in a Vetter leaving one morning winds up in the guard rail. But nobody hurt or any other car involved. The next week I was there and the troopers were out in force, checking registrations, front license plates and things like that. We had another great venue (Bellmore Train Station, Friday nights...) get shut down for a few years for burnouts and racing.

chryslerfan55 and wicarnut like this.
  11. Terrible80

Terrible80

Yes, I have done some stupid stuff. And I faced the consequences. This Gee, I hope they're not to hard on him crap is dumb. You wanta play? You gotta pay.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I remember not too long ago they used to have a show of power along the road of the entrance into the Louisville show.
    Went on for many years.
    The police ignored it.
    Was fun to watch with many beers in hand.
    They finally put a stop to it.

swade41, chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Jalopy Joker likes this.
  14. LAROKE

LAROKE

Tom Phillips and Peg Phillips. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

ZZLEGEND and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. dan31

dan31

To paraphrase Dwight Shrute [from "The Office]," I ask myself ,is this something an idiot would do?, if the answer is "Yes", than I would not do this thing." It's about personal responsibility and the responsibility we should all feel towards others concerning their safety. Shit, I do burn outs,big fat smokey ones but I do them on back roads with no one around and I know there stupid but it makes me giggle. Why do we all build 400-500 plus H.P. engines? , spirited driving that's why. And don't tell me it's only for the track because I've been there and there is not many of you are there anymore. I'm hearing so many peoples attitude is that we should write more laws or anyone doing a burn out ever, anywhere should be thrown in jail and butt slammed?[ that one was a little harsh] . This type of thinking " let's protect ourselves from ourselves " never works because you can't fix stupid but it will be flawed logic that will destroy our hobby.I will pray for a fast and full recovery of the injured man and also the dummy that caused all this. Teach your kids/grandkids the lost art of personal responsibility.

16. murpa

murpa
    from .

Thank you. This could have been any one of us ? Let's just learn a great lesson from somebody else's mistake.And hopefully everybody's going to be O.K.

swade41, chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Some shows are put on with a one-day insurance policy and it comes out of the sponsoring party's pocket, they may get some or all of it back with entrance fees, raffles, etc. But after a bad scene like this, you can't go back to this insurance carrier for your next show. You just hope they had enough to take care of the injured people and it all turns out well as possible. Hopefully the car driver has a good liability coverage of his own.

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

In the early 2000 years, A man cruised his Blown 40/41 Willy coupe around off and on all day and you would hear the racket from him jumping on it, finally asked a NSRA rep how does he get away with that and was told, local NSRA rep and this is the only time car comes out is for the Nat's. Hmmmm, interesting, Same guy ? a blown BBC, tiny import something, same deal, cruised it all day with blips of throttle, later years did not see this anymore. I heard stories of window stickers getting pulled and getting kicked out of show for this type of behavior. I have no bitch with NSRA, your story brought the memory up. Also anyone besides me remember at Back to 50's in evening, locals watered road by fairgrounds so guys would do burnouts, pretty spectacular, also a few years at host hotel the parking lot at night got pretty wild after dark, beers consumed, with burn outs.

19. It seems some people have the burn out gene and some don't. For those of that don't, it's hard to understand. What's harder to understand is that at 53 this guy hasn't figured things out yet. The old " some have to learn things the hard way" rule applies here. I also hope the guy heals up good and the show can still go on next year.

20. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Damn, I was just trying to make an offer on that car too

21. gasser57!

gasser57!

It is easy to write him off as an idiot. I am sure no one on this thread has goosed their throttle on anything other than a drag strip. (Deep sarcasm)

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. The NSRA nats in Ok City was the same way back in the 80's. They had bleachers set up at Reno & Meridian and the crowd was like a rock concert with all the people lining the street,smoke so thick you could hardly see. Cops did nothing for a couple years then it all just stopped. Last time I went people still lined the street but cops everywhere , no tolerance. Guess they got smart.

wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Personal Freedom vs Personal Responsibilty bears some thought. It is an irony that living in a “free society” requires it’s citizens to exercise greater self control if they are to preserve it.

It is a generally accepted principle that the “right to swing your fist ends at someone else’s nose”......simply the idea is that your ‘freedom of action’ has limitations as soon as it/they have an adverse effect on, or strong probability to affect, someone else. Doing stupid stuff that the outcome of which truly only affects you is not the issue.....have at it. But who among you ‘defenders’ of this jerkoff would willingly take the place of the injured bystander in defense of said jerkoff to do as he pleases. Would you put any of your loved ones in the bystanders place?

Further, the idea that those of us (most or all) who have done stupid stuff and ‘got away with it’ therefore have no right to criticize this guy is flawed logic and self serving BS. Those of us in that category (doing stupid stuff), and I am one of them, should be thanking our lucky stars we didn’t cause a disaster that killed or maimed someone else, much less ourselves.

Hopefully we matured or learned from our poor judgement and lack of self control and now recognize the potential damage that could have occurred and resist the temptation of high risk antics in inappropriate circumstances. If we have reached that point, we have a responsibility to discourage the actions of those who have not......we would only be hypocrites if we continued to act in that manner while admonishing others.

Ray

24. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Yes, I can remember attending the OKC nats in the ‘80’s and a lot of the burn outs were from the locals. I remember NSRA guys reaching in windows and pulling off the show entry cards off the windshields of some of the offenders. After the display but sometimes while the guy was doing the burnout. It was crazy with the people an arms length away from a car burning out. Packed, shoulder to shoulder with no place to escape. We just watched at a distance in shock.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That's how I see it too. There are very few accidents. A tree falling might be an accident. It was no accident that the accelerator was pushed down hard. There might be unintended consequences of an intentional act but that isn't an accident.

jaw22w, X-cpe, uncle buck and 8 others like this.
  26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^well stated.....

Ray

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. I never do burnouts at work but I know people that do.....:D.:D.:D

gasser57! likes this.
  28. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The people who put on events are often held responsible for things that happen there.

29. LOL if we are goin' to get religious about it doesn't wash all your sins away [pretty much make you without sin? Uh I am asking for a friend.

Now that we have beat this guy up, sent him to super-max for life and made fun of his car lets make this fun. I mean why the hell not right?

Way back in the '90s ( yep I was actually alive in the 20th century before we became civilized hoodlums) I was at the Goodguys Des Moines one year camera and note book in hand. This dude rolls up in front of the beer garden (something I always figured was not a good idea but who am I to judge a big show promoter) on one of those motorized bar stool thingys and parked it and went after beer. I just had to try it, so I got it lit, jumped on nailed it spun a little cats ass and backed into a glass deuce roadster. The guy calmed down right after I explained to him that he probably should not park in front of a bar is he didn't want his car run over by a bar stool and pointed out to him that his car was not hurt as much as my ego. All I did was bump into one of his tires a little bit which did not even leave a mark.

Now the show rent cops didn't seem to have as good a sense of humor as the guy with the roadster (who did proceed to move to another location). I even told them if the guy didn't want me to ride it he shouldn't have left it with the keys in it.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.