Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special Is Ready for Bonneville!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Aug 4, 2018.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The tailgate makes no difference unless they run for record. Until then they can run whatever they want.

loudbang, D-Russ, XXL__ and 1 other person like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like the looks of the tailgate, look forward to more runs. Bob

3. Off to a good start, tomorrow's another day to sort out the problems. Time to party at the Nugget tonight.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good Job Team 640...Big Thumbs Up...thanks for sharing the excitement again...;)...have a great evening.

5. Second run footage from the push truck...

6. Man,you guys are living the dream!

I wish you the best of luck. HRP

MP&C likes this.
  7. Very sorry but my phone decided to take a dump just before our second run.

It went ok - took a long time for the push truck and the race truck to get going. Then the truck took off and sounded strong all the way down the track. But, we only went 104. Seems the truck bad no more to give after 4500 rpm. So back to the pits we went.

Put the truck up on jack stands and we found some problems. Number 4 cylinder is a bit went with oil. Maybe the ring hadn't sealed or is cracked. But, it's just letting oil by, not that it's not making power. We will replace the spark plug after all future runs.

Then there's a tranny issue - after the second run the yoke was wobbling in the powerglide tailshaft. Turns out the bushing had been pushed out, the seal was gone, and the yoke was scored. John is going to the auto parts store for the bushing and perhaps some other parts.
    Hopefully with a new bushing we can at least make another pass.

We also swapped to shorter rear tires.

So, not all that we had hoped for has happened but we are still in the game. Changing the rear tires we should, on a good run, run upwards of 117 mph @5k. If this actually is the case on the next pass, a rear gear change might be in order.

Fingers crossed ....

8. One last item before bedtime....

A hearty "thank you" for all the support and interest in the team these last couple days. It is extraordinary how many people came up to the pit and knew the story- including the Kiwi team at the starting line at the second run for the day! And how many listened to the live feed all day for news of the 640 truck.

Isn't the Internet nothing short of a miracle connecting unlikely kindred spirits?

More tomorrow. Tonight the team is feasting on burgers and tube steaks at the Bend in the Road. Living the dream indeed.

9. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks guys for the videos and the updates. Keep your heads Up. The Va. HAMB Special Rules!!!!!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. Typo? I'de take the burger please! LOL! GO TEAM 640!

D-Russ, old flopper, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

Yep, got excited when they announced on live feed #640 on the rookie course!

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I may have missed it but what is the record they are going to try and brake? Bob

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Over 131mph which is the current record...for this class of vehicle.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, that sounds doable, hope the tires and gear change do the trick. Bob

loudbang, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Truth.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So the two gates are interchangeable? What a go there Russ...hows the ole adrenaline.

If the gate issue is not up for discussion that is fine. If you can I have thoughts below which are of interest.

I am just curious as its understandable you are going for the record so would it not make sense to swap them out now...that is of course if that is a compatible model of truck you fellas are pushing with due to possible aerodynamic differences? I see the cabs on the side shots are actually different perhaps the tailgates are as well but hopefully not.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. Great work guys, but I have a question...Wouldn't shorter tires decrease the top speed? A shorter tire has a smaller circumference, therefor, for every differential revolution the tire would deliver less distance. That means a slower speed at the same maximum RPM. I'm probably wrong...if I was right, I'd be a crew chief at Bonneville right about now!

@john mullen @D-Russ Am I a bit loopy on my thinking?

D-Russ, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Think they are probably trying to get to that rpm faster before they run out of track

D-Russ, loudbang and brett4christ like this.
  19. The beds are the same, the cabs are too. The difference you identified, good eye, are the 640 truck is an early '60's uni-body design and the push truck is a mid '60's. The body line on the doors is the only real difference as far as body lines are concerned. Either doors will work on the uni-body but it has the correct doors for the style it is.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. Gotcha!!! Just wondering since they mentioned it would only turn 4500. I'm sure they're on the ball...John is sharp!

21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Theoretically, that line of reasoning is absolutely correct. But you're dealing with a heavy vehicle with limited horsepower and all the aerodynamic properties of a barn door. It sounds like they are still accelerating and well below its potential speed when the timed course ends.

Shortening the gear ratio may limit its unlimited speed potential, but they are trying to maximize the speed they can hit by the end of the timed mile. Hope that makes sense.

22. Thanks @Gotgas !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Gotgas like this.
  23. Sorry for another tailgate post,but it got stuck in my head. I kept looking at the push trucks’and thinking I’d never seen a 66 and back f100 with that trim. I was thinking that it was a later tailgate, all I’ve ever seen or I guess,noticed, were painted Ford logos.
    But I found this. The deluxe I guess.

Attached Files:

24. Any word on the progress of repairs and/or next run?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and seadog like this.
  25. That's a later model tail gate,the Custom Cab shared the same tailgate as the 65/66. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guys pretty well explained it but going to a shorter tire right now is a lot faster and simpler than changing the third member out to put in a different gear set and when you get on the tire diameter, gear ration, rpm chart the end results are the same.

Not as bad as the lowrider homie with his Impala cruising down the 55 mph road at 45 on his 13 inch Roadstars showing 70 on the speedo and being passed by an 80 year old in her Prius doing an honest 55 though. The main thing is getting that great looking brick up to speed as quick as possible.

Tim, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  27. Thanks Pete!!

loudbang likes this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Maybe a torque converter would help.
    On the power glide, when the governor support is bolted up, you want the planetary / output shaft hanging vertical in the case to line up the support before tightening the bolts.
    Not doing this could cause some alignment problems with the output to tail housing bushing.

D-Russ, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.