Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drum brake and line locks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Aug 11, 2018.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

I have a 56 chevy gasser and want to do electric line locks. I am running drums, and as I do my research, I am not sure the electric kits from Jegs, Speedway, etc. will work with drums (there is nothing saying it wont, but nothing saying it will).
    I like the kit idea because it has everything I need (in theory) to do the install.
    Thoughts? Advice?

2. Why would it not work on drums ?

Johnny Gee and loudbang like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think the hydraulics care.

TagMan and loudbang like this.
  4. hayu

hayu

All it does is hold pressure. have put on drum and disc worked just the some.

loudbang likes this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brakes is brakes, so long as they are hydraulic.

loudbang and Unkl Ian like this.
  6. AHotRod

AHotRod

They will work, no worries.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Maybe you know this, but you only need A line lock. If you still have a single master, you'll have to re-plumb it a bit.

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

My avatar had 4 wheel drum brakes and a single pot master cylinder with a line lock . Worked every time.

egads likes this.

9. You do realize The Hurst Line Lock came out in the 1965 when most cars still had drums?

Photos from Yenko.net
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photo from-http://www.mustangandfords.com/news...h-a-mustang-drag-racing-tradition-since-1965/
    upload_2018-8-12_5-13-39.png

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Just yesterday we were cleaning some parts out of my Dad's garage and came across a line lock that used to be installed on a Nova of my Dad's. He didn't want it anymore, so my brother with the 1968 era built '32 five-window took it home. His son thinks it will be a lot of fun when installed. (That car has drums on front and back, just like the Nova did.)

loudbang likes this.
  11. Interesting...How did you heat the tires in the water box?

12. ray

ray
    from colorado

here's a tip if you want to do more than sit n spin in the bleach box: install your line lock backwards in the rear circuit instead of the front. this will lock out the rear brakes, while allowing you to modulate the front brakes as desired. much better if you want a lil help doing donuts, or just rolling out of a burnout smoothly, rather than just suddenly releasing the brakes.

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Hardly ... install in the steel line going rearward ....

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

It was installed in the front line going to the front wheels.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

It doesn't lock the brakes off, it locks the brakes on. Put it in the front. Duh! ;)

Bandit Billy and seb fontana like this.
  16. First of all, we don't know what the o/p is going to do with his line lock(s). He may have an automatic in his "gasser", and just may want to heat his tires in the water box.
    So, first a little background info here. Line locks were first used to hold a stick shift car in the starting line lights. Guys were using mechanical hand brakes, three feet dances with heel and toe and so on, before then.
    Stationary water burn outs didn't actually become commonplace until about 1970. Pouring bleach and all sorts of concoctions down and burning through them, and then a dry hop or two, or six. No need for line locks there.
    Then guys would use the line lock to hold the car in the water box by locking the front brakes. Both sticks and automatics could use this method. This may be what the o/p has in mind. I suppose you could lock OUT the rear brakes and it would work fine.
    With a stick shift car, it's a different story, and I'll tell you why, if anyone is interested.

17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Oops .. thinking of Mico installation ...

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Before line locks, I had an old slot machine handle mounted to the bottom of the dash so it could operate a rod to the brake pedal on my 57 Nomad modified production 4 speed car. We just ran the front brakes a little tighter than the back to get the rear wheels spinning in the water.
    Not the best idea but it worked ,also used for staging. Good thing we had a long shut down area.