Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My 1959 Dodge Sweptside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carncycle, Aug 10, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. carncycle

carncycle

I joined the HAMB some years back but never posted pics of my Dodge Sweptside. Originally purchased by my father from new, and now owned by me, it has been in my family from day 1. I recently revived it after being parked for approx. 30 years, and trying my best to keep it as original as possible. It is the 318 V-8, auto trans, and has the rare radio (working ) option hanging from the roof. The paint is original, although heavily faded and bleached. I thought the Mopar guys would like to see it as living proof that a few of the 59's still exist. I grew up riding in it and am having a blast running it again, and have only seen a couple 59's in my lifetime! Edit ----The truck was in Central Texas most of its life and is virtually straight and rust free other than the surface patina. None of my 4 older siblings or me have any remembrance of the truck ever being in an accident. Dodge used the rear fenders from the station wagons of those years and I have been told by several Mopar purists that it is quite possible they used a different primer than was used on the truck cab/front end, thus explaining why the rear fender paint weathered worse than the cab and front end. Just a guess though

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. That is an amazing story and a Great truck! I would vote for restoring the paint but that’s just my opinion. I really like the truck either way. Hobo Jim

Ron Funkhouser and carncycle like this.
  3. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

That is way too nice of a truck to be saddled with worn out paint. It does not need patina to look cool.

AVater, LOST ANGEL and carncycle like this.
  4. Neat truck and cool history. If the side of the bed wasn't already sanded down somewhat I would go with the original look. Maybe there is an in between painting that will not make it a show truck you would be afraid to drive. Rare one you got's there bro ! And that's so cool on that Sweptline !

5. Paint it , make it shiny, not flat black to hide sub-par bodywork because that is what it does.

6. carncycle

carncycle

Thx----there really is no bodywork to speak of and aside from the surface patina it is virtually rust free from living in Central Texas.

7. Love the truck- paint it- to nice not to-

Hnstray likes this.
  8. belair

belair

Paint it. Too nice to look like crap.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. carncycle

carncycle

Thx sir-----I have given that some thought as well. I am not crazy about the rear fender paint and can only guess that the factory used different primer on those station wagon fenders than on the truck cab? Not sure. Also FYI it is a Sweptside----not Sweptline. Many folks call it that because they are not familiar with the Sweptside. Thx again for the compliments!!

10. carncycle

carncycle

I don't really like the look either, but they are only original once! Interestingly every time I take it out for cruise nights, the response overwhelmingly by those that see it in person always say the same thing----" DO NOT PAINT THE TRUCK!" Early on I wanted to take it apart and do it up right, and one day my neighbor brought it to my attention that the spot on top of the drivers door where the paint was worn off was a result of where my father laid his arm all those years ago when driving it. I guess that was a turning point for my plans. I agree though that it would be sweet to see it perfectly repainted!! THX!

tractorguy likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I was a Chrysler/Dodge dealer for a number of years and during that time found that specialty models frequently did, indeed, have different color primer than the standard assembly line parts. Whether that is the case with your truck I do not know...only that it is entirely possible.

I love the truck....quite scarce...and would look wonderful restored to original paint scheme, in my opinion. In any case, Congratulations on the continued family ownership and best wishes with your future efforts of preservation.

edit: the same people, or new people, not having seen it in this condition, would rave about how good it looks restored. People react to what they see....not necessarily to the possibilities.

Ray

Ron Funkhouser, belair and carncycle like this.
  12. carncycle

carncycle

Thank You !!

13. It needs the repaint.... And if I'm not mistaken, aren't the taillights on the wrong sides?

Hnstray likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Missed that...but, yes, I agree. At least the bezels/lenses, if not the oblong trim panel.

Ray

15. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would repaint it , but preserve some of the wear that represents special family history like worn windows etc so you can remember past family drivers. It would not be so fake as there is a bunch of history in this cool truck. Its obviously been loved all its life and needs some more love. The bright work all looks great. But i think every time you look at it you will want to touch up something and it will nag at you.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. carncycle

carncycle

Good eyes----- Yes I reversed the bezels thinking I might give the lenses a little outboard shield from an unintended bump from someone walking too close. The lenses are getting hard to find. You are the first to notice. THX!!

17. earlymopar

earlymopar

What a great truck. You are a such a lucky guy to have your dad's truck. I agree 100% with the others about painting it or doing a cosmetic restoration. How many miles on the Odo?

- EM

18. carncycle

carncycle

Upper 60's on the odometer. THX!!

19. Latigo

Latigo

First one I've ever seen. Amazing truck with a greaat history. It deservers new paint in original colors .

20. gene-koning

gene-koning

The people that say "Don't paint it" don't know how good those trucks looked when they were painted.
    All that original patina doesn't mean anything if you don't even like it. Paint the truck, it will look great. Gene

21. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Beautiful truck! My dad had a '58 step side when I was little, would love to find that one again

22. choptop40

choptop40

100 years from now no one will care...do what you want ....

23. You Asked for opinions, so here's mine.:rolleyes: Frist off I love your pickup! Secondly I don't think you should care what I, or anyone else thinks.;) That being said. If you like the old paint that's cool. But if it were mine, I'd paint it in a heart beat! I too love old Dodges, and have a 1934 sedan delivery. As for them only being original once. That's true. Your truck is a great survivor. But in {my opinion} the paint did'nt survive. There are a few cars and trucks that look killer in two tone paint. Like Chevy Cameo's pickups, 56 Nomads, your pickup etc. etc. I'd love to see more pictures of it too. Like the mill, interior etc. The thing I like most about your truck is it's family history. It's a keeper, and should be past down for generations to come. { I know sentimental !} So maybe the interior steering wheel etc. can stay original, and you can have all the great menories of your dad. What ever you decided to do. I hope you drive it a LOT, and keep us posted.:) Thanks Ron....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Truckdoctor Andy and Hnstray like this.
  24. exterminator

exterminator

Love your truck. I would paint it if it was mine - love it!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is so well put!

Ray

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  26. Terrible80

Terrible80

That two tone would look really elegant a top of the line vehicle , original worn paid t looks better on a plain Jane base model, my opinion.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray and AVater like this.
  27. KenC

KenC

I'm of the opinion that premium models like this deserve to be seen as a customer would have seen them on the showroom floor. So, paint.
    I voted in your poll too, but not sure how it will be viewed as he question is a either/or but the votes are yes/no. I voted yes 'cause I think that's what you meant.

28. George

George

Your poll should be "paint' or "don't paint", not yes or no. "Should I paint or keep it original?" yes or no? huh?

29. Nice pickup, great with the family history..it deserves to be painted.

30. Delmar Haase

Delmar Haase

I learned to drive in a 1959 truck. I’ve been looking for one. I may have one located in Oklahoma. It’s a 1960, but they’re identical as far as I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app