Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special Is Ready for Bonneville!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Got ready for tech inspection this AM ...
    rps20180810_114617-2.jpg
    rps20180810_114646-2.jpg
    .... and the HEAPS logo got installed, the group that has worked along with johnrodz to get this all together ...
    rps20180810_114540-2.jpg
    .... and she heads out ....
    rps20180810_114722-2.jpg
    rps20180810_114753-2.jpg
    rps20180810_114822-2.jpg
    As far as we know, we needed a cut off anti-roll over switch for the electric fuel pump. We found out a guy had them here, we purchased one, and brought it to tech inspection. That's all we know so far - fingers crossed!

D-Russ, loudbang, MP&C and 12 others like this.
  2. old flopper

old flopper

Good luck guys......!
    Just tell them you have an anti-roll over device in the drivers’ seat..... :D

3. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cotton pickin time!

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That's quite funny - two years ago I had to track down the exact same thing for a team I was helping. A couple people pointed me to (probably the same guy you went to) a guy with one, I think off of a Ford vehicle?

I'm enjoying following along. Best of luck, guys!

loudbang and TomT like this.
  5. Joel Reeves

Joel Reeves

The inspector's wife sells the switch for $100 out of the back of his truck

6. VeryTangled

VeryTangled
    from Outside DC

Hi Everyone. Joel, that sounds like it must be true! [Edit to add:] Do you think he has more than two cases of them with him? Pays for the whole trip?

TomT and Earl and a great group of friends did some touring around the Yuengling brewery a few years ago.

Could I ask... How does this beast cool itself? That green hose seem like water, but I'm confused.

It's like a train wreck, I can't stop myself from looking one more time!

Tom, Thanks for making the room in the, well, you don't have a back seat, but you know what I mean!

[Edit to add:] What powerplant are y'all using? Straight six?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  7. Awesome vent window decal. Got one on everything I own.

8. greybeard360

greybeard360

Those switches are under $35.00 at an auto supply. That sounds a bit fishy to me. As many times as you have probably been thru the rules I would think you would have seen it.

Great following your build and adventure up until now. Danny Thompson posted that they will be in line to run early Saturday morning... Get out there and have fun!!!

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The car is the same as most. A rear mounted water tank and suitable (Not garden hose) hoses to a pump to circulate the water. There is usually no radiator used.

10. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

TomT, ...Im watching you...

loudbang and TomT like this.
  11. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

TomT and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Well, we had a few things to fix ...

1 - we had to plug up any cab holes - floorboard, cowl, firewall
    2 - the tonneau cover has to be installed even with the bed sides - we are on top
    3 - we had to cut holes in the race seat so the upper belts cane in at about better angle for Dave - big job
    4 - we had to install a roll over switch for fuel like in the Ford broncos,
    5 - we have to have a real tailgate, not something made up like we have
    6 - we had to ups tape the side windows top to bottom, inside and out because they were not safety glasses

Doesn't seem like a lot, huh? Try doing it all in a mad scramble! But, we will make our first pass tomorrow, as we then PASSED TECH INSPECTION!!!!!! Woooo hooooo!

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you guys hit a wrecking yard for a tailgate...or you just pulled one out of the hat like abracadabra...:p...and modding the tonneau...Now I know why you brought the big trailer because you gotta be ready for anything. Glad it all worked out...

14. Made tech, now get the record.

15. Btw - the switch we needed was $20. A bargain when you consider they had us over a barrel!

16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Great Job! Most folks have no idea how hard it is to just get through TECH inspection. With that said, I have nothing but good things to say about it - as every single rule and all the work they do is for the safety of the driver and crew. You guys did really well to hump through it and be ready for tomorrow. Best of luck!

18. Absolutely! It is not easy to get through tech . . . very few make it their first time. With that said, the roll-over switch is in the books. :)

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You fellas inspire...what can I say...there is a lot of that around here and that's a big reason the Hamb is such a cool place...Dream Big You Guys...Do it on the Salt...;)...and Thanks for the Inspiration Team 640 XO/PP

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang, if my road car wasn't acting up I'd be wanting to take off in the morning to head down there.

TomT, loudbang and dirty old man like this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Really good news on getting thru tech, and I agree that I also would have never thought about the tailgate or the bed cover.

TomT and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Where did you find a real tailgate that fast?

TomT, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meet the push truck...;)...at least that is what's being suggested...how incredibly fortunate is that...wow
    rps20180808_205537-2.jpg

25. Knowing these guys ,they had the real one with them. What’s that old adage ( possibly from Smokey), if you ain’t cheating you ain’t winning? Might as well try to go the light route. John was a circle tracker.

TomT, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.

26. Exactly what your own response was, who cares? As long as everything goes well, no one gets hurt, smash the old record, and you all make it back home safe. That is the real bottom line to this adventure.

TomT, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. I just heard the call for the drivers meeting. I guess it won't be too much longer before they start running cars. Best of luck today D-Russ and crew! I will be listen to the live stream as much as I can.

D-Russ, TomT, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  28. Very cool, good luck guys! I wish we could all be there to see you run!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TomT and loudbang like this.
  29. Scott_Rod

Scott_Rod

TomT, loudbang and Stogy like this.