Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Volvo 140 steering box in a shoebox ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve More, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Steve More

Steve More

I'm contemplating putting a manual Volvo steering box in a shoebox ford, has anyone done this with a stock flathead V8?

2. Use the search menu and do Volvo steering in 50 Ford. It brings up 25 different posts on just that.
    The Wizzard

X38 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I put one in a friend's car. It took three attempts to find a Volvo box that wasnt worn out. When all was said & done it wasn't much better than stock. Definatly wasn't worth the expense and effort in my opinion. I have driven a couple shoe boxes that had good original boxes and to me the Volvo was no improvement. Others may have a different opinion.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  4. I put a Volvo box in my 50 works perfectly compared to stock box was all over the road even with box adjusted . Only hard part is fabricating adapter bracket to mount Volvo box .Use Volvo arm reamed 7 degrees on opposite side to take ford tierod end .

5. Steve More

Steve More

are you running a flathead V8?

6. curt vesely

curt vesely

Steve, I put a Volvo 140 steering box in my 49 coupe today. I used the Fat Man bracket. The steering box goes in real nice and the box has about a 1/4" clearance to the tubing header on my Flathead V8. When I went to hook up the pitman arm to the cross link hits the pan ( stock 49 pan ). I will either have to heat and bend the pitman arm 1 1/8" down or find a tie rod end with a 1 1/8" longer shank. Anybody have a better idea?

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Did you read post #4 above? It may be the solution to your problem.