Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 241 hemi owners...too much

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Aug 10, 2018.

1. silent rick

silent rick

i don't think my 241 will clean up at .060 and if that's the case, i will need custom pistons. except for costing twice as much, it's not such a bad thing. it means i can run any compression ratio i want.
    so a fresh built, 10:1 compression, regind on the cam and a hotter ignition...will this intake be too much? i have 4 97's for it.
    i know on huge chryslers this intake isn't a problem. has anyone ever gotten this intake to perform well on the street using it on a 241-270 dodge?

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

54 years ago I ran four 97s on a log mainafold on a 259 inch '54 Dodge engine. In a very light stick shift car. Worked good. I thought at the time. As you know "The older we get, the faster we were."

XXL__ and Deuces like this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That is a lot of carburetors for such a small engine. Would suggest small carburetors or, I wonder if you could run 2 carbs and block off the other 2?

Deuces likes this.
  4. silent rick

silent rick

i think i'd have to go .125 to get to 259

5. silent rick

silent rick

if i could block off two, i'd run progressive linkage

6. silent rick

silent rick

ol tex says that although they look it, you can't run progressive on these

7. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

In some of the pictures it almost looks like the "plenum" under each carb is divided.

But then there are what look like sizeable "balance" passages running fore and aft between the carbs.
    It would be interesting to how Why-and designed that thing.

Is there a heated crossover ?

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I know I did. Stock '55 Plymouth bore.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's too bad they don't reproduce 81's they would be perfect for this application, originals are hard to find.

10. 34Phil

34Phil

gasket over the iron base that blocks one bore?

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That manifold will only fit the "low block" dodges, which means that the largest engine it could have been used on is a 270". I would have to think that even back in the old days they wouldn't have designed a manifold that was unsuited for its intended purpose. I'd try it like it is. I do like the idea of 81's, though.

1946caddy likes this.
  12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

But it's intended purpose may well have been competition use. What works well at El Mirage and Bonneville, may not be suitable in a heavier car with an automatic used as a a family transportation car.

silent rick and Hnstray like this.
  13. silent rick

silent rick

it's going in a 27 T modified with a quickchange

14. silent rick

silent rick

in tex smith's book a complete guide to hemis, he talks about running straight linkage. he said although they look like you could run progressive, there isn't adequate plenum to do so. i was hoping someone on here gave it a try.

15. If your going to cut more than .060 I'd have a sonic test done to make sure your still in good shape for wall thickness. I have one of those motors that had water pits from sitting in bad conditions. My machinist (Earl Floyd & Jim Albrich) chose to sleeve 2 cyl's and stop at .040 instead of going .080 to get clean.
    The Wizzard

16. silent rick

silent rick

sort of like nascar restrictor plates?

17. Squablow

Squablow

If it won't clean up at .060 it might be worth looking for a '56 270 poly block to start with, that way you get the good side mounts and a few more cubes, everything else you can reuse from your current setup. A few extra cubes will help use up what those extra carbs are dishing out, and poly blocks are pretty common and relatively cheap yet. Could get a '55 block if you want to use the front mounts I suppose, for looks. The bigger block would probably be cheaper than custom pistons for the smaller engine anyway.

Hnstray and silent rick like this.
  18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember seeing an article (maybe it was a thread on here) where a guy went through all it took to get "four-in-a-row" to run properly on a Chrysler. If you can find it, it may be a good starting point.

"Rich Fox" - A guy who would try to run one of these on "a heavier car with an automatic" deserves all the problems he'll be getting. There are always some of that type around for some reason.

Hnstray likes this.
  19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Maybe you could get a couple of these and flip them upside down.

[​IMG]

20. silent rick

silent rick

ok, so i improved the situation a little. i just found a 259 truck block on ebay for 10 bucks. it might take me a month to pick it up. i know it will go to 270.
    i still plan on custom pistons to get the compression ratio up. i'm hoping with 29 more mouths to feed...err, i mean cubic inches, it might make a difference.
    what i didn't tell you guys is i have an offenhauser 3x2 to fall back on but for some unknown reason, i really want to run the weiand. it will match the one i have on a t-shirt.

21. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

silent rick likes this.
  22. killbilly

killbilly

It might be easier to just get another t shirt....

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have bored 241s for sleeves .269 and did not hit water.