Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The REAL Birth of Hot Rodding?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The REAL Birth of Hot Rodding?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Would love to see some current pictures, if you took any.:)

Stogy, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Yes! Current pics of what it looks like today would be great!

Stogy, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

cactus1, 34 GAZ, Deuces and 7 others like this.

5. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Here's some of the shots I took:
    IMG_3827.JPG IMG_3826.JPG IMG_3798.JPG IMG_3794.JPG IMG_3787.JPG IMG_3784.JPG

cactus1, Deuces, 302GMC and 4 others like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of Blood, Sweat, Tears, Innovation, Good Times and 15 minutes have went by between those pivotal days and today...the surviving landmarks, vehicles, paper and watered down history move forward ever changing as life moves forward. The insides eerily silent where so much was going on...Its important like many things to remember the roots of where some of the passion we possess evolved from.

Thanks @Jive-Bomber

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  7. catdad49

catdad49

More history of the Ford Motor Company. I wonder if other makes have such an interesting history? The more I learn of it, the Better it gets!

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course they do...I said some of the passion for the hobby came from...lots of competition back then that's for sure.

Deuces and catdad49 like this.
  9. hudson48

hudson48

Was in Detroit recently and did the Henry Ford Museum and the Rouge Factory but unfortunately the Piquette Ave shop was closed that day. Bummer. What we saw at the others was great and also did the Edsel and Eleanor Ford house tour.

10. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I noticed many of the smaller Detroit car museums are closed Mondays and Tuesdays and close at 4PM!

11. Oh, the roots of hot rodding were way before that, back in early B.C. :confused:
    Immediately after the second horse was broke for riding, mankind wanted to know which one was fastest. :cool:

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Riding a horse was way faster than anything with square wheels...Yabba Dabba Doo...:D

Deuces likes this.
  13. noboD

noboD

All of the automotive giants were known to each. Most worked together at one time, some remained friends even when they were competing. If the walls in this building could talk the conversation would be REAL interesting.

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

I sure like that old Ford Plant, glad to see it re-purposed and standing tall. When my daughter was looking for a place to live that was first on my list for obvious reasons...A little too pricey though.

Stogy, Deuces and Malcolm like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

All of them have a history, but many of them are forgotten. Only the strongest ones that lasted the longest are remembered, the small ones were gobbled up by others or went broke. We could just as well be celebrating Maxwell or Rockne as the largest automotive company today and what hot rod dreams are made of. It was a matter of hard work, good engineering, and a whole lot of good luck on Ford's part that his product was successful and grew like it did.

Stogy, catdad49 and Deuces like this.
  16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And dogged determination driven by Henry's king-size ambition, his innovative genius, his calculated risk taking, his skill at surrounding himself with competent people, and perhaps most of all, his understanding of the Everyman need for an affordable, reliable automobile. Just don't think you can overstate his particular brand of innovative genius as a businessman (not so great a human being, but that is a disconnect that happens often enough . . . Steve Jobs, et.al.)

Pretty cool, you ask? Damn straight. Let's face it, the T as a hotrod can hold it's own against anything. The T as a car has to occupy the top spot on most important/influential autos of all time. Thanks for sharing this Jay.

Stogy, Jive-Bomber, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

IMG_1145.JPG

There is a great display of the hundreds of aftermarket accessories and speed equipment designed for the T at the American Museum of Speed in Lincoln NE. This is a shot of a display chassis and you can see a pair of engines in the background.

40two, Stogy, Malcolm and 1 other person like this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Could of been when some one added #2 horse,too one horse cart ?

Stogy likes this.
  19. AndersF

AndersF

Without Dodge brothers Ford would'nt afford to start as a carmaker.
    Without the model T Dodge brothers would'nt afford to start as a carmaker either.
    Thats why i use a Dodge engine in my build.
    If it was good enough for ol Henry its good enough for me.

Stogy likes this.
  20. noboD

noboD

Amen. John Dodge was actually VP of Ford until 1913. The Dodge Boys built all the engines, trans,rear ends and steering gear. Many parts on early T's have the DB logo in them.

Stogy and AndersF like this.
  21. cw

cw
    from Midland

You would really enjoy the old car festival September 8 & 9 at The Henry Ford - Greenfield Village. Usually 400-500 cars before 1932 including speedsters and race cars including the original 999. If you stop by the museum, you can see the first Ford V8.

catdad49 and Stogy like this.