Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine Tech L-79 Camshaft

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Truckdoctor Andy, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Has anyone used the Engine Tech brand L-79 camshaft in their engine? My son and I are building a 350 for installation into his 1963 IH C1100 pickup truck. We are going to use Vortec heads modified for more lift and I wanted to use an L-79 cam. The Rock has this cam in their Engine Tech brand for $48.79, P/N ES179R. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time, the H.A.M.B. ROCKS!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nope, the real thing, found my "151" cam NOS (new in GM tube) long before they went crazy $$$ on that auction site.

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd call Comp Cams and ask for their equivalent of the L79. Don't forget the valve springs as well.

Gary

j-jock, Truckdoctor Andy and Deuces like this.
  4. HiHelix

HiHelix

Bullet Cams has a better staff with a better knowledge base.

5. Thanks for the responses, I’m afraid of the price and quality of this Engine Tech cam. It seems to cheap.

6. You get what you pay for. Beware.

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  7. HiHelix

HiHelix

Amen to that bro!

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Does GM still have that cam in the parts books?????

9. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks Bob!..... ;)

10. Denny, are you running headers or manifolds on your L-79? I was going to use the rams horn manifolds.

11. You'll be fine with the ram horns since the cam is rated at 350 HP. My car is beyond the L79 cam, I run ram horns too but am considering headers. I lose a bit up top north of 5000 RPMs.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Andy, I built this engine over 30 years ago for my long term Nova project, it's still on the stand and never fired. I do have the original Nova rams horns but also have this set of highly modified 1&3/4" headers for it, they really are a little big for an L79 but thought maybe down the road I might get more serious with more cubic inches.

As originally mfg.
    20180212_095835.jpg

Well, this is the only other photo I have of them.
    20170630_143459.jpg

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  13. That’s a gorgeous engine, there is something so cool and pure looking about a 327! I love those valve covers too

14. biscaynes

biscaynes

'Engine Tech' and the price has a china ring to it

belair and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Almost every brand has that cam listed it’s a good cam I’ve used it in a lot of smaller displacement motors , 20 yrs ago whenever you heard “RV cam” it was usually that cam

I had the L-82 cam in a 350 was a good cam also

These days it would probably be better to spend a little more money on a contemporary cam profile to take advantage of all the potential the vortec heads have

Truckdoctor Andy and mrhp like this.
  16. 6sally6

6sally6

What are the specs on the cam?
    Lift
    Duration @ 050
    LSA( very important!)
    Delta Cams are very good and very reasonably priced. US ground in Tacoma Wash.

Chavezk21 likes this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Never heard of Bullet Cams. Rings of being from Shanghai. I think i'll stick with Comp Cams. Love my 327 with a XE262H.

18. That's a good cam, I'm running the Lunati version of their XE268. It really pays to stay with the big boys for quality parts plus you can get a live person on the phone if needed.

19. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Bullet used to be Ultradyne....

nothing spectacular about Comp except their advertising campaign, it’s just an iron stick with a bunch of bumps on it like the rest of them, years back a lot of theirs went flat also

Old-Soul and olscrounger like this.
  20. 66ragtop

66ragtop

GM no longer makes the cam. I would go with the Speed Pro/ Sealed Power brand, their stuff is quality, you get what you pay for. The L79 is one of the best street cams you can use. I just had one delivered from summit this week.
    upload_2018-8-10_7-16-27.png

Attached Files:

21. Glenn S

Glenn S

17 minutes of run time on this Enginetech cam from the rock. Replaced it with a sealed Power cam from Rock. It lasted 30 minutes and only took out one lobe. To compare the two cams side by side there was no visible differences at all. My advice would be whatever cam you choose, use the BEST LIFTERS you can get. One of The Sealed Power lifters from Rock had .060"worn off the bottom of it and yes I used the correct cam lube and a zinc rich oil additive.

Attached Files:

22. Deuces

Deuces

I'll stick with with a "roller" grind.....;)

23. I'll go roller with my big block build. I have never lost a flat-tappet cam over the years, but may have only did 30 or 40 of them. Local shop used to sell Wolverine cams and they were like $29.95 at the time. They came with a tube of spooge as well. You need to be very conservative when breaking in a new FT cam.

olscrounger likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bob
    As you know, roller lifters can come with their own set of problems, I hope I don't find this out personally as I went that route on my aluminum 427 small block.
    My pal and I drove 900 miles to Bakersfield in his Nova with a brand new 468 roller motor, got to Redding and the axles in the roller lifters went T.U. was able to get to Bako and make it to Famoso from town twice but had to hitch a ride home with friends and go back a week later with a tow bar to retrieve it, was not a pretty sight inside that bbc.

25. Glen, thanks so much for your post, I will avoid Engine Tech like the plague. I have never used their parts and darn glad now, thanks again

Deuces likes this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

I wonder if General Kenetics still make that cam.... Or, did they go under?????

27. I just buy the best parts available, have some Howards cam kits saved on eBay. Have it narrowed down to a few grinds. Anything can go wrong with a build despite all the best precautions taken.

I want to make one of my 396 motors into a 427 the hard way, but I'll set up a new thread for that. With a .030 over-bore, 4" crank and 1.645 compression height pistons I can get what I want.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You gonna have your L.I. neighbor Scott Shafiroff build it Bob?;)

29. belair

belair

@bobss396ss396 - what do you mean by conservative? Low rpm on break in, not too much pookey, or something else?