Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Scammer tried to sell me a HAMB member car for 2K

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binkman, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Binkman

Binkman

Some idiot from Europe by the name of Tony Wash tried to sell me a HAMB'ers 34-W for 2,000.
    I went along with the scam and told him I could pick it up tomorrow since I was in the area anyway.
    He wanted the cash before I saw the car saying he was afraid of gangs etc.
    Give me a break. v8 33.jpg f8.jpg

2. Don,t mess with the H.A.M.B. gang :eek::cool:

3. Binkman

Binkman

I had one idiot from Ukraine actually send me a photo of my own chopped '34 a few years back.
    He was going to give me a deal for CASH.
    The car was sold several years before that time.

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

They say they're from Europe to gain trust but they're inevitably from Nigeria. Europe has an effective police service called Interpol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I'll take it! Where do I send the money?

Deuces, belair, Joe Blow and 2 others like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

You really want to take that chance????:rolleyes:
    Unless you want to mess with the seller.... Be my guest!!!! :D

RonaldR likes this.
  7. Fake names, fake locations. These SOB's wouldn't be so bold if there was actually a way to get to them personally.:mad:......Nothing more than thieves.

Deuces, warhorseracing, egads and 2 others like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did he have an ad that you responded to? or did he contact you out of the blue? friend had placed a wanted ad for specific hard to find part on another site - got a quick response at a super price - was a long back and forth communication - was suckered in to sending money for a part that in the end did not exist - buyer beware (sellers too)

9. Binkman

Binkman

He responded to my want ad looking for a '34 sedan delivery or sedan delivery project.
    I knew immediately when I saw that he sent photo's of a chopped coupe that he was a scammer.
    I have seen the car on the HAMB before as well and know the owner was not him.

10. Squablow

Squablow

If you're going to string along a scammer, it's really important never to tell them how/why it's obvious they're full of shit, that just makes them better scammers. Try to use names and terminology that would sound correct to a non-native English speaker (or a non car person) but obvious bullshit to anyone in the hobby. Scammers refine their technique using language skills and terminology they get from previous scam attempts, they learn what went right and what went wrong.

Too many people get mad and write an angry email saying "I know you're full of shit because this is my buddy's car and that picture was posted there and you said blah blah blah" but that's really the opposite of what you want to do. Best to string them along as long as possible, waste as much time as possible (preferably using a non-traceable, throw-away email address) and eventually just fall off the face of the earth, so they never know what threw you off in the end.

If you're ever bored with lots of spare time, go visit 419eater.com and read through some of the archives. It's amazing, and informative. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

11. When the King of Nigeria wants to sell you a 33 Coupe to fund the ransom of his son, YOU HELP THE KING AND BUY THAT COUPE!!!!

12. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Heck I'd give him at least 3 grand for that Coupe !

tomkelly88 likes this.
  13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really enjoy wasting their time. Unfortunately it is also a waste of my time, other than the entertainment value I get out of it. Phone solicitors and scammers usually end up talking with no one listening. I just lay the phone down and tie up their time and telephone resources.

14. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

U guys are to late, I talked him down to $1500 and it will be shipped as soon as Hillary is our next president, LOL.

15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D

17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

18. 1930BeachRat

1930BeachRat

Damn good looking car tho

19. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

You should have told him you were a Nigerian Prince, and for security reasons you would be sending an agent with a check for $20,000 Euro's to secure the purchase of the car and arrange transport of the car. He could keep the extra money for his troubles.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. If those are the photos he sent then he didn't realize the electrical wall sockets are US style and not Europe ....nice try Mr "Tony Wash"

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. marchal

marchal

That 33 3window today in FL.. ( not for sale) IMG_0428.jpeg

clem, kidcampbell71, Deuces and 12 others like this.
  22. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Man, that car has a good look.

23. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

If you would fall for one of these scams, you probably believe the girls on those sex sites are from your area to.:rolleyes::D

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. Country Joe

Country Joe

For $2,500. I can offer protection from the gangs.

25. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

When they call about my car warranty getting ready to expire and this is my last chance to buy an extended one from them, just one more opportunity cuz they’re so nice. I press 1 to be connected to the nice helpful agent. When they come on the line I know they have a headset on, so when I either blow my boat emergency air horn or blow my safety whistle, I can just see them ripping the headset off their lying ass heads! I know they can’t call me back cuz the number that just called is a computerized fake generated one, and they don’t even know who they just got connected to. Fuck’em, I’m in! Let’s play!

kadillackid, Paul B, slim38 and 4 others like this.
  26. Ah hell, I’d have given him $5000….

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  27. What!, you mean they’re not!!

Speed Gems and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. Did I mention that I HATE thieves!!:mad:

Deuces and deathrowdave like this.
  29. I always go along with it, and ask if they can mail it. Some actually say that they will send it to me, and if I don't like it, I can send it back. How nice of them.

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

All you have to do is post a WTB ad on various places like Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace, and the scams will come rolling in! These people watch for the WTB ads for any big ticket item, and then offer up fake deals at super low prices to scam people.