Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford Roadster Top Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Oct 6, 2017.

1. I've noticed that a lot of 32 Ford roadster tops are different in regards to how they attach. Some use snaps above the seat around the body and others have the wood piece above the seat, etc.

What's the most straight forward way to fasten them that looks good? How's the wood piece work?

Thanks in advance.

-Ron

uncle buck likes this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Check out Rod Tops, they have a nice system that uses 2 points for mounting on the body sides and then the top of the windshield posts.

The rest is attached to a padded frame that "floats " on the body which gives you a top that has no snaps on the body.

tofords and dana barlow like this.
  3. The Henry Ford 32 Roadsters had a wooden tack strip around the rear former of the body,this is were the screw in snaps were used back in the day,a lot of the current got hot tops actually float just above the body,like the top Larry is talking about.

Are you thinking about a roadster Ron? HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  4. ^^^ I'd like to build something again. A 32 Roadster seems to be more cost effective to build as far as the reproduction bodies are concerned.

Then again, with the heat and sun we have down here this ain't exactly convertible territory.
    If I could run a nice top that didn't flap around and drive me nuts I might be able to extend my driving season.

If not I'll be 5 window Ron. Or, maybe even 3 window Ron...

5. I have used Sid Chavers "Bop Top" on 3 roadsters. Quality product with a great look. They install pretty easy also. The first one I did with 2 buddies and a case of beer. Turned out great!

dana barlow likes this.
  6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Ron, You are right about the flapping and the reason that I don't have my top on all summer. That top sounds like a whip cracking sometimes. I just use a lot of suntan lotion. 32 roadster 001.jpg

mgtstumpy and Fordor Ron like this.
  7. Ear plugs!

da34guy likes this.
  8. Wasn't there a body being made that had a hidden folding top like a Dearborn Deuce but was glass instead of steel? Are they still around?

9. I think Downs, or its resurrection company, was doing the fiberglass version.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  10. racemad55

racemad55

Search for the thread The Perfect 32 roadster top,lots of ideas

Fordor Ron likes this.
  11. ^^^ I'll look that over again.

Also, I thought about modifying the top so that the rear window could be unzipped and removed to help stop the buffeting.

Anyone tried that?

12. J D

J D

I'm planning on going with Superior Car Parts pre chopped polished stainless top irons and stretching canvas from scratch. Anyone use their stuff before?

13. Andy

Andy

I had a flapping top so made a glass one. I am going to make another cloth one. I rode with Wayne-O to the hill climb and experimented a little with the top. A spoiler anyplace on the top will allow high pressure air to come forward and push the fabric down. No flapping. Will look like Fido's A$$. I am going to make one that slides over the stantions and can be easily removed by pushing the header up. Planning a trip to the west and being comforble on the trip plus able to put the top down for the mountains.
    I have pics of the home made glass top if anyone is interested. It was really easy and cheap.

14. I have a stock type top with 2" chop from LeBaron Bonney I keep it down just about all year. The back window does allow you to open it and snap it up to the top. I do like the Veda Orr roadster look with the side curtains. I like mine because it folds down and is easy to put up if it decides to rain. New Roadster Pictures 002.JPG
    ROADSTER 004.JPG

steveareno, Baron, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  15. 34V8

34V8

JD - If you haven't already committed, make sure they are in business. Some, including me, are having trouble getting in touch with them about purchases we have made, and may now be SOL.

J D likes this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I mentioned Rod Tops earlier.
    My 26 RPU needed a top so I hauled it to Michigan to their shop.
    They did a nice job.
    459B8390-1AAD-4073-A62D-8F5FD627872E.jpeg 8F48971F-ABB9-464B-B189-ABE8AFBC0143.jpeg 3BC1B305-D434-4D6A-8717-03862CC58702.jpeg D7EAA68E-3D76-40BA-A88F-EBCE19EEEC5F.jpeg 1000EC66-D3BC-436B-8E08-F62487AD6A85.jpeg 59CECD36-0DFD-424B-B017-C31DB9697C8F.jpeg 51D545EB-5A60-4D7B-80B4-06864A8E908B.jpeg

dana barlow, J D and mgtstumpy like this.
  17. J D

J D

Hey, any update?

18. hotrodder1932

hotrodder1932

I don't believe Superior Industries is in business. I tried for 6 months to contact them. Also all the old vendors were out of stock. I lucked out and found an old Lebanon Bonney assembled top on Craigslist. I have talked with Kenny at Brookville and he is looking at tooling up for the original irons.

19. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have a "Bop Top" on my Deuce roadster. It attaches to the two original top mounts and the windshield posts and doesn't touch the body. It comes apart and fits into a nice storage bag so I can keep it in the trunk. I originally used a stock type top but when it folded down it limited my rear view and always seemed to sit too high.

20. I've put 85,000 miles on mine & just asked my wife if the top being up bothered her or flapped. She said it didn't bother her & youse guys must be weird. my back window is like ct1932fords as it can be unzipped & 3 snaps hold it to the roof. I can fold it down but unless I put a strap around it ,it will billow out like a parachute.
    I usually just remove it & store it . see ya.jpg

harpo1313 likes this.
  21. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Bob, in the future, when I recover my "Bop Top", a zip out rear window is something that I am going to have done. As you know it really helps with air flow. Sid might even offer it as an option now.

22. E208DF27-4CFC-459E-8AAD-F8067C8D26AC.jpeg Another vote for the BopTop. I made a set of plexiglass windows for mine. It really helps with the flapping at speed and overall makes it a lot quieter. (You can “almost” carry on a conversation.) They keep most water out in a rain.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  23. Sid's " Bop Top" -- with the fold out rear window
    IMG_4637.JPG

Fordor Ron and robracer1 like this.
  24. robracer1

robracer1

^^^^^^^ DEUCE-DEANO I'm thinking about also getting the some Bop Top with the fold out rear window for my 32 roadster, my question is with the smaller rear window open how is the top flapping at speed and did you get the side window curtains?

25. How does the fold out rear window deal work? I’ve seen a few pics of those before and they look like a great solution.

26. Rob,
    I run with it open, cut’s way down on the buffeting, no top flapping at all.

robracer1 likes this.
  27. Ron,
    Two thumb knobs rotate it out on the hinge tighten them back up, thats it. sorry for the lousy pictures, top is off the roadster rite now.
    646071D4-36C2-4322-8230-7E29F16145E2.jpeg 198A58BB-6A06-4C96-BE77-29989CF07D74.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  28. ^^^ Does it come standard on the bop top or did you have it done?

Man... that’s a car right there.

Deuce-Deano likes this.
  29. ]
    Ordered as an option with the top.
    One more picture for you Ron

331A801E-F90B-4667-8408-58781E5F891B.jpeg