Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How can i remove clear coat over spray off chrome grill?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Doyle87fleetline48, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Hi from Australia. Wondering if anyone knew a way to get the clear coat overspray off the grille of my 48 fleetline without ruining the the chrome ,its an original grille in good straight condition. The previous owner who put the clear coat over the natural patina didnt mask it too well.
    Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Could try a clay bar maybe?

Doyle87fleetline48 likes this.
  3. Lacquer thinner on a rag is what I would use. But as always: "try in an inconspicuous place first"

After that hit it with some chrome polish.

4. Lacquer thinner will haze it most likely, but a chrome polish will fix that.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Honestly mother’s chrome paste polish might be enough to polish it off that stuff is fairly coarse

Deuces and Doyle87fleetline48 like this.
  6. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

Windex and 000 steel wool followed by 0000 steel wool

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Oh ok ive actually got one. Ill give it a shot .

8. Its a couple years old, should i soak a rag in thinners first and sit it on it? Would paint stripper damage the chrome?

9. I might put some pics up of it tommorrow theres an area where the clear is reasonably thick on the grille.

Tim likes this.
  10. Latigo

Latigo

I've used lacquer thinner. Then a good polish.

11. Terrible80

Terrible80

Couple years? I'd go with the steel wool.

Doyle87fleetline48 and Dan Hay like this.
  12. Slopok

Slopok

Clay bar will do nothing, don't waste it on the grille!

13. easy off oven cleaner will remove the over spray. HRP

Big A, Deuces and Doyle87fleetline48 like this.
  14. Aircraft paint stripper! Will not hurt the chrome and after leaving it sit till the clear coat bubbles up you can spray it off with water.

15. J53

J53
    from WI

Never use steel wool of any grade on chrome. You’re fooling yourself if you think it’s not micro-scratching the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

if it's a little overspray, laquer thinner. solid spray I'd try the stripper.

Deuces and Doyle87fleetline48 like this.
  17. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

just take some brush on paint stripper from a body supply store. tal strip works awsome and is water soluble, its hard to find sometimes but aircraft stripper is good too, sold at auto body supply stores. brush it on wait 10 minutes, use a china brush to scrub it off and rinse. presto, all cleaned off.

willys36 and Doyle87fleetline48 like this.
  18. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

If it is near good paint stripper or laquer thinner may be a problem. Try starter fluid. Like ether. It has worked for me and takes adhesives off without paint damage.

19. Worse than that, it's likely to embed microscopic bits of steel in the chrome which will promote rusting...

Doyle87fleetline48 and loudbang like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

I third the oven cleaner. When I use it I spray it on, then lay plastic wrap over it to keep it from evaporating, then take a terry cloth towel and rub/wipe it off.

21. Squablow

Squablow

I would take it off of the car and put paint stripper on it, it should clean off nicely without hurting the chrome. Any kind of abrasives, including steel wool, is just adding wear to the chrome.

22. MEK or Methyl Ethyl Ketone if you can find it. But be careful if there is paint nearby, it will be damaged easily by it.
    MEK is a sort of Acetone (which is also a Ketone), but more agressive.

23. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

Use lacquer thinner on a small spot see what happens, better grade slower thinner will cut much better than inexpensive thinner.

Doyle87fleetline48 and loudbang like this.
  24. Fogger

Fogger

The grill on my '55 Delray had a clear coat on it and Aircraft Paint stripper took it right off.

25. I would get some oven cleaner, and try it on some other piece of chrome (not on your car) in case the caustic stuff gets into the chrome.

26. morac41

morac41

Hi.. Never use steel wool of any grade it can strip off the chrome which is a clear chemical to protect the nickel from rusting ...nickel takes hours to adhere to item such as grill ..chrome dip to seal takes minutes .....Use premium thinner or aceatone to remove over spray...be careful not to splash or drip on you paint work..... wash throughly with water and polish with good quality chome polish

27. Thanx heaps guys read all comments looks like ive got some different methods to try. Heres some pics anyway. Thanx heaps from down under. feel free to throw some ideas after you see pics. Ill get to work 20180808_210032.jpeg 20180808_211050.jpeg 20180808_210138.jpeg 20180808_211129.jpeg 20180808_210058.jpeg 20180808_210229.jpeg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  28. The chrome on old cars is pretty tough stuff. My Ford is 11 years newer but I have been able to get almost all of it shined up.

29. Yeah i have thought that its got to be tougher than modern chrome, being original 48 chrome it would have to be, who knows what sort of weather conditions its been in since then and it still has a shine. What did you use on yours to get it to shine? I wonder if there would be a home remedy to get chrome to shine?