Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I want to put an automatic tranny behnd my Desoto flathead 6....PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dodgefran, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Dodgefran

Dodgefran

My wife wants to be able to drive the truck too. My plans were to put the original Desoto 25" engine back in with a T5 standard shift overdrive. BUT...….. now I have to think "automatic transmission". I've checked out Wilco and that would work, if....I didn't care about using a GMC trans. I recall, some years ago, of someone putting in a Slant 6 w/automatic tranny. I am not experienced as most of you so I could use some Pros & Cons in the suggestions. By the way, when we had a big Ford van for wheelchair transportation, somehow we went through 3 clutches in 4 years...………………………………..HELP!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your efforts.

Fran

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Contact 73RR here on the HAMB. He not only if very knowledgeable about Mopars, but sells product, like transmission adapters too. Gary is a good guy and will steer you in the righ5 direction.

Ray

3. 62rebel

62rebel

The P16-D24 online group is an excellent source of information about these kinds of upgrades. Now, I don't know what the bolt pattern, etc is at the back of a DeSoto flathead six, but Plymouth used it until they started using the slant six and THEY put Torque-flites behind them.

4. Posts like these come up on a regular basis. I wonder what people did 75 years ago when automatic transmissions were practically non existent. "I guess I'll never be able to drive, because I can't work that pedal thingy and that funny looking lever. Oh, woe is me". Anyone, with functioning limbs and a semi functioning brain, can learn to drive a stick in a few hours and become pretty proficient in a few weeks. An extra skill, added to the set, couldn't hurt

RICH B likes this.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Based on his original post I’d say he’s tried that and he’s tired and changing the clutch once a year. Can’t say I blame him

Hnstray likes this.
  6. oldsman41

oldsman41

Ok I’m old and may have forgot but didn’t they have a fluid drive option

7. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

8. Arominus

Arominus

QEC has something for you to mount a 727 iirc or also the 518 OD (you want the 92-95 version with 3 wires aka the 46RH) if you go with the 518 there is a box called the compu-shift mini to run the lockup converter and the OD which seems a lot nicer than the vacuum switch route. It requires a TPS added in somewhere but that can be hidden.

9. Anyone that has to change their clutch every year needs an automatic because they, sure as hell, don't know how to drive a manual transmission

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You can only lead a horse to water ;)

11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wilcap makes the adapter , those flatheads run real good..I can see the value in that swap....turbo 350s are still out there cheap...keep us posted ...

12. KenC

KenC

I think an adapter is available for 200-4r, 904, 927 . The 904 would be my choice. Being really weird, I'd opt for the early pushbutton version.. Kind of a pain to mount the button package and cable in the car/truck cab, but sure generates a lot of interest. I had a Torqueflite w/buttons in a '58 F100 w/matching hemi. Either the mentioned P15-D24 or forwardlook groups will have lots of info.

13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have an auto that came off the back of my 1959 dodge 230.

14. Mark T

Mark T

I have this factory adapter that I'm pretty sure is from a Dodge flathead 6 with fluid drive, it might work on the Desoto.

IMG_8133.JPG IMG_8132.JPG

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  15. KenC

KenC

I'd forgotten yours. Out of a panel right? so good heavy duty clutch pack and bands.

OP, this guy has a full package with everything and it's worth a look IMO.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yep out of a 1959 mail truck. IMG_2851.JPG

40desoto, Flat Six Fix and Tim like this.
  17. 62rebel

62rebel

I like shifting gears, too, just not in today's traffic. Want a clutch pedal? Mount one and use it for a dead pedal.

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know next to nothing about Mopars, but I'm just curious. Is that a Fluid Drive type, a Powerflite, or a Torueflite?

19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I dont know anything about dodge trans either. I know its not a fluid drive it was a push button style trans. Maybe an old flat head 6 Dodge guy can tell us.

20. Sounds like a good enough reason to go with the 5 spd!;)

Ben

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It is either a Powerflite (PF) or Torqueflite (TF).......Fluid Drive and Gyro-Matic ceased upon intro of Powerflite in ‘54 models of Mopars in the USA. ‘54 and ‘55 only Powerflite were offered. In ‘56 the Torqueflite was added to production and both PF and TF were offered.

I thought (perhaps incorrectly, that ‘56 and later models) PF units were commonly found on
    6 cylinder vehicles and either PF or TF with V8 models. I don’t know whether TF was available with 6 cyl models. To the best of my recollection, starting in ‘56 models, MOPAR automatics were all pushputton shift (aka “Typewriter Torqueflite” :D) until sometime in the early to mid ‘60s when column and console lever shifters were utilized. The pushbutton choices were and easy way to tell if PF or TF....The PF had Dr and Lo and TF had Dr, 2nd and Lo.

Even though the PF is ’almost’ certainly a bolt on to the Desoto engine, it most certainly is not where the chassis is concerned. The Mopar vehicles through ‘53 and some ‘54 ( except Plymouth and those with manual trans in ‘54) all had a very long bell housing and a crossmember at the back of it as support for the engine. The trans itself hung off the bell housing unsupported. The engine was supported at the extreme front from a mount attached to the bottom of the water pump.

The fully automatic PF and TF used a more conventional and shorter bell housing and trans case and the crossmember would need to be moved to accommodate the newer trans design. However that results in an even longer span from the front engine mounts to the rear trans mount and a lot of load in between. MOPAR used cast iron ‘L’ shaped brackets that bolt to the block along the oil pan rail and turned downward and attached to the lower front of the bell housing to improve support strength.

Using a PF or TF from that era does retain the driveshaft parking brake system. Personally, I’d be more inclined to buy an adapter to a GM trans and use either an alminum Powerglide or, more likely, a TH350 automatic. Much lighter weight and much newer, more efficient design. That would call for a rear end replacement to get a parking brake system, but would also facilitate an axle ratio change that would be needed in any case.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    62rebel likes this.
  22. KenC

KenC

I think that's a TQ, but can't be sure from this angle. How many buttons? That will answer for sure. Since PF had only two speeds and no Park, it will only have RNDL. TQ will have a 2nd gear in addition, RND2L. Either are nearly bulletproof, great trans, but the PF doesn't have the performance potential, and they are both heavy

That one appears to have an attached oil cooler which is a plus.

I put a 413 in a 58 Dodge with it's original air cooled TQ and it never failed, even with the cooling fins cut down to clear the B block converter housing.

23. KenC

KenC

OP, did you take a look at RustyRocket's pic? at second look I'm pretty sure that's a TQ.