Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ball valve as a blaster handle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shakedown St., Aug 5, 2018.

1. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Is anyone using a ball valve as their on/off trigger for their media blaster handle at the end of your hose?

Have you had a problem with it caking up and getting stuck? I've heard Texas Blaster uses this handle.

F11CADCE-E446-49BC-A063-4EF95236F9DC.jpeg

2. My HF blaster came with a ball valve W/the nozzle attached to it. I replaced it soon with a better quality one, but it works fine. I actually prefer it over a deadman

dana barlow and Shakedown St. like this.
  3. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ball valve here. Works fine.

Shakedown St. likes this.
  4. bct

bct

I use it at the start of mine. Inside the cabinet. Works decent but limited adjustment.

5. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

I have read that if it's a problem, it usually means you have wet sand or wet air passing through. My ball valve that came with my used blaster at the start was clogged up and rusted shut, probably moisture.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. 48stude

48stude

Just make sure you open it all the way or it will blast the ball and will leak from that point on. Don't ask me how I know.:p Bill

little red 50, Andy, Tim and 2 others like this.
  7. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Ball valves are meant to be either all the way open or shut as you found out they are not for throttling.
    Globe or needle valves are designed to throttle, not sure how they would work with sand going thru them, pretty abrasive.

48stude likes this.
  8. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

So would a ball valve be something I could use to close shut and open without turning off the air? Something as fast as a deadman handle? I want the convenience of being about to flick off/on throughout the blasting session, while keeping the air on.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  9. You can but it will wear out much faster. I prefer to shut off the sand at the lower valve first, then shut the ball valve at the nozzle. I have gotten pretty good at working that lower valve with my foot.....

10. tinkirk

tinkirk

Ball valve works for me
    Have not had a problem with it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

If you have any sand going though the hose when you shut it off, it will immediately etch the ball and leak. If you turn the sand off at the bottom of the hopper and let all the sand get out of the hose first, it will work.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I use one. I like it better than the dead man. The sand will wear it and cause it to leak. If you try to throttle the flow you can wear one out in a couple of days, snap it all the way open and all the way closed and it will last a long time. They are not too expensive to replace regularly. I don't shut off the sand first, I have another ball valve for the sand and once I get it adjusted the way I like it, I leave it alone.

dan31 likes this.
  13. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Once I get the ball valve "set" at the base, for the correct amount of sand coming through, I tend not to mess with it. I just use the ball valve at the spray end to on/off. Leave the air pressure on. I just last year had to replace the ball valve, after quite a few years of use.
    No, I don't use it every day, but have done a few chassis, MANY fenders, etc.
    Aahhh, Rusty and I work similarly. He just types quicker.

14. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I found that if you don't shut off the sand supply at the bottom of the hopper on a pressurized unit, the sand will compact and plug up the mixing valve.

15. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Would a gate valve be anymore durable?

5F9E53F0-A978-40EB-9473-B2FA7F7BB757.jpeg

16. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Good to know!

17. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

18. evintho

evintho

Ball valve on my Texas Blaster. Also, I swapped the deadman for a ball valve on the HF blaster mod that I posted in your other thread. DO NOT use a gate valve!

19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

The ball valve will work but as the others say it will be destroyed by the sand eventually That goes for the sand valve at the bottom of the blaster too. If you have either valve partially open during the blasting operation the media will cut it's way through the ball or the valve body.

If you notice either valve is no longer is doing it's job take the time to inspect them and replace them as needed. Gate or globe valves do not work well with sand. You have to have dry air going to the blaster. You must also have dry sand. Any moisture in the system can make for a very long and frustrating day.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

I bought a blaster built out of Houston 25 years ago. It had a ball valve that lasted 23 years. I bought a replacement that lasted about 9 months, changed 2 more since. Not sure what the difference is, but I need to figure out something better.

21. i hate any valve at the hose end. i turn the air off to the unit when i want to stop. i lay out everything so i can just keep blasting,................. usually till the sand runs out.

22. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Here is where I got that gate valve info. It confused me some, but a few were suggesting that I use a gate valve where the sand enters. To use a ball valve at the nozzle.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  23. 29moonshine

29moonshine

ball valve wide open or fully shut. the only time i have a problem is when i let some one use it. then 7 bucks to replace it

24. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I have a ball valve on my blaster works but wears out and leaks quick, I will try opening it all the way and shutting off quick and see if that helps. One thing I found that works good is using the male end of air hose quick connectors for a spray nozzle. I had a bunch of old ones from changing to a different style, the hole is just the right size for my compressor to keep up and steel ones seem to be hardened and last longer than the ceramic ones that came with the unit.

25. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Yeah I think I'll go with a ball valve. Someone told me today that a gate valve would not close with material sitting in the bottom of the valve.