Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone know this old Pan Am Lincoln

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by foolthrottle, Aug 2, 2018.

1. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

A guy e-mailed pictures of this old Carrera Panamericana Lincoln, anyone know the original builder owner?

Attached Files:

2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I know that it is cool. I love the Pan Am cars.

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. The car was supposedly driven by Chuck Stevenson. HRP

6. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I don't think this is the original Chuck Stevenson car. My understanding is all of the originals were destroyed.

Attached Files:

7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Do you think the op is original? Cool find, did you get it?

8. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I don't think its original, from the event stickers I would guess it was built into a racer some time in the mid 90's I was thinking I might want it but theres no front hood or fenders.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  9. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

So whos got 1952/53 Lincoln fenders and hood, front bumper?

10. chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Actually '52 - '55 fenders & hoods would interchange, & even though the '54 - '55 bumpers are different, they'd still bolt on.

12. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Do you have access to parts in Calif?

13. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Go online : "Road Race Lincoln Register" They are dedicated to these Lincolns, & will definitely be interested in this one(probably will have at least some of, if not most of, the available history on this car, as well as parts sources & "tips".) Other parts sources in Hemmings Motor News.

loudbang likes this.
  14. 62rebel

62rebel

One of my great missed opportunities was a complete 54 Capri hardtop that the owner wanted $500 for. Might as well have been asking $50k at the time, as I was just out of boot camp and payday might have brought me $150

leon bee, loudbang and czuch like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  16. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Years ago in Mexico I met Crawford's navigator Ricky Inglesias he told me he wrecked (washed out,his term)the race car hitting a bunch of Burros on the road at night, the car pictured in the Hemmings story was a never raced back up car. I saw a really nice replica of his car with all the little period tricks ,like blower motors for the rear brakes etc.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Decal on the door of the yellow car in the original post says 1996 /1994 1998 so it may have been run in one of the revival races and used the 103 number to honor the original Lincoln with that number. Word was that those cars in the races in the 50's were pretty well beat to death by the finish of the race if they finished.

czuch likes this.
  18. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Having been to the recreated race, it was always a shock to see cars with new chrome and very expensive paint jobs because by the end of the 4th day (if they lasted that long) the cars looked like someone had gone after them with a sledge hammer and a shotgun and sanblaster, especially the underside. Some of the highway stretches you would cruise on had small volcanic rocks kicked up by the cars capable of damaging a radiator, to say nothing of the speed bumps (topes). On one stretch of highway I was cruising at 100 plus with an Olds on my tail, a group of Burros appeared in front of me, I just missed them, the Olds didn't

Jet96 and loudbang like this.
  19. Nobey

Nobey

The37Kid likes this.
  20. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I;m not sure but my best guess is this car was built in Calif. in the early 1990's for the recreated La Carrera Panamericana race.

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I think Herschel McGriff drove his back to Oregon, after winning the 1950 race. He also drove across the country to compete in the Southern 500. Men and cars, were tough back then !

loudbang, czuch, Nobey and 1 other person like this.
  22. Nobey

Nobey

I built one in 1993 for Andre Dups, the head of Mercedes in Switzerland. Bob Estes sold him a stock
    1954 Lincoln out of his collection. He wanted a car built that he could run in the Pan-American re-creation,
    and also take back to Europe, to run in the vintage races there. The entry fee for the race was $3500. The car
    went to Switzerland after the race, and they displayed it at the dealership. Another guy from So-Cal wanted a
    car built for the race, and contacted Bill Stropp. Bill was a little under the weather at the time, so was unable
    to build the car for them. I don't know who ended up with that build, but this could be the car your looking
    at. Also George, "can't remember his last name", but he owned Carrera Shock Absorbers, had a 1954 that he
    ran, with a 351 Cleveland in it. Back in the day they were running 105 M.P.H. George was running 130 M.P.H.
    in the re-creaton, and won.....

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and czuch like this.
  23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Pan Am.
    HA!!
    At first I thought it might be staff type car from Pan Am airlines.
    I had a Packard that was an American Airlines executive limo.
    Given ya never know whats gonna come up on the HAMB.
    I need a drink.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Funny you would mention Carrera shocks I got an email from Dick Anderson yesterday and he included a picture of the remains of their Lincoln race car, but asked me not to post it, the body is toast but the chassis looks like it could be cleaned up and of course he's got race motors, the most interesting part of that car was the 8 speed trans? 130? the race organizers warned him a couple of times about going over 150 MPH mexicanroadracecars.com

loudbang, Nobey and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Ricky was a good friend of mine though I didn't meet him till after he left Crawford and became the crew chief on the Maverick unlimited hydro. He was the brains behind Crawford's success.

loudbang likes this.
  26. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Ricky was a the event hotel and greeted some of the racers at the end of the race in 1995. Because I was driving a 55 Chrysler he told me a couple of stories about Kiekhafer (Mercury Outboards) trying to hire away the Lincoln drivers. Those are the kind of unexpected things that happen down there.

loudbang and Nobey like this.
  27. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I heard that one. Did he tell you about Crawford trying to get him to take a test ride in the Indy car?

loudbang likes this.
  28. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

that has nothing to do with Lincolns but I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to hear it, we'er waiting

czuch likes this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My old friend Len Sutton. LS 1.jpg LS2.jpg

30. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You had to get some beer in him before he would even talk about Indy but he was not fond of driving, especially an Indy car but they needed some handling evaluation on the car a couple weeks before Indy and the driver wasn't there for some reason. Ricky was the crew chief so Crawford said why don't you drive it? After some lengthy discussion and coercion , Ricky got in the car. Took several laps to even get fast enough to use the brakes. Finally figured out what he needed too know and came in. He didn't realize it at the time but later found he had to go change his shorts. Ricky was one who really got excited when he was telling a story so you really can't appreciate his stories unless you heard them in person.
    We built most of the hardware and the injectors for the Maverick so he was an almost daily visitor at the shop.

scott27 and loudbang like this.