Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical new heat shrink solder and shrink tube terminals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olcurmdgeon, Aug 3, 2018.

1. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I did a search, couldn't find reference to these terminals. Has anyone used them? Put the two wires in, apply heat gun and solder the two wires together as well as shrink tube both ends. For somebody who is not skilled at wiring and connectors, this looks like a good idea IF they work.

https://chicdelta.com/products/waterproof-solder-wire-connectors

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

3M™ Scotchlok™ Butt Connector, Heat Shrink Seamless
    is what you want

3. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

H380, thanks for the info, do you use the dry or the sealant filled?

4. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

Been using those in aviation for years. Far easier, faster, and more reliable than hand soldering, and not hard and subject to over- or under-crimping. Excellent connection, and as vibration proof as you're going to find in a wire connection.

Kinda pricey. Can't have everything.

5. partssaloon

partssaloon

I've been selling them for about 20 years now. They work great. Lengthened the wires going between engine and the computer (like 30 wires) and never had a issue or failure. They are also available in all the wire terminal ring sizes.

CudaChick1968 and loudbang like this.
  6. FWIW, I think they have these in Chinese knock offs too on amazon, like everything spend more and buy quality items made in the USA.

7. 41woodie

41woodie

I purchased a slightly different style from Del City, I've had to replace several due to oxidation and crumbling of the melted solder. I just looked at Del City's online products and notice that several of this series of connectors are labeled obsolete.
    Also I looked at your website link "Chicdelta" the other items in their catalog includes detoxing massage cream and a rotating curling iron brush, as well as a ton of other similarly useful items. If you want to try this style connector out you might want to find a domestic source.

966425_primary_225px.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would think you must have to have a hell of a good heat gun to melt the solder with these. I'm sure the ole' ladies hair dryer ain't gonna do it. Perhaps that have developed a new type of low temperature solder that might come with it's own problems. Just thinking out loud.

54vicky likes this.
  9. 41woodie

41woodie

It is low temp solder my heat gun handled it ok but you have to be careful because it goes from solid to melting through the shrink tube in a hurry.

10. settoon3

settoon3

I used a small butane torch, worked fine once you got the hang of melting the solder and not melting the coating

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  11. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Yep....first saw and used these nearly 50 years ago when I worked at Kodak Apparatus Division in Rochester, NY. They work great, and are pretty easy to use.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Been using them for years. Difficult to impossible to find locally.

Ben

loudbang likes this.
  13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have a source? Online, mailorder, etc.?

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

15. squirrel

squirrel

I wonder how the flux works on this? Apparently, it does...

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I questioned the stability and reliability of the solder. I would want to do it right the first time. Pain to have redo a complete wiring job because if one or few connections failed , I wouldn't trust the rest.

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Plus I want to drive not be worried about it.

18. When the first one of mine fails, I will let you know. Been holding for over 10 years and half a million miles.

Ben

Hnstray, Blue One and settoon3 like this.
  19. been/seen alot of advertising of these lately. didn't notice weather it was the American made ones or the imports.

seb fontana likes this.
  20. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

checked out link from bobss396, and they emailed me that all their heat shrink terminals are US made and the shrink tube is 3M. At my age (75) I want to make a good connection, not find myself in the dark on the side of the road with a flashlight in my teeth fixing a connection that came loose.

Hnstray, scotty t and CudaChick1968 like this.
  21. Sporty45

Sporty45

Interesting info, I'm in! :cool:

22. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

All kinds of tools come up on FB, recently these have been coming up, I'll check the brand next time I see them. I'd want the 3M and USA made.

23. I don't trust solder that melts with a heat gun. I mean realy how strong can it be?

24. Crimps for me.... A properly done crimp is equal to or better than a solder job any day....

Muttley likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hundreds of millions of cars have hundreds of crimps.

If they were a problem, this wouldn't be the case.

This is a solution, looking for a problem.

Muttley likes this.
  26. I started using them 25+ years ago, we would get them at work and some had a shelf-life on them, so they would give them away to us for home use. Like any other electrical connection, you need some strain relief so the connection is not stresses. Under the hood they hold up well and I sleeve them with black shrink tubing.

27. I love crimps too. I've invested in a variety of crimp tools and wire strippers. So I'll use either depending on where on the car it is. .. and what terminals/splices I have on hand. Harbor Fright makes a very nice set of shrink splices.

28. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

We use the dry and use tinned copper marine wire. I also use Thomas & Betts Kopr-Shield on regular non shrink terminals before you crimp. Also coat the terminal studs and screws.

Hnstray likes this.