Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stuck flathead tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Addcox, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ended up with a flathead 3 sp tranny that has a tailshaft off what looks to be a '49-'53 Ford overdrive tranny. It was all coupled to a 354 Hemi that never was put on the road. What does someone recommend to unstick the guts ? The top is off but I don't see much rust at all. Thanks for any advice.

2. Take it apart.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"The top is off". Is this a later model "top-loader" or an early Ford type with a shifter on top? Does it have a regular 4 bolt pattern where it bolts to the adapter or is it the large pattern like an early Ford? It may be stuck in two gears; if you can move any of the gears manually, perhaps you can get them in the proper positions.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. KenC

KenC

This is a case where a pic really is worth a thousand words!

Hnstray likes this.

5. Gary .... did you buy that from the guy with the '37 Ford coupe ??

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

youse guys got some kinda 'brotherhood' in Texas?? :D

Ray

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has the bellhousing as part of the case, top shifter which is off at this time. The seller said he tried to get any gear to turn but was unsuccessful. I would like to install it in my '40 sedan which has the stock leaking flathead 3-sp coupled to a nice 327. The banjo 4:11 will be swapped for an 8" or 9" Ford/Maverick V8 rearend. I've never seen this type tranny with an o/d tailshaft, open drive setup. It really looks like the entire tailshaft off a '49-'53 Ford flathead 3-sp with o/d. I was thinking about filling the case with molasses and soaking it for a while.

8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought the early hemi adapter to early Ford tranny from the guy who gave me the stuck tranny. This particular guy has never owned a '37 coupe that I know of. He lives is China Grove, I think.

9. Mac VP

Mac VP

A couple pictures of this transmission would be very helpful. Something doesn’t sound right.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yeah...Picture! After post#7, my reaction was "Ain't no such thing."
    I don't know of a top-shift box that will take what must be a '49 Merc type OD!
    Early Ford type OD boxes (Lincon V12, '49 Merc) had different casting at the back to accept the overdrive.

11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

12. Andy

Andy

I have not seen a top shifter with OD. There is a rod that is pushed by the first/reverse lever when in reverse to lock out the freewheeling. That is what locks the trans from having the car able to roll when parked. You always put an OD car in reverse when parked. I once had a wreck when parked.
    I can't see the rod working with a top shifter.

13. oldsman41

oldsman41

Yeah i have to agree with Andy it sounds like the lockout lever is jammed in the trans. The trans isn’t that hard to take apart and put back together but i would see if the rod looking from back of trans forward left upper side is in or outward if in pull it back out. You may have to get a screw driver in side at an angle to help it be gentle i mean real gentle these break real easy. A pic would help though I’m just going on the fly here.

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, HELL YES, Quincy. Plus, we have tacos smothered in guacamole(pronounced "wa ca mo le"). So many "foreigners" call it "gwa ca mo lee". Gotta get it right.
    O.M.G. Taking pictures of such doggies in Texas would almost qualify for animal abuse. LOL

15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is new info to me. I replaced the synchronizers in a '39 way back in '73. That trans went behind an "Iron Duke" in my '34 2-dr. It was very simple. I will look for this rod when I get home in a few days. I have never seen a flathead tranny with this tailshaft housing. There is no adapter that couples the case to the tailshaft housing. I'll get some shots of it so you guys can see it, then tell me what the hell I have. It would be a great solution to maintaining my stock x-member and still have a true cruiser. I don't want to pull the body and install a 700R4 because the car has been rewired with a professional kit and is all together and actually runs fine but is no good for my long-winded cruises. I wouldn't have to pull the body if this freaky looking unit could be used together with a dropout rear from Ford.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Flathead_TransOD_1949to50 copy Madified.jpg
    It should look something like this I think.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Gary, I did a roughly similar trans swap on a ‘47 Ford Coupe I had about ten years ago. I had a’53 Merc Flathead and stock driveline with 3.78 gears. It need a more highway friendly ratio. By chance I happened into a ‘49/‘50 Merc trans (non-OD) and noticed the bolt in capability of the front of the trans but had to investigate the back side compatibility with the X member. And, of course, an open drive rear axle. The latter was easy with a Chassis Engineering kit and an 8” Ford rear end.

But back to the X member. It was necessary to remove the original trans mount support from the X member to provide clearance for the tailshaft housing. I drilled the rivets of the bottom plate at X, then drilled the rivets of the trans mount support, fabricated a new mount support compatible with the new trans...then bolted the bottom plate back on ......voila’.

All that said, I had considered how all that would work with an O/D trans. I did not have to measure, but ‘eyeballing’ the X member, clearance would be questionable and most certainly really tight at a minimum...... it would not surprise me that a modification of the X member could be necessary. The solenoid and governor being the most likely areas of interference.

Bearing mind, I was dealing with a ‘47 era chassis, not a ‘40, but the X member has to be very similar.

Ray

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

See my post above......hope it is useful in some way.

Ray

19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took several shots of the tranny. Now, I have never posted photos from my Android to this site, or to any site. Can you steer me through how to do this ?

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This blowup looks like my trans EXCEPT this one has no bellhousing as part of the case. Also, my tranny is a top shift, like a '39. I just added this last comment at 430 am, Tuesday.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just took some shots of the tranny and I didn't notice a rod on the left side of the case., not that it isn't there. Hopefully, one of you can explain how to post pics from my cellphone. I'm on my laptop but can go to a desktop if that will help.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hadn't even considered the room needed for the solenoid on one side and the kickdown ? on the other side.

23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Putting the OD trans in a 35 to 40 frame is not easy but can be done with some significant modifications to the X member. I covered the install and frame modifications that I made in my 40 ford coupe build thread a few years ago . The main change I would make to the install is to make the bottom center plate removable. The only reason I didn't was because I wanted to leave the socket for the wishbone intact. The way it is configured now requires me to pull the engine out to remove the transmission. You can see the modifications made starting on Page 5 post 146 of the old thread titled, A forty ford coupe for Uncle Mike. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/a-40-ford-coupe-for-uncle-mike-build-thread.949053/

24. Andy

Andy

Gary sent me some pictures of the transmission and I am posting them for him.
    I don't think I have ever seen one like this. It must be really rare. My best guess is 49-50 pick up. MacVP needs to chime in. Could it be a combination of Lincoln and Ford parts????
    The case looks like a 78 Ford case and the OD a BW.
    IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1293.JPG IMG_1292.JPG IMG_1290.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. mkubacak

mkubacak

26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it. I would agree early fifties Ford pickup. I don't know if they came with overdrive, though. It will be interesting to see what Mac has to say.

EDIT : Just did some checking and it looks like OD was not available on Ford pickups until 1953. Also, I would imagine that if it was, you had to have the column shift. Perhaps a one-off combination of a floorshift transmission and a late forties Lincoln OD?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  27. Andy

Andy

It would be nice to know the tooth count on the input.
    It must have worked as you can see the remains of the speedo cable and the lock out cable.

28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Were Lincolns torque tube drive through '48 models like the Ford/Mercury cars?? And when did OD become available on Lincolns? Did they use the Columbia 2 spd axle like the Fords/Mercs?

Ray

29. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Interesting. I bet this is a custom job that is often discussed and rarely completed - adapting an OD tail to a '39 style toploader...

30. The second pic suggests why it is stuck.
    It is rusted to fuck.

3banjos likes this.