Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Where's the Custom Packards?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Bluestone

Bluestone

[​IMG]
    Golden Pakara... made in Finland, interior:
    [​IMG]

Junkyard K.. made in Finland
    [​IMG]

2. Bluestone

Bluestone

3. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Seen this in on Craigslist. It's for 2500. I could see it in my imagination finished but they were going for a el Camino Packard Kustom Build. Check it out. 00i0i_3GKCP8oJCjK_600x450.jpg
    00j0j_2DnGlGm3AvP_600x450.jpg

droppedstepside likes this.
  4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Donuts, I'm still hoping you get to sink your teeth creatively into the Torsion-Level.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  5. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Me too, the torsion bar setup is one of the cool aspects of my car. I don't plan on bypassing or even swapping frames on the 55. Everyone who has had the torsion self leveling system tells me nothing but good things and has urged me to dive in and use it. I've read where guys have been able to manipulate the system to thier liking with a switch inside the car. I'm curious to how it will react during some donuts.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  6. I wanted a Packard project and bought this 49 for cheap. Had stuck valves and I was not able to get legal paperwork so I sold it to a buddy. Too bad. I still have the tailights.. 49packardLR.jpg 49packardLF.jpg

7. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

46 Packard I built a few years ago IMG_3477.JPG 46 Packard 7-30-10 (1).jpg ears ago

desotot, mr57 and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  8. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

My buddy as a 56 Packard parts car with the torsion level system. We've talked about a body swap of some kind. It might make a cool car hauler with a COE cab of some sort

Bobby

9. Dammit man!!!
    There’s a ‘49 4 door bone stock, hibernating under a quansit hut, in Orlando
    (Navy Base long gone)
    Dreamed of a Jonathan Ward/Derelict/ICON build, with 100% stock appearance, but modern chassis and driveline
    Remember the one in the Porky’s movies ???

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

i067049.jpg

rudestude and jakespeed63 like this.
  11. If I’m not mistaken I believe an updated version of the Liberty 12s were used in WWII PT boats. Three engines per boat.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

czuch and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Saxman, the 12s in the PT boats were a bit of a different design. After WWI a new aero engine was designed and there were a number of updates throughout the 20s but one had to keep in mind that Colonel Vincent who was Packard's Chief engineer had a passion for racing boats such as Gold Cup. He was a successful racer and adapted the early 20s redesign and raced in the 20s Sweepstakes races on the Detroit River and elsewhere with adapted aero engines.

In the late 30s when a bunch of government money was set aside to come up with new experimental boats. The new boats would become known as PT (patrol torpedo) boats and Packard was given a contract to come up with an experimental engine. The new engines were to be based on the Harmsworth marine engines (1M-2500 and 2M-2500-which had been based on the 3A-2500 aero engine). Just so you know without getting too off track on this thread, Harmsworth was the British Trophy for Gold Cur racing boats, that of course England had held pretty exclusively until Gar Wood a Detroiter took the trophy on a few occasions.

The engines were quite impressive. Harold Mistele a Detroit coal dealer and good friend of my grand packard_pt_boat_engine_1_by_skoshi8.jpg father later acquired two of Gar Wood's Gold cup boats (the family still owns at least one) and Harold also owned a PT boat with the Packard engines which I saw back in the 70s. It was a lot of this Packard engine hype and the fact that my grandfather worked in the experimental department at Packard in the teens and specifically on the Liberty that put me on the quest to track down and buy the #1 Liberty pictured above (in my earlier post).

Here is a picture of one of the PT boat engines, although I do not believe this is one of the very earliest designs but very similar of course.

Hope the OP does not mind this diversion from his original purpose of the thread.

Black_Sheep, X38, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Saxman, I forgot to mention there were PT boats with two engines and later three engines.

Saxman and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  14. You Sir, are a wealth of knowledge! Thank you for sharing, Jim. Apologies to the OP if we got too far off track. Back to the Packard customs!!

czuch and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  15. Hey @Jive-Bomber, I was a bubble head in the same boat as you, figuratively. After years of spending lots of my free time at the base hobby shop, my last duty station provided all I and friend needed to build a custom Packard from a derelict hippy wagon. The big straight 8 would haul us and 10 of our closest friends up and down the hills of Seattle with ease, and with the 3spd/OD would cruise at 75. Just follow the swan to good times!

JnS car book058.jpg JnS car book067.jpg JnS car book069.jpg JnS car book070.jpg JnS car book071.jpg

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

Could be a numbers thing 1950 largest Packard production a little over 100,000 Ford 1.2 million just more raw material.

17. 'Mo

'Mo

99% stock.
    100% Kool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  18. wvenfield

wvenfield

19. 'Mo

'Mo

Stance. Paint. Done.
    (Though I wouldn't say no to some gold plated accents! ;))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  20. 'Mo

'Mo

Bones Noteboom's, sadly destroyed by fire en route to Sacremento Autorama.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  21. 'Mo

'Mo

22. 'Mo

'Mo

Front view of the Golden Pakara...
    (From CustomRodder)
    [​IMG]

desotot, droppedstepside and Jet96 like this.
  23. Movinman

Movinman

My in progress 36 120 Business Coup 00FEC1D9-C733-481B-B9A9-EA77EABED33C.jpeg 630DDBB6-8047-4F97-A9B7-39486350D00F.jpeg B160BA06-1317-47F7-9B88-B948B7964DA0.jpeg e.

24. 'Mo

'Mo

The Fitzpatrick custom 1940 Packard, designed in 1947.
    Currently in the Joe Bortz collection.

[​IMG]

Squablow, Jet96, Sancho and 1 other person like this.
  25. 'Mo

'Mo

Gene Meek's Olds powered '52 Packard four-door, built in 1954.
    Featured in Motor Trend in Mar., 1955, and still with us!

[​IMG]

Squablow, Jet96 and Sancho like this.
  26. 'Mo

'Mo

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That's a fork in the road, of sorts. One branch leads to Sam Barris; the other leads to Spohn of Ravensburg ...

28. 'Mo

'Mo

Well noted.
    Interestingly, I remember reading long ago that the Fitzpatrick was one car in the Bortz collection that he would not consider parting with!

29. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

Friend has a rare one he's been working on a while... now on the road... Ford engine/trans/rear.

Attached Files:

droppedstepside and BigO like this.
  30. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

In one of the threads , it has Packard fast back dream car, I was never into that body style. In junior high my friends dad , a truck driver , always talked about putting the Packard motor in his semi, said it acted as if it had more torque. Any how one of the 53ish , is for sale by me , since seeing the factory show car , I feel like grabbing it.